Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My Truck Got Wrecked #$%@! By Another Toyota!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear man, glad your okay!

Time to build a trail rig. My truck looked just like his, except mine was little worse and was more down the side too. Loved the YOTA so much I couldn't let it die. Completley restored it. You don't even wanna know what kinda time and money it took. Guess im crazy.....

Crazy in love with my YOTA!!!

Start savin pennies. You can find body shops that have frame straighteners!!! Just my $.02

Last edited by notjustatoy; 06-18-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:18 PM

...it will never be the same, but i think you know that already. im not a professional, and i can only do so much..

..it will still cost a lot of money to fix.. and with work and school i can only put in a night or 2 a week, but most of the work you can do yourself.. its more time consuming/tedious than hard.. but you will learn a lot about your yota.

..not trying to be negative.. just wanted you to know.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:36 PM

There's someone local trying to get $9,000 for his 1st gen 4runner. Just because he's a mechanic makes him think that his truck is worth THAT much more. Maybe $500-$1000 more for a well maintaned rig but his is bone stock and its got the 22re and IFS. I'll try and find it for you.

Found it quick! As I suspected it was still for sale. Show this to them and see what they think your NEWER truck is worth.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/car/715477448.html

Last edited by hmmwv15; 06-18-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:42 PM

Another priced at $4,300

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/car/720546000.html

And $5,500

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/car/676305785.html

Yours is a 95 right?

Oh wait, just saw you want above $6,500. Even still my little 87 2wd KBB's at about $2,500, but you have to choose between xtra cab and long bed, but I have both. So if that option was in there I would think they would value it more.

Last edited by hmmwv15; 06-18-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by infiltrator
Here is a picture of my BMX bike inside my truck. As you can see its a mess inside...

man i have an olive green fuse 3, thats crazy. Sorry about your truck man, i know it sucks.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:51 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
My wife got $2500 when I wrecked her '92 4rnr SR5, and it was worse than yours. Motor's been rebuilt and everything about it was real nice, but I didn't see any point in arguing it. It covered all the repairs and then some. Just to give you an idea, the two front tires were shoved backwards into the wheel wells. That's how bad the frame was bent. Of course, the body followed the frame. Looked a bit like this ^
Old 06-18-2008, 03:00 PM

oh and i paid 3500 for mine in march 07 in Houston. Look at my sig for details
Old 06-26-2008, 02:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry for the long wait. Here's the details on the insurance. I have State Farm, and so did he. They called me today, and told me that I would get $4577 for the truck after their estimate. I wanted more for my truck, but agreed to the price.

The lady asked me to hold, and then told me with the deductible (since it wasn't my fault) would be $5,100 out the door for my truck. So my day is going well . Only bad thing is they are charging almost $3,000 to buy it back. So it looks like they will be keeping Infiltrator's 4runner.

As for another car/truck I have almost no clue where to look. With today's economy and gas prices I am leaning towards a car with good gas mileage.. A couple grand more could get me a 3rd gen though, but I like my 2nd gen. I have never seen one like it. White with the tan interior was a perfect match, and with the chrome package on the 4runner, and chrome rims, it was a perfect truck. The good thing is though, that the economy is on my side. Less people are buying cars these days. So maybe I can talk my seller down some.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:10 PM

find out where it is going if you don't buy it. Mabye if it sits for a while you can get it for less.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:52 AM

Still looking for a new car/truck. I think with these gas prices I will end up getting a car, and buying a cheap 4runner to make into my offroader.

I am picky though, I just don't like any car. I hate all these cars that people have touched and done stuff to like blacked out the tail lights or put ugly rims on. That's what I have to choose from since I live in Los Angeles...

I want a stock car preferably Toyota or Honda. Camry or Civic maybe. Corolla's don't look as nice as Camry's... Low miles is probably a must, because with $5,000 I think I might have a bargaining chip if I, "Show them the money".

Has anyone bought a car from a car auction? There are many of those here, and I am wondering if I can find a good deal or not...
Old 06-28-2008, 08:21 PM

That sucks man, especially after you put $ into it.

Put it in perspective though- you'll get money out of it. In late 2006 the frame on my 98 tacoma failed due to massive rust and I sold it for $1500. A year later I come to find toyota is buying them back for nearly 10 times what i sold it for. Not trying to steal your sympathy, just saying it could be a lot worse.

