Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

My 86 4Runner (56k death)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 05:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you finsh the SAS, are you gonna show the PO what her truck looks like now ?
Old 02-01-2010, 11:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey nice job =) Wish i had all those people to help with mine! I had my bro and a friend for a lil bit, friend helped grind one side for me and my bro helped me hang the axle but that was it.

Just a couple questions/concerns. Got a pick of your shackle angle? You're free-hanging shot looks a lot like mine did before i positioned my front hangar (and your tubes look like they're exactly where I put mine) .. and your hangar looks like it's exactly where i put mine (round 1).

Also, hard to say with the boots on the shocks but from where you located the shock hoops looks like you may have shock hangup .. in other words, the shock fully extending and not allowing full axle drop.

I set my bumpstops and my shocks up so at full stuff the bump stops hit right before the steering links hit (the frame) and the shock bottoms out.

The problem i had to with the axle dropping on articulation when the shackle was near vertical (slightly aft) at rest was the axle wasnt dropping as far as it could of.

For full drop potential the shackle should be almost vertical.... since that is the lowest (the lower bolt on the shackle) can possibly go. You want the spring to hit it's lowest point with the shackle vertical so you're dropping as far as physically possible. Once the shackle starts inverting it starts going back up. Get what im saying?

Then on full stuff it allows the shackle to go back and up allowing the spring to come up further. But this part isnt as critical because you're limiting upward axle movement with the bumpstops on purpose stopping upward movement to avoid things contacting.

Just things to think about, its never to late to change stuff Trust me i did! :-p

Last edited by drew303; 02-02-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by peow130
Cool.
Yeah, with the SAS kit from trailgear, it sort of makes doing an SAS a breeze, lol.
That was pretty gutsy with the shackle tube.
All the kits are the same and require the same effort

Technically SAS'ing with a kit isn't very complicated or hard. It's just TIME CONSUMING and laborious!

Also, It's still HIGHLY reccomended to torch/clean then hang your hanger to get the right shackle angle! Different weight motors, 4runner vs truck vs ext cab vs big bumper, big winch (someone say 8274???) .. I think a good method of getting proper shackle angle for maxium droop is to hang the springs with axle weight and adjust the front hangar for a good near vertical or slightly inverted shackle.. This will gaurantee a nice aft shackle angle (which helps ride quality, a more vertical shackle at rest will give you a stiffer ride)
Old 02-03-2010, 04:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zelephant
When you finsh the SAS, are you gonna show the PO what her truck looks like now ?
I would like to when it is fully done

Originally Posted by drew303
Hey nice job =) Wish i had all those people to help with mine! I had my bro and a friend for a lil bit, friend helped grind one side for me and my bro helped me hang the axle but that was it.

Just a couple questions/concerns. Got a pick of your shackle angle? You're free-hanging shot looks a lot like mine did before i positioned my front hangar (and your tubes look like they're exactly where I put mine) .. and your hangar looks like it's exactly where i put mine (round 1).

Also, hard to say with the boots on the shocks but from where you located the shock hoops looks like you may have shock hangup .. in other words, the shock fully extending and not allowing full axle drop.

I set my bumpstops and my shocks up so at full stuff the bump stops hit right before the steering links hit (the frame) and the shock bottoms out.

The problem i had to with the axle dropping on articulation when the shackle was near vertical (slightly aft) at rest was the axle wasnt dropping as far as it could of.

For full drop potential the shackle should be almost vertical.... since that is the lowest (the lower bolt on the shackle) can possibly go. You want the spring to hit it's lowest point with the shackle vertical so you're dropping as far as physically possible. Once the shackle starts inverting it starts going back up. Get what im saying?

Then on full stuff it allows the shackle to go back and up allowing the spring to come up further. But this part isnt as critical because you're limiting upward axle movement with the bumpstops on purpose stopping upward movement to avoid things contacting.

Just things to think about, its never to late to change stuff Trust me i did! :-p
My shackle angle right as the truck sits now is vertical at the moment. I havent flexed the suspension at all really and I also dont have my Marlin Bumper w/Warn winch on the front yet either. I am thinking once I flex it a bit and put my Bumper/winch back on I should have the correct angle 10 aft.

