Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Is my 85 and 87 computers interchangeable?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 11:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is my 85 and 87 computers interchangeable?

Does anyone here know if my computers are interchangeable?I want to pull the computer out of my 85 2 wheel drive standard cab, 22R, 5 speed transmission, base model truck and put it in my 87 4x4 standard cab, 22R, 5 speed transmission, base model truck. This truck already has my 22R engine in it from my 85 truck.

I am having engine troubles rough idle, poor fuel economy and this truck looks and acts like it was buried in a wash with water running high enough to fill the rear differential. There was sand still on top of the fuel tank when I dropped the tank to replace the fuel level sender unit. I am looking at testing vacuum valved pots on the carburetor and the emissions system. Fuel mileage dropped from 24 - 27 when I put my 85 engine in my 87 body to 15 MPG the first month to the 18.4 MPG I get now 2 years later. It has passed emission testing every year I have had to have it tested and it is due again this month.

I have a K&N air filter, NGK Lifetime plug wires, I did replace cap and plugs when I swapped the engine into this truck 2 years ago. I replaced the fuel filter when I installed the engine and again Sept 2016. I have replaced my fuel pump in Sept 2016 and May of 2017...

In March 2017 I replaced with the G52 transmission from a yard (YotaJims Used Toyota parts) I replaced rear wheel bearings and seals and all brake parts on both rear hubs, as well and all gear oil in both front and rear differentials, transfer cases and transmission. Truck pulls true going down the road, had front end aligned 20 - 24 months ago...

I also pulled all the ignition parts of the fender of the 85 and put them in the 87.

Any help and or suggestion would be greatly appreciated,

grey
Old 06-11-2017, 01:27 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
It is possible but without sitting down and looking at both pin outs you might be getting in to alot of repinning of plugs

Then which Emission Systems do you have the Federal Or California ??

Just a quick glance shows different pins between the two years

Just what engine harness is in the truck now the one that was original to the 87??

You just swapped the naked long block from the 85??

Your Harness and all the sensors and ECU off the 85 engine should allow you to swap the ECU`s

Then who knows just what was in the trucks when you bought them

There are Toyota part numbers on both ECU`s are they the same

It can be done but it is not a simple plug and play !!

Better to figure out just what the issue is then if your sure buy another ECU to match what is in there now
Old 06-11-2017, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
It is possible but without sitting down and looking at both pin outs you might be getting in to alot of repinning of plugs

Then which Emission Systems do you have the Federal Or California ??

Just a quick glance shows different pins between the two years

Just what engine harness is in the truck now the one that was original to the 87??

You just swapped the naked long block from the 85??

Your Harness and all the sensors and ECU off the 85 engine should allow you to swap the ECU`s

Then who knows just what was in the trucks when you bought them

There are Toyota part numbers on both ECU`s are they the same

It can be done but it is not a simple plug and play !!

Better to figure out just what the issue is then if your sure buy another ECU to match what is in there now
The trucks both have Federal emissions.When I did the engine swap I marked all the connections with tape and numbered them. The only connection I did not have on my engine was an elevation sensor, which the engine in the truck when I bought it did not have. Other wise it was identical to the 85... So I did a whole engine swap.

I am pretty sure my 85 was factory when I bought it, my father-in-law knew the people I bought the truck from. The 87 is a junk yard rehab or at least that is what I have started treating it as... I have started solving problems by moving parts from my 85 to the 87 where compatible...

grey
Old 06-12-2017, 11:47 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Post picture of your ECU with the part number?
Old 06-12-2017, 06:25 PM

I'm no electrical guy but if the vin code, 8th digit is the same, you should be able to swap them. When you call a junk yard for an ecu that's the main question they ask