The irony is pretty wild though....imo you'll always be sour unless the very next rig you get is another yota 4x4 so go ahead in do it. After i sold my broken taco i bought a chevy and was so bitter for the next year that I finally sold it and got another yota. you'll regret getting a car even if the gas bill is less.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:33 PM

Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope your back/neck gets better. I've always wondered why do you have to buy back your truck/car from the insurance company? When its wrecked does it become theirs?
Old 06-30-2008, 11:23 AM

It does become theirs, but after it's theirs, then you can buy it back from them, meaning you would have money left over to fix your own vehicle.

Im still waiting on insurance for this money. I have been trying to look for used vehicles, but can't see myself driving any of them. Nothing will ever match to my 4runner.

After I get my car, I will get another toyota 2nd gen. So don't count me out yet guys lol. Hopefully something that costs like $500 with no engine/blown engine, that I can 3.4 swap. Maybe after I start finishing up with my Navy term...
Old 07-05-2008, 11:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by infiltrator

I want a stock car preferably Toyota or Honda. Camry or Civic maybe. Corolla's don't look as nice as Camry's... Low miles is probably a must, because with $5,000 I think I might have a bargaining chip if I, "Show them the money".

Has anyone bought a car from a car auction? There are many of those here, and I am wondering if I can find a good deal or not...
Auctions can be a hit or miss thing... yuo might get something great but you can wind up with lemon tart too...
generally you won't get a test drive, you might not even get to start it up... a lot of flood damaged cars go through these places it really is buyer beware.
as for "showing them the money" keep that under your shirt so to speak... bargain hard with the seller once you find your new baby and if it is a dealer sale try to get a clause in the sales contract that will let you return it in a day or two with little/no penalty [if your state does not have one of those "cooling off period" policies] just in case the car turns out to be "not all that it should be".

Why not look at a nice AWD Cellica Supra from the early-mid 90's?
of course the ins. would probably kill you...
Old 07-05-2008, 12:18 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
There is no such thing as an AWD Celica-Supra

They DO make an All-Trac Celica which is an AWD Turbo Celica with the 3S-GTE turbo 2.0L 4cyl engine. They were make from 86-89 (first style) then 90-93 in america. They continued to make the turbo AWD celicas in Japan up until 99(?) calling them the GT4.

All supras from 86.5+ used a 3.0L inline six. In 1993.5, they built the MK4 supra with the legendary 2JZ-GTE engine, but you wont find one of them for under $20k

Nice all-trac celicas will run you about 5k or so

Last edited by DeathCougar; 07-05-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks coug... I sit corrected...
The AWD celecas I've seen around here had all the goodies on them from the supra interior/exterior wise except the engine I guess...

You could score a sweet mid 80's Supra [the square body one] and get some "truno" name plates from Japan...
Old 07-05-2008, 12:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yeppers DC.
The "Supra" was an option to the Celica from 79 up to and including 85 and used various straight 6 cylinder engines, but never all wheel drive. Starting in 86, the Celica went front wheel drive with various 4 cylinder engines and a turbo/all wheel drive option (all-trac/GT-4, popular in SCCA racing) appearing in 88 which continued off and on as an option until 98 through 3 body restylings. Celica production stopped in 2006.
Rumor has it that the Scion TC was originally intended to be the 7th generation Celica (Scion / Toyota Celica) but the rising sale price of the Celica caused Toyota to cut production costs and bump that model down to the entry level Scion moniker.
The Supra continued as it's own RWD model until 2002 at which time production was halted due to manufacturing costs and insurance liability concerns. Much the same fate that caused the MR2 to hiccup a few times.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Staff

Originally Posted by aviator
Thanks coug... I sit corrected...
The AWD celecas I've seen around here had all the goodies on them from the supra interior/exterior wise except the engine I guess...

You could score a sweet mid 80's Supra [the square body one] and get some "truno" name plates from Japan...
89 Celica All-Trac:

89 Supra Turbo:

The only thing the two cars share is the Toyota nameplate and some nuts and bolts lol.

1986.5 was the body style change to the one seen above (the 89 supra) the MK2 was built from 82-86
Old 07-05-2008, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
speaking of MR2's, I just bought one Thursday night for 450 bucks... its stripped, but let me tell you, that stinkin' 4A-GE moves. I cannot believe its only a 1.6 liter, nor could I even imagine what its like with forced induction...

sorry for the hi-jack, haha.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:32 PM
Staff

Yea, the MR2 hauls. Thats why I use them for figure 8 cars!

Quick Reply: My Truck Got Wrecked #$%@! By Another Toyota!