86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My First Yota

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My First Yota

Hey guys, new to the forum and Yota's. Didnt see a welcome thread but will look again on my pc when I get gome from work. I just picked up a 91 4x4 5 speed with the 22r. The motor was rebuilt 20k ago but since I'm mechanically inclined I have some concerns. I will place my concerns in list form so it's easier to address.

Truck idles low

Think timing is too high and they have turned it up to sustain an idle that the idle control is supposed to handle (if truck has idle control)

Engine runs good and doesnt smoke at all. Sounds like a sewing machine except in the front of the engine I hear a rattle at lower rpms's. It's nit a rod or anything like that. Maybe a timing or some other tensioner.

Thats about it, I think something on it is broke that controls idle and they just jacked the timing up to compensate because after the engine is warm its hard to restart and thats classic hi timing ime. I plan to change fluids and do a good basic tune up. Anything to look for in particular? Thanks for looking.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:03 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and good decision to pick a Yota, BUT Do you know that you should always try to search the forum first before asking?
Old 08-24-2017, 11:43 PM

I understand that, but my question had several variables. If I could have found a direct answer I wouldn't have posted. Thx
Old 08-25-2017, 01:45 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

As for searching I have yet to find any answers that way to my questions unless I use Google or other search engines

Welcome!!!

It was you that rebuilt the Engine??

Have paper work showing what work was done ??

Then over the years I have found rebuilt means so many different things .

One assured me changing the head gasket was rebuilding the engine

rattle up front I would pull the valve cover and look to see if the timing chain guides are still where they belong.

These are great Trucks once all the neglected areas of maintenance are caught up
Old 08-25-2017, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
As for searching I have yet to find any answers that way to my questions unless I use Google or other search engines

Welcome!!!

It was you that rebuilt the Engine??

Have paper work showing what work was done ??

Then over the years I have found rebuilt means so many different things .

One assured me changing the head gasket was rebuilding the engine

rattle up front I would pull the valve cover and look to see if the timing chain guides are still where they belong.

These are great Trucks once all the neglected areas of maintenance are caught up
Thanks for the reply, and I did search the site and googled. A lot of the links were no longer available or had scattered info. I like to keep things straight forward and on track. I did not rebuild the engine myself, I do have paperwork from his machine shop showing the complete bottom end overhaul. He was honest about the top end and said he thought it looked good and just put new valve guides in after lapping the valves. It honestly sounds like some kind of tensioner or something rattling around. I am doing an oil change and tune up Monday so I may just grab a few new belts and a timing cover gasket and have a peek. I have also found by googling the correct timing from what I have found is 5* BTDC and somewhere around 15* without shorting out the advance lead. The engine runs strong and has zero hesitation but it still idles rough. I am going to take the intake and tb off and clean everything real good and adjust the iac if need be. Thanks for the reply and any knowledge is appreciated.