86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mysterious Gas Leak? '88 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mysterious Gas Leak? '88 4x4

So my truck has been sitting begging to be driven, buuut until I come up with enough money to bribe the DMV to reduce the previous owners registration costs, its all but stuck. Anyway. Was going to wash it today. Started her up, she had a bit of a hard time. (hasn't been started in 2 weeks) moved her to the curb, parked her, and shut her off. I didn't need to touch the gas pedal or anything. Just let off the clutch a bit and creeped into the place I wanted her.

Turned around about 2 minutes later and noticed she was leaking gas. From the front end, passengerside, and it was coming out of the frame. There was a small hole in the frame rail, and when I plugged it with my finger the leak stopped. Let it go, and the gas would come pouring out. I've found all the fuel lines (I think) and can't seem to find any sort of leak in them at all. The only place that's wet is this one small compartment in the frame rail where the gas is leaking out from. And about 10 minutes later, it stopped. But that was a lot of gas.

Anyway. It's never done this before. First time I've ever seen anything like it. I've posted pictures but I'm not sure if they will help. Anyone had this problem before? She's not in the best condition. I got her for free, and she was sitting out in a field for about 4-5 years. But once I got her started she ran great. I thought. Anyway. If anyone has any sort of experience with this, please let me know.

Now, if you look at that big hole there, just to it's left is a much smaller hole that's slightly distorted due to the amount of gas simply flowing out of it. I stuck my pinky in the larger hole, but there's no gas there. I can't get my finger in the little hole to figure out where the gas is coming from.

Another image, a bit clearer. It's running down onto the cylindrical piece there to the left, and dripping off.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:26 PM

Maybe its the line from the tank to the fuel filter or the fuel filter it self .

If it's efi then the fuel filter is under the intake plenum .

Last edited by bipolarandproud; 03-28-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The charcoal canister releases pressure (or whatever) through a hose that is usually tucked into the frame.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:32 PM

X 2 on what on the charcoal canister could also be that .
Old 03-28-2010, 03:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
He's got problems if the charcoal canister is puking gasoline. It's supposed to vent fumes, not gas. If the frame got that wet from just starting it, the leak should be relatively easy to trace.

Pay attention to the grade that the truck is parked on, as that will play a role in how the gas drippings ended up where they are currently situated. Judging by the fact that the lines (lowest one in those clips is the pressure/feed line) are dry, I'd look up higher near the union that meets the softline for the fuel filter.

Edit: then again, that gas line looks a bit crusty in one spot there.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:13 PM

I love how you call the truck her and she...lol!
Old 03-28-2010, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jory121
I love how you call the truck her and she...lol!

She's my baby. lol My rusty, crusty, fluid leaking baby. Her name is Christie. XD Lol.

Okay. So recently I had some work done on the Fuel Filter...and It wasn't done by any certified guy really. It was a mobile Mechanic...so that may be it. I didn't even think of that. As for the Charcoal Canister....if there is gas coming out of it...how would I find that out?

*runs out to check the fuel filter*
Old 03-28-2010, 05:40 PM

Wow..don't I feel stupid. Haha....have to get tools first before I go looking at things. >.< I have been using borrowed tools this whole time and don't have any of my own. So I cant look. The gas eventually stopped dripping out. and the bucket I placed under it was...bone dry somehow. Anyway. I checked the rusty crusty fuel lines and, considering the way gas cleans, can't see any sign of any gas leaking out THAT much. Of course...I don't have any proper tools to rule things out. so keep coming up with possible suggestions please.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:54 PM

Check your gas cap, it should be a vented cap, if its not presure will build up in the tank and will force the gas out of the charcoal canister. If its the original gas cap it could be bad.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by myyota
Check your gas cap, it should be a vented cap, if its not presure will build up in the tank and will force the gas out of the charcoal canister. If its the original gas cap it could be bad.
I disagree. If the vehicle has a charcoal canister, it will NOT have a vented gas cap. The entire purpose of the charcoal canister is to prevent gas fumes from venting to the atmosphere. Cars with vented caps (typically 70's and earlier) didn't have a charcoal canister at all.

