Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

My 4-runner is history : (

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 04:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This isn't brand bashing. YOU MADE A QUESTIONABLE FINANCIAL DECISION that a VERY STRONG MAJORITY in here would have not made. You got HOSED BIG TIME and by family to boot. That is THE TRUTH.

Best of luck. You're gonna need it, because you certainly don't have any street smarts.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam F
Watch the coolant/oil closely in that Cav. They are notorious for blowing headgaskets. A friend of mine had a 01 and hers blew....had to replace them motor.
You mean like the headgasket that blew 2 years ago on my 3.0?

I have a different motor than the 01's had anyway...
Old 12-08-2007, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by CoedNaked
This isn't brand bashing. YOU MADE A QUESTIONABLE FINANCIAL DECISION that a VERY STRONG MAJORITY in here would have not made. You got HOSED BIG TIME and by family to boot. That is THE TRUTH.

Best of luck. You're gonna need it, because you certainly don't have any street smarts.
Obviously you don't have ANY smarts because saying it was a bad financial decision is implying that I bought a POS! I paid what the dealer bought it back for!!! If I totaled it tomorrow I would make money! If I said it was a Corolla I would be a genius right

Last edited by kpaxfaq; 12-08-2007 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:59 PM

Wah, that is a tough call. Like you said...just wait a couple years and you'll have another toy. Wouldn't have been my personal choice and but hey to each his/her own and I'm not in your shoes....wait...I was 8 years ago but I bought a 89 VW Golf diesel for $950....900km/tank with 366,000kms! At least you won't really have to worry about reliability...hopefully. Good luck with the car and with college...and graduate dammit so you can get a truck/4Runner! By the way is it auto or 5sp?...not that it matters I'm just curious of newer cars if they still have the option.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by BluYot
Wah, that is a tough call. Like you said...just wait a couple years and you'll have another toy. Wouldn't have been my personal choice and but hey to each his/her own and I'm not in your shoes....wait...I was 8 years ago but I bought a 89 VW Golf diesel for $950....900km/tank with 366,000kms! At least you won't really have to worry about reliability...hopefully. Good luck with the car and with college...and graduate dammit so you can get a truck/4Runner! By the way is it auto or 5sp?...not that it matters I'm just curious of newer cars if they still have the option.
Thanks Bluyot! Auto, but 5sd was an option on the model. Yeah I think when I do buy another Toy in a few years I will still stick with a mint 2nd Gen hopefully if I can find one down south! I love em'!

Last edited by kpaxfaq; 12-08-2007 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kpaxfaq
Obviously you don't have ANY smarts because saying it was a bad financial decision is implying that I bought a POS! I paid what the dealer bought it back for!!! If I totaled it tomorrow I would make money! If I said it was a Corolla I would be a genius right
You financed a car, that's ALWAYS a bad decision, regardless of make.

You couldn't afford to put gas in the 4runner, so you bought a car that gets twice the gas mileage. So we'll just say you've cut your gas bill in half. So you went from paying $200 a month to $100. BUT you've added between $50-$150 a month in car payments. Plus $25 a week in gas. Plus your new, and higher insurance rates. So you've probably not saved yourself any money, in fact you've probably made your financial situation worse.

Getting a "great deal" isn't a good reason to spend money you don't have.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this same kinda thing i told my friend who went from thinking about getting a 4th gen 4runner to going out and buying an 07 mustang (v6 auto). what are people thinking when they go out and start finanacing a new pos. I'm in college too and though money isn't tight, no way i would consider buying a new/almost new non yota. why not go and get a '96 camry or something that's going to last a lot longer than any domesic new car.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:05 PM

do u have any pics of the truck by the way
Old 12-08-2007, 06:31 PM

Im just gonna hafta agree with most in here. Shoulda stuck with the runner, but anyway, being an auto technician, i see PLENTY of caviliers, and i think in the past year, maybe 3 4runners/pickups total. all in all, toyotas are maintenance only cars, keep up on maintenance, no problems. GM/Chrysler/Fords (GM the most) have pages upon pages of TSB's (common known problems and fixes) and are ALWAYS in for stupid problems/fixes. if you got the 2.2ecotec motor, be ready for your ignition module to crap out. on any caviqueer, expect the rear brakes to lock up after sitting for any period of time when moisture is in the air, your steering will develop a clunking and blower motor resistors to burn up.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:35 AM

I'm a Toyota believer and think they are of higher quality but they aren't God's gifts to vehicles. I knew what I was getting with my car. Complete record of oil changes and nothing else cause theres only 25,000 miles. I could go buy a 96' Camery and have no idea if it was maintained well or anything! I'm sorry but my 4-runner was a good vehicle but it had it's share of issues like any other car over the 10 years my family owned it and it was well maintained. It just an arrogant attitude coming from some toyota owners on here in my opinion acting like just cause toyota is stamped on the side you'll "just have to change the oil". Thats absurd and you know it. My mom is a CPA and recommended that I finance it on PURPOSE to build credit because I have none. I pay 180/month for 3 years and I don't have to worry about ANYTHING. My engine could blow up and engulf in flames and I would have a loaner car until it was fixed. I wouldn't pay a dime. 180/month for 3 years is worth that kind of piece of mind instead of buying some unknown 10 year old camery having a problem a couple months down the road and be staring a 1000 dollar repair bill in the face with no loaner.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:45 AM

