Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Is my truck a California model?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my truck a California model?

i bought my 88 toyota pickup a year ago It has had a California title. It is smog time and it failed. I am trying to fix the issues one at a time. THought i would do the simplest first., replace the bulb in the Dash cluster. i take it apart and see that there is nothing there and nothing even printed on the dummy light plastic. i've posted a pict. please help. QUESTION: does this mean this was not a california model and i am screwed? i have no idea what to do now. the other two issues BTW were "catalytic converter modified" ( for that i think i don't have the right exhaust manifold ?)and "top down center 10 off" for that i know to just get the timing adjusted.

thanks for any help.
R.F.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:16 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
No pics posted (this might help: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120...-guide-237689/)

I assume the bulb you are looking for is the CEL (Check Engine Light). That has nothing to do with California; all 1988 vehicles sold in the US have a CEL. (Missing that bulb will always fail smog. The bad news is that the prior owner took it out because it was flashing a code, and he couldn't fix it. He thought if he took out the bulb he could unload that lemon on someone who ... oh, that would be you.)

If you care about whether it's a California truck, it says on the sticker under the hood, and it will have two O2 sensors.

Good luck!
Old 05-21-2013, 08:44 PM

thanks for the reply!
so it is suppose to be blank there okay cool.
I did try and put a working bulb there and it didnt light up so i guess ill have to dig deeper and try to figure out why it doesnt light up. you are right it is a CA model there are O2 sensors in it. i knew there were going to be issues i got it really cheap from a guy who had bought three of them at a police auction in inglewood,ca
thanks again for your response.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:53 PM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
Hmmmm people do weird stupid things to sell a rig look for something like this

Ordered this on eBay and found out PO had cut or shaved the connection off of the actual circuit board, your cluster is different but could be a possibility, if you look at the pic you can see the break by the curve 3rd bulb from the left. Probably not the case but this guy did it

Good luck!!
Old 05-22-2013, 02:17 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Just as mentioned about the sticker, and the two 02 sensors, one in front of the catalatic converter and one after. Not sure which year they started but another way is there is a sensor coming off of the EGR. Just look for the word CAL. This is a carbed model, but label is almost identical.
Name:  cal2_zps63c19d9d.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  31.6 KB
Old 05-22-2013, 12:57 PM

I have an 88.5, registered as 89. You can tell by the vacuum lines if it's CA or not. Ignore the red circle on the picture. I was trying to get help on a different issue. But this picture should give you an idea of what it should look like. Plenty more vacuum lines. If you look at some diagrams, you'll be able to tell if it's California, or other. By the way, how did you buy it if the seller is required to smog it? Got it from craigslist? Take it to that same smog shop where it passed (considering you didn't by it without a smog cert) and look at their face to see how honest they look, lol.