With the charcoal canister, the vapors will stay in the system and stick to the charcoal. Generally, when the vehicle is started and up to operating temperature, the vapors will be pulled into the motor via vacuum and burned, which is cleaner than simply venting to atmosphere.

Many emission control stations (for '96+) test for the functionality of the gas cap to ensure that it's properly sealed so that it can NOT vent. It's the same on our OBDI trucks, just not tested.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by shaeff
I disagree. If the vehicle has a charcoal canister, it will NOT have a vented gas cap. The entire purpose of the charcoal canister is to prevent gas fumes from venting to the atmosphere. Cars with vented caps (typically 70's and earlier) didn't have a charcoal canister at all.

With the charcoal canister, the vapors will stay in the system and stick to the charcoal. Generally, when the vehicle is started and up to operating temperature, the vapors will be pulled into the motor via vacuum and burned, which is cleaner than simply venting to atmosphere.

Many emission control stations (for '96+) test for the functionality of the gas cap to ensure that it's properly sealed so that it can NOT vent. It's the same on our OBDI trucks, just not tested.
First Gen trucks and 4Runners doesn`t have any of that OBD crap on it. The gas cap is vented to allow air into the tank, and gas fumes are pushed out through the charcoal canister, the charcoal in the canister traps the gas fumes in the charcoal and the rest is vented out the bottom of the charcoal canister, there is nothing connected from the charcoal canister to the intake on the first gen trucks.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:23 PM

>.O So...how do I know if it's vented or not, then I could end this debate now by going outside and looking at my gas cap. I know that everytime I turn it to put gas in it hisses at me. Even if there's plenty of gas in it.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:29 PM

If i remember right, if you remove the gas cap and look at the inside of it there should be 3 or 4 small vent holes in it. The tank will hold a little presure, but not a whole lot.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
myyota is correct, also if the lines on top of the charcoal canister are on wrong it will dump gas too.

Don't know if this will help:

Last edited by BigBluePile; 03-28-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
first off what engine is it? 22RE or 3VZE? If its the 6 cyl. then i would check into the fuel line from the tank to the filter. The filter is on the frame rail tucked up inside right in front of the tank. it is notorious for being difficult to R&R, and if you are not careful it is fairly easy to tweak the hardline after it. if this line is even slightly damaged it will leak fuel since it is the high pressure line and it would be leaking right on top of the frame. i could see it going into the frame and out the hole in the bottom. There is also an area on the 3vz where the lines go up onto the frame and into the tank. If you get some dirt or mud up there it is hard to clean out and promotes rusting of the fuel lines fast.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Looks like a 4banger...you can tell by the brake caliper...
Old 03-29-2010, 02:01 PM

Bluepile is correct. 4banger. 22re. I've checked the gas cap and it doesn't seem vented in anyway. I got in touch with my father (also a mechanic, though he can't look at the vehicle since he lives several states away) and he says he's never had a problem with Charcoal canisters. (of course, he's not toyota specific so yeah) He said he would think that the vent for the canister would be further back, towards the filler hole.

the leak is most certainly NOT coming from somewhere further back in the frame rail as far as I can tell. I can stick my pinky in the big hole behind the hole the gas was coming from, and used another finger to plug up the small hole where the gas was leaking from. My pinky in the big hole never got wet, or even smelled of gas.

He did however tell me to check out the hoses leading out of it, perhaps one of them is bad, or, hooked up wrong. I'll get a picture of it, but in all honesty, I think my charcoal canister is on it's last legs. It looks..like lol.

Like I said. She's a rusty crusty bitch.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:29 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I dropped a tank one time and x'ed the vent and return lines up... did that same exact thing...

NEXT!
Old 03-29-2010, 03:50 PM

Did the leak happen immediatly? I Just dropped the tank, because I had to replace my fuel pump. However. After I drove it around, I never noticed a leak. This has just started, and I have started it and moved it several times, without incident. When you crossed the lines, did it do it immediately? This might be the answer to my problem.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:59 PM

Had the same problem with my 86 runner. There is a section in the fsm for testing the charcoal canister. I just took the gas cap off and threw it away. solved the problem

Quick Reply: Mysterious Gas Leak? '88 4x4