86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My New "Toy"ota

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My New "Toy"ota and automatic trans probs

Yeah so my grandma had a 1993 Toyota Pickup that she wanted to sell because she had a parking lot already. Thats where I come in. I bought it off of her and I have been looking for some friendly toyota forums to findout information on my new truck. It is locking 4WD ext cab with the 2.4L EFI and autotragic transmission. Sadly the owner previous to my grandma used the truck for towing and burned out the O/D gear. Basically when im going 50-55mph or more and the trans trys to downshift for power it sounds like the engine is shifted into N because the engine revs up and I lose power. Thats the only time it happens which is very annoying because most of my driving is on the highway. So now I am looking for information about changing out the transmission or perhaps swapping to a manual5 transmission. My knowledge is very limited so I will be here and perhaps other places looking for information to absorb. I read about some shift solenoids being the issue with other automatic transmissions so I am futher looking into that. Mechanic that I took the truck to said it needed a new trans and that he could also tell that it needed a new trans by the smell of the trans fluid. -Jon

Picture:

Last edited by JaxFlJon; 08-30-2006 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:47 PM

burnt up overdrive, burnt transmission=time for new transmission or rebuild
Old 08-30-2006, 08:20 PM

well i cant help you but nice truck and was it a steal?
Old 08-30-2006, 10:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't tell you much about the auto trans. But, it sounds like it needs a rebuild. Look for an honest and talented mechanic who'll do the job right.

One of the reasons that I cherish my truck is that my grandmother helped me buy my truck (16 years ago) . . . . and I think of her often whenever I drive it.

Welcome to YotaTech. This is a great community with many resources to help you on your Toyota adventure.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:57 PM

Go to a junker or get it rebuilt professionally, welcome and nice truck.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by curly_c
well i cant help you but nice truck and was it a steal?
You would steal from your Grandma? Shame on you!
Old 08-31-2006, 03:32 AM

I say do a 5spd swap, you will appreciate the power that comes from it..... Do a search here on the board its been done on the 3.slow, not sure about the 22re.. but same prinicpal... nice truck btw
Old 08-31-2006, 05:30 AM

Thanks for the compliments, and no the truck was not a steal... We do live in a capitalist society lol

I would love to convert the truck to a manual tranny with the w56 trans I believe it is. I much prefer a manual.

Another tidbit about the tranny: All other gears seem to shift normally and I don't have any flashing lights.

Last edited by JaxFlJon; 08-31-2006 at 05:38 AM.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:06 AM

You may not have a bad tranny. It could just be a loose cable coming off the throttle body, easy to adjust. It could even be a bad or out of adjustment TPS, throttle postion sensor. Mine would never downshift for power when I was empty going up a hill or highway ramp, but I switched out the TPS, cleaned out the throttle body, adjusted my cable, timing, etc, and it shifts great now.

(I went back and re-read your post, the following may not be relevant):When you say OD is shot, and then say it doesnt downshift for power, that sounds like you are in OD, and it doesnt want to use 3rd. Don't get the new tranny till you try those things.

A bad thermostat, or temp sensor in the EGR system can keep the tranny form shifting right too. It won't use OD if the engine cant get up to temperature, or if it thinks it is running cold.

You will need this:
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/

Last edited by trythis; 08-31-2006 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:33 AM

OK to be as specific as possiable

It will shift all gears into O/D. No problemo in shifting past 55mph. When I am going 55+ mph and I hit the gas to accelerate instead shifting into the lower gear the engine revs up and I lose power. Like pushing in the clutch and and revving the engine in a manual. It ONLY happens when I am driving 55+ mph.

I will be reading and checking on that FSM thanks trythis.

side note: Odometer reads insane amount of miles about 320k lol
Old 08-31-2006, 11:50 AM

I got code 42 when I did the paperclip deal. Thats the only code it read.

Update: Trans is A340F.

If I turn the O/D off (by pushin the button on the shifter) should a light come up on the gauge cluster? If there is supposed to be a light it apparently does not work at all. This is while the truck is started and driving also just idling.

When I pulled up to a stoplight the truck started shaking violently as I was stopped at the light. It felt like the truck wanted to go and the brakes were keepin it stopped. Then the truck stalled out. I am not sure if this has anything to do with code 42.

Code42:
VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT--NO SPD. SIGNAL FOR SEVERLA SECONDS
WHILE VEHICLE IS OPERATED UNDER HEAVY LOAD (TPS/MAP/AIR FLOW INPUTS)

--SPEED SENSOR/CIRCUIT

--ECU

I read this and I am not sure what its saying is the problem. My Speedometer works fine.

Last edited by JaxFlJon; 08-31-2006 at 12:47 PM.