Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My take on Blu's Air Silencer Removal Mod 2nd Gen.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah they need to be the size of the threaded ends of the brass fittings. They go on the threaded end of the brass fittings inbetween the nut and the tubing wall on the inside. The nuts I bought were the thin wide ones so I didn't even see the need for washers. Just make sure to tighten em down really tight and use that lliquid Lock-Tite stuff on em so they don't come off.

Last edited by ctcost; 10-19-2004 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:18 PM
Contributing Member

I may have to do this one day.
What are the cons?
Old 10-19-2004, 03:24 PM

Haven't found any at all Scofo. Says your in the Yukon though...wonder if the metal piping might make a dif in that extreme weather you guys get. Maybe not though once everything warms up inside the compartment. Could always find a way to insulate it somehow if that were a concern i guess.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ctcost
Haven't found any at all Scofo. Says your in the Yukon though...wonder if the metal piping might make a dif in that extreme weather you guys get. Maybe not though once everything warms up inside the compartment. Could always find a way to insulate it somehow if that were a concern i guess.
Why would it matter if its cold? I thought that the colder the better?
Thanks
Old 10-19-2004, 03:53 PM
Contributing Member

I don't see any reason that cold would be a factor, I mean were working with an injected system and supplying better air flow. We've been hitting 32 degrees F for he last several nights here and I haven't had any problems, then again it's only fall. I look at it as just being a bit chilly.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:04 PM

Dunno if it would or not....Just thinkin -60 degrees farenheit coming into the intake when you first start up might be a problem. Weird things happen in those temperature ranges. Lot of people up there use block heaters though. Course in WI you will be a test bed for close to that Dublin.

Might not be a problem also. Guess as long as the engine compartment is warm, no probby.

Last edited by ctcost; 10-19-2004 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:04 AM

warning to all : using this flex pipe if you drill it wrong, the rings that make the pipe can get streched and then the pipe is worthless... the hole we drilled streched really huge and we couldn't get it back together..
Old 10-20-2004, 01:07 PM

Mikro has a point with the cheap piping...buy the heavy guage good stainless, follow the directions above and use a sharp bit and you'll be fine.

Oh make sure to debur everything with a Dremel honing bit or sandpaper as well.

Last edited by ctcost; 10-20-2004 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:34 PM

Here's my intake. Got the muffler shop to bend me a piece of pipe for 5 bucks. Definitely the way to go.

Mike.

Old 10-20-2004, 03:47 PM
Contributing Member

Well, I think I'm going to have a muffler shop bend a pipe for me...tracking down the flexible stuff hasn't been easy. I have found a place that has it, but given that it may destroy it if drilled wrong, I will just do it like Blu did.

Also, and this is weird, but there is only one connection that goes into the tube at that portion of the pipe. It is, I'm assuming, a PCV valve that comes from the head cover. There isn't anything else connected to the intake...I have looked and looked. Unless I'm missing it (hard to believe), but I only have one. Anyone else run into this?

I should get this done on Friday...I'll post pics!
Old 10-20-2004, 04:15 PM
Contributing Member

Dunno if it would or not....Just thinkin -60 degrees farenheit coming into the intake when you first start up might be a problem. Weird things happen in those temperature ranges. Lot of people up there use block heaters though. Course in WI you will be a test bed for close to that Dublin.

Might not be a problem also. Guess as long as the engine compartment is warm, no probby.
When it hits -40, the battery warmer, block heater, and a fleece blanket get to work on my engine.

The blanket does a nice job of keeping all the heat in there that is generated.

Alot of people also use remote starters that can start the truck every 2 hours for 20 minutes or so while they sleep.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:00 AM

Like I said only reason I went this route was that I couldn't come up with mandrel bend for less than $30. This worked great for me! If you have access to a bent piece or someone to do it by all means go for it Greg!

Scofo...Brrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 10-21-2004, 09:11 AM
Contributing Member

I 'think' I can find a muffler shop to bend the pipe. This is on the agenda for tomorrow.

I'm still a little puzzled as to why I only have one connection going into that part of the intake. Everyone else seems to have two. The only one I have is the larger of the two that I have seen in pics and it comes up out of the valve cover. I guess it's not a big deal and it makes the job a little easier. It 'may' be hiding underneath somewhere, but I couldn't feel it.

Weird, but I'll report in tomorrow with my progress...!

Old 10-21-2004, 10:07 AM

Look under the filter box, there is a second (resonator) box that is connected to the silencer ducts. There is a 7/16ths inch hose connected to that box. That's the second hose Greg.

That's the box on the left. The little nipple on top sits right next to the radiator. That's where the second hose connects:

Last edited by ctcost; 10-23-2004 at 06:13 AM.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:59 AM

Bump. Warning to 1st gen owners added to 1st post. You will have to figure thiis one out if AdamF hasn't before proceeding. Shouldn't be too difficult but it does mean some changes.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:33 PM
Contributing Member

Heading to the exhaust guy tomorrow to do my high flow cat and flowmaster...i'm gonna see if he has any old 3" tubing laying around and maybe bend me up one and I'll stop down at my father in laws plumbing business and get me some 3" fernco's for each end...then all i gotta buy is the brass fittings and mine will be done tomorrow!
Old 10-31-2008, 10:33 PM

Awesome Thread Everyone! I would like to thank everyone that contributed. There is pride in craftsmanship, and a project like this on my 93 4Runner will be something to show off in front of my grease monkey friends. I look forward to placing this project on top of the to do list. Saving money on gas and getting places faster will make the rest of my plans easier to complete.

I live in Corona CA and it gets really hot out here.

I am going to start out by using this method.

Then,

I'm thinking about using the mandrel bent pipe method and wrapping it with motorcycle header pipe wrap to keep the pipe cool inside. From what I hear, cooler air makes for better performance. Just a thought. Thanks again!
Old 11-01-2008, 04:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks guys. Yup I can definitely feel it. I know I'm doing at least 8-10hp more just by feel alone. (Blu)!
is that kinda like putting some stickers on and saying you feel more HP?
Old 03-02-2009, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i know this is an old thread but this is the thread that inspired me to do it and i just finished mine today!!
cant wait to drive it tomorrow to feel the difference
Old 03-02-2009, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by RoBatt
i know this is an old thread but this is the thread that inspired me to do it and i just finished mine today!!
cant wait to drive it tomorrow to feel the difference
Put some pics up!

Quick Reply: My take on Blu's Air Silencer Removal Mod 2nd Gen.