86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My 1987 2wd drive project. Fixed up, stolen, and now fixing it again

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 1987 2wd drive project. Fixed up, stolen, and now fixing it again

I bought an 87 2wd 22R in August. My truck has been in NC its whole life, and a farm truck for its first 20 years. It's just the right amount of beat up to be a good shop truck with the only rust being the bits of surface rust on the paint scuffs and a very small amount on the drivers side rear upper shock mount. I use the truck as my shop truck for hauling car parts and I also drive my 3 year around town in it once or twice and week.

Short after buying the truck I replaced a bunch of parts:
*Complete drum brake rebuild
*New calipers
*New rotors
*all new brake hoses
*new pads
*new brake master cylinder
*4 new shocks (super cheap monroe shocks)
*replaced parking brake cable
*Flushed the brake fluid with my motive bleeder

Last weekend my truck was stolen and today I got a call that it was found a mile up the highway.

The interior was soaked from being left in the rain with the windows down. I have the seats inside by the heater to dry. If anyone near NC has these parts please send me a message.

My shopping list for repairs:
New upper steering column
New ignition/upper steering column cover
New gas cap door
New battery
New head unit

I also need to do an alignment. There is some tow out on the driver side front tire which leads to off center tracking and very exciting high speed steering. Around town having some front tow out has been loads of fun. It feels like there is very little caster and that combined with the tow out makes steering a handful.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:26 AM

Can someone school me on what years/models are compatible on the upper steering column?
Old 12-06-2017, 08:44 AM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Hey! It is good seeing another 2WD truck here.

It is tool bad it got stolen and damaged. That just sucks, but I am happy you got your truck back! That doesn't seem to happen most of the time.

If I remember correctly, all 1984-1988 trucks, both 2WD and 4WD and 1984-1989 4Runners should have the same upper steering column cover except for "tilt vs. no "tilt" option. For the 1987 and 1988 (& 1989 for 4Runners) model years, Toyota made some minor changes to the interior such as the dash pad and gauge cluster surround but I don't think the change affected the steering column cover. If your truck does not have a "tilt" steering column, look for trucks that also did not have the "tilt" option. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Good luck on the repairs!

Last edited by old87yota; 12-06-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:25 AM

I do want to replace the cover but the main priority is the upper steering column assembly. The turn signal switch is dead and they broke the steering wheel lock.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:09 AM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by asmasm
I do want to replace the cover but the main priority is the upper steering column assembly. The turn signal switch is dead and they broke the steering wheel lock.
Ah, got ya.

I think all non-tilt steering columns without the auto shift indicator should be the same for the years listed above. Toyota liked to change wire colors just about each production year so the wire colors may not be the same but the circuit should still work.

How much of the steering column wiring and switches got damaged?

You might be able to just replace the turn signal/ headlight switch and the lock cylinder if the rest is OK.

If the damage is pretty bad, I would just replace the whole combination headlight/turn signal/wiper switch assembly with ignition switch and lock cylinder.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:36 AM

Got a new battery today. Found out they ˟˟˟˟ed up the positive wiring in the engine bay but I made a temporary repair and was rewarded with a truck that runs. The truck is also about a half quart down on oil from when it was taken...

Last edited by asmasm; 12-08-2017 at 05:05 AM.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:45 AM

It's finally warm here so I started fixing the truck. I bought a replacement combination switch but once I got the steering wheel off I found the ignition switch housing is cracked in two.

I haven't been able to find one on ebay and my local LKQ doesn't have one. If anyone has a parts truck and could sell me one, please PM me.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:42 AM

I got a new upper steering column on ebay but it is trash.

So now I am left with transplanting the ignition housing. I thought this would be straight forward, remove clip, slide off of shaft. On my existing steering column the housing was split and easy enough to pull off. I can't get this bearing off (on either shaft). It doesn't want to slide past the groove made the for the clip:

Is there a trick to this I'm missing? It slides freely back and forth on the shaft until it hits the groove cut for the clip.

Last edited by asmasm; 02-01-2018 at 11:53 AM.