The shocks/tubes I set up as per TGs instructions with the 60% of the piston inside the shock body (I think is what it had said)

Once the back is done and the truck if rolling level again I am going to have my friend flex it out with his fork lift this way I can see where my bump stops need to go and that should work the springs in a bit as well. Then I will be able to see what the final shackle angle looks like and if I have to go back to make adjustments then I will (although I am hoping I don't)
Old 02-03-2010, 11:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1badtoy
So having it aired down will help in the snow like it does on the beach?
exactly!

keep up the good work.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:51 PM

4Runner is drivable again, not wheelable yet, but its getting there. I borrowed my moms 35s off of her rolled Tacomer to get an idea of what it will look like with 35s on it. rear kit is in, dropped the tank and had it boiled out. New fuel pump bracket, sending unit, fuel line hose and main fuel line installed.

Drove it to work today, did a brake flush on it, stops good now also did an alignment...took all of 5 minutes

More to follow
Old 02-25-2010, 11:10 PM

Looks good!
Old 02-28-2010, 06:03 PM

waiting for my 35s BGF KM2s to get here, along with the rear locker from 4Wheelparts... order was delayed because of the snow. Shafts go to the drive shaft shop on tuesday, I got the TG 10" ling spline set up for the front. In the mean time, I have started on the mini me version...

Old 03-01-2010, 07:31 PM

Where'd that body come from!?!?! Is it custom, or what? It looks great!
Old 03-05-2010, 07:50 AM

Where'd that body come from!?!?! Is it custom, or what? It looks great!
Custom built by a member of RCC out of a Toyota Hilux body
Old 03-05-2010, 12:35 PM

it needs high steer! LOL nice job dude
Old 03-05-2010, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by 1badtoy
Custom built by a member of RCC out of a Toyota Hilux body
Would that happen to be the same guy who built the orange bruiser-based 1st gen 4runner? Looks fantastic!
Old 03-05-2010, 04:01 PM

dude the SAS came out great! can't wait to see it/wheel with it in person...

and those RCs are sick!
Old 03-05-2010, 06:09 PM

Wow, I am impressed with the work you are doing to the Runner. The PO was right in that you would do it right. Good progress on it so far.

Good luck with it all.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:34 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
GOOD GOD MAN!!! NICE WORK!
Keep up with the pictures please
Old 03-05-2010, 06:57 PM

Ridiculous collections you have there man, 4runner looks great, congratulations!
Old 03-05-2010, 07:40 PM

im digging your 4runner, and the RC's.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by drew303
it needs high steer! LOL nice job dude
I have to order the GPM tamiya style knuckles then it will look like it has high steer haha

Would that happen to be the same guy who built the orange bruiser-based 1st gen 4runner? Looks fantastic!
Nope, I owned that orange one at one point, this was built by Pardonmyn00b

Originally Posted by LINY4Runner
dude the SAS came out great! can't wait to see it/wheel with it in person...

and those RCs are sick!
Thanks dude, its back in the garage for some more work on it 2morrow.

Originally Posted by phildelfino
Wow, I am impressed with the work you are doing to the Runner. The PO was right in that you would do it right. Good progress on it so far.

Good luck with it all.
Originally Posted by toyospearo
GOOD GOD MAN!!! NICE WORK!
Keep up with the pictures please
Thanks!
Old 03-06-2010, 06:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Man I just spent a large portion of my time going through the build thread for the RC Yota. That build is freaking sick! Heck I want all that stuff done to my full size rig.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:50 PM

4runner is almost ready for the raush creek trip in 2 weeks :mrgreen: Updates as of now are:
Rear set with 4.88s, solid spacer, and a lock right
Rear drive shaft lengthened and tubing upgraded from Toyota soda can material
Front drive shaft equipped with TG 10" long spline set up
ARB compressor installed and locker all hooked up
and finally, 35" KM2s :mrgreen:

I was out shopping at the flea market for my GFs birthday, while her and my mom shopped for the new ankle bracelet, my step dad and I headed over to the vinyl dude. I told him what I wanted and he made me up some pretty awesome stuff for me :mrgreen:

1st on the list was the most important sticker

Gotta give credit to the people that made this project come together, my 2 buddies Wade and Joe and my stepdad Jeff

My friend Wade came over the other day to see the new tires and the 1st thing he said was "Yo is that an 85 4runner?? sweeeeeeet breehhh hahahahaha" I figured if he was busting my balls I know there will some ratards at local cruises who think its an 85 so I had this made up mostly as a joke. My friend Wade got a kick out of it

Next was this one, thanks to my mom lending me the money for the truck originally I figured I owed this one to her. She liked it

And lastly the windshield banner, I take a lot of pride in the fact that my friends, stepdad, and I built it

Tomorrow my Marlin sliders go on and then it'll be ready to wheel RC

Quick Reply: My 86 4Runner (56k death)