I'm a Toyota believer and think they are of higher quality but they aren't God's gifts to vehicles. I knew what I was getting with my car. Complete record of oil changes and nothing else cause theres only 25,000 miles. I could go buy a 96' Camery and have no idea if it was maintained well or anything! I'm sorry but my 4-runner was a good vehicle but it had it's share of issues like any other car over the 10 years my family owned it and it was well maintained. It just an arrogant attitude coming from some toyota owners on here in my opinion acting like just cause toyota is stamped on the side you'll "just have to change the oil". Thats absurd and you know it. My mom is a CPA and recommended that I finance it on PURPOSE to build credit because I have none. I pay 180/month for 3 years and I don't have to worry about ANYTHING. My engine could blow up and engulf in flames and I would have a loaner car until it was fixed. I wouldn't pay a dime. 180/month for 3 years is worth that kind of piece of mind instead of buying some unknown 10 year old camery having a problem a couple months down the road and be staring a 1000 dollar repair bill in the face with no loaner.
I do somewhat see your point, but IMHO i wouldn't do that. But I still stand that you should get you 4Runner back and sell it on consignment. You could make a helluva lot more by doing that.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kenwoodrunner
have you ever owned one? i got a 97 cavalier (2.2L) with 190,000 on it and have only put brakes, plugs and an alternator on it. mike
Please, don't try and convince us all about Cavalier quality. Go to a junkyard...they are littered with new Cavaliers. The Cobalts are no better either. My friend has one with 16,000 miles and it's falling apart. Hubcap rattles, key won't come out of the ignition unless you slam it into park, turn signals don't shut off, some pieces just randomly fell from underneath the dash.

Sure, your gonna get some here and there that last, but that's in NO way common, I mean they pump these things out by the thousands and will finance one to anyone nearly.

People that drive American and own American don't expect much beyond 100,000 for a reason. I heard a guy in 7-11 preaching about how wonderful his Chevy truck was. He was going on and on, oh it's got 123,000 and runs strong, motors great, blah blah blah. Then he's like, yeah I love American, I've got a ton of miles and the only thing I've ever had to replace was the tranny....two times. Other than that, typical maintenance and repairs. He's like, I'll never get rid of it.

I'm thinkin...is this guy on crack? There was a study I remembered reading comparing Toyota 4runners to Ford Explorers. It revealed that on average, a 3 year Explorer experiences the same amount of mechanical failures (based on repair costs) as not a 5 year old 4runner, not an 8 year old one, not a 12 year old one, but a 15 year old 4runner!!!! It's objective was to reveal, that all these "initial quality" awards the american makers win are certainly not an indicator of long term quality.

Simply look at the resale values....there's a reason Honda's and Toyota's book so high over the years, and why you can buy 3 year old Cobalts and other used but still new chevy's for next to nothing.

Last edited by RC000E; 12-09-2007 at 08:06 AM.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:22 AM

now thats what im talkin about your righ RC000E american cars suck ass even though i have 2 but they are dodge they live lot longer then chev and ford. but i have a 91 toyota 4runner and it has less problems them most of my friends cars or trucks
Old 12-09-2007, 08:34 AM
Contributing Member

180/month for 3 years is worth that kind of piece of mind instead of buying some unknown 10 year old camery having a problem a couple months down the road and be staring a 1000 dollar repair bill in the face with no loaner.

1000.00 is still cheaper than 180/month X 36 months. In all honesty, I would have taken the 4runner, sold it and bought a early 90's Accord or Civic. I would have started looking for a car before I sold the Runner, would have done my homework, known what to look for and what to avoid, and in the end been better off than purchasing a new car for 5000.00. Around here, you can get into one of the above mentioned for about 1500.00. If you didn't jump at the first deal that came your way, you score a good car. Even if I had to dump 1000.00 into the car to get it running good, at worst I'm still only 2500.00 into it. I bet I get atleast 1/2 that for the 4Runner I sold.

When I needed to build credit, I got a 300.00 a month limit Credit Card and only purchased gas with it. Paid my bill on time, in full every month.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:09 AM

You could have had your 4runners's engine rebuilt by a professional, TWICE, for what you paid for the cavalier. You could have rebuilt it yourself about 4, maybe even 5 times, if you did the work yourself. In fact you could have rebuilt it once, and then put some serious performance mods on it, and still had $$$ left over to burn, for the money you paid for your Cavalier.

In fact you could have KEPT your 4runner AND bought a second car, like a used Corolla, or Civic, for what you paid.

But hey - I guess it's too late to go back now, and you're gonna keep defending the fact you got hosed big time.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:23 PM

Coed you are a jizz. It's been a done for a month now. I was just hovering on the boards and thought I'd thank everyone for the wisdom over the years. I really thought YotaTech was better than this. Bunch of internet know it alls. I see the same crap all the time on glocktalk.com. GLOCK are god's gift to firearms blah blah blah. You people who posted are like that guy who brings up politics when you're just relaxin drinking a few beers talking about the football game. I didn't ask for an opinion or any reply honestly. I was just THANKING PEOPLE. Thanks Blueyot as you're the only one who really even had a decent post. I was pretty much expecting "Yeah I wouldn't of done that but good luck and hope you get your new yota soon" not "you have no street smarts and got totally ripped off and your new car is a piece of S*it" That is ridiculous to even say I got completely ripped off. This is my last post about this, I bet a few more people still won't get the point though.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:03 PM

congratulations on your new-ish car. I wouldn't have made that decision, but nonetheless, congrats.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:10 PM
Contributing Member

unfortunate you were unwilling/able to use the knowledge gained on yota tech on the 4runner. good luck with your continuing education and hopefully you will get another toyota when you are working fulltime.

lee
Old 12-09-2007, 01:57 PM

This thread piqued my curiosity, so I checked and saw that an 04 Cavalier is worth no where near $11,000...and barely the $8,000 this guy paid.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
okay, seems like enough. No need to try and rub it in his face. He likes his new car, good for him. End it at that.

Quick Reply: My 4-runner is history : (