86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Muffler advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 10:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Muffler advice

Well, its safe to say I've been less than pleased with my PaceSetter 2.25" cat-back. I like the performance gains, however minimal, but I'm not happy with the sound. I want something that'll give me a good solid rumble in the cab to help drown out the sound of my mudders and my unpleasently noisy 3.0. I was thinking about getting a Flowmaster 40 series, but can anyone give me an experienced opinion? Thanks
Old 11-11-2007, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had a 40 series on my first gen 4runner running an aggressively cammed and bored 20r...i got stopped several times by guys who swore i had a v8...one guy wouldnt believe me until i popped the hood and counted the spark plug wires for him! needless to say, a 40 is very loud with a lot of hollow, low end rumble. i was more pleased with mine before i put a high flow cat on it (priorly had no cat) but even with the cat it was quite impressive. personally, i don't think i will go that loud again. it got very obnoxious never being able to hear my passenger without yellng...but on the flip side, it sure was fun! oh yeah, check out ebay...used ones come up pretty often and a lot of times you can find a guy who put one (or two) on, decided they were too loud, and then took them off. good luck.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:27 AM

So, basically its too loud, then? I don't wanna be waking the dead or anything. Honestly, the sound of my current muffler outside the truck is pretty satisfying, its just that you don't get any of the sound in the cab. What about Magnaflow? Are they any good? I'm not stuck on Flowmaster if there's something better to look in to.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:35 AM

i have this problem in my truck! Here you will see how loud my actual motor is from the cam and work...than you will hear the exhaust. But when im IN the truck...I dont hear anything

Im looking for new mufflers to
Old 11-11-2007, 11:37 AM

shoot... no speakers on the work computer. But you know what I'm talking about. It gets annoying hearing that all the time. Anybody have good results from a glasspack? If they're any good, they're cheap which is nice
Old 11-11-2007, 11:37 AM

BTW my setup is dual high flow cats into a single dynomax muffler and dual outlets. I think thats the problem dual-single-dual!!! Im debating on ripping that single muffler out and running two cherry bombs, like the long skinny ones...or TRYING to fit in dual flowmaster 40s. Space is my issure..just not sure how a couple cherry bombs woudl sound on that thing.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:51 AM

I run a custom-made cat-back exhaust with a Flowmaster 40 series muffler routed the same as a stock pipe, exiting behind the tire, on my '93 extra-cab 4x4, V6, 5spd, I really love the sound.

Its a low rumble and picks up a little through to about 3500rpm, then it actually seems to drop off.

I previously have owned a bunch of Firebirds, T/A's, and GTO's, so I have a BIG love for a V8 rumble, the Flowmaster gets me as close to being happy with the sound of my V6 Yota as I think I can be!
Old 11-11-2007, 12:10 PM

Well, I can't argue with loving the sound of an old V8, but I'd also like to hear the sound of passengers talking to me, the radio, emergeny vehicles in route, etc... Its hard for me to get a good idea of whats a 'good' sounding muffler seeing as everyone's idea of that is a little different. I just don't wanna go buying one, installing it, and figuring out a few days later that its not what I want. I'd like to go with a glasspack simply because its the one setup that seems to get good review from everybody running them. My only concern is that everybody I know who gets one loves it for six months and then it seems to go to crap.

Its a low rumble and picks up a little through to about 3500rpm, then it actually seems to drop off.
That, for me, is a plus. I really want that low rumble tone, and seldom see anything past 3500 rpms anyway. But again, how loud are we talking?

Last edited by nix4x4; 11-11-2007 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:20 PM

see I want a muffler that is loud and deep at low RPMs and kind of drops off at higher rpms. The only time im on the highway is when im runing my GF back home from college. So ide like it to be quiter for her sake lol. But other than that, im alone and just running around town...wanting it to be LOUD and deep.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:30 PM

Yeah I'm kinda the same way. The only time I see 3 grand+ for any real amount of time is on the highway and for how much I'm the highway (2x a week at best) I really don't care what it sounds like. For the most part, I just putt around town and shift below 3k. What are the differences between the Super 40 and the Delta 40?
Old 11-11-2007, 12:44 PM

The delta has a nice sound outside of the truck, but low interior sound...BUT with the added baffles, it doesnt give as much performance and flowmaster liked...So they came out with the SUPER44. Almost the same to the DELTA40, but provides a little extra performance due to differant insides. Personally, ide run this one...http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/pr...oducts_id=4083
SUPER tough if your in the woods. The casing protects against rocks,sticks and twigs...or whatever else you happen to run over.$$$ though. I MAY try the cheep cherry bombs...duals
Old 11-11-2007, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in the same boat too although I'm working with the 4 banger. My manifold is cracked so I need to do something relatively soon. I've settled on an LCE header and thinking I'm going with the 50 series. Flowmaster is claiming it to be much quieter inside the truck. I agree that the noise is fun at first but gets old eventually. There is also the 60 series supposedly made specifically for 4 & 6 cyl applications you can check out. I'm leaning toward the 50 because it has the largest body of the bunch. While I was poking around the net I found this site with sound clips and I'm assuming they are all on big V8s except the 60 series clip.
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...FRIUagodu3kC9g
Old 11-11-2007, 12:56 PM

Well, the cherry bomb option always lingers in the back of my mind. I guess it depends on whether or not you want straight pipes three or four months after you put em on. If the price difference is worth a "girlfriend un-friendly" truck later on, then go for it. I used that phrase because I know all too much about that. I can't count how many times I hear "God... Now I smell like gas because your truck...Its too loud/rough/tall/etc..."

As far as the added toughness with the 44, I really don't see a conditon where my muffler is gonna be in danger of becoming damaged. Or if it is, its probly the least of my worries at that point

Last edited by nix4x4; 11-11-2007 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by nix4x4

As far as the added toughness with the 44, I really don't see a conditon where my muffler is gonna be in danger of becoming damaged. Or if it is, its probly the least of my worries at that point
Ditto. It is cool looking though. Maybe next time you go out with your GF you can lay under the truck looking at your muffler instead of the stars
Old 11-11-2007, 01:04 PM

BLKNBLU, if it were my truck, I'd want to go with a muffler like a Delta 40 simply because you've got the rice-factor to deal with. I'm guessing, volume levels aside, that you probably want a lower tone than some whiney raspy sounding muffler. I dont know much about those 60 series you were referring to, they might just do the trick.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
Ditto. It is cool looking though. Maybe next time you go out with your GF you can lay under the truck looking at your muffler instead of the stars
I'd probably have a better chance of scoring, too
Old 11-11-2007, 01:11 PM

haha my girl love smy truck...She calls it the monster truck, tells me all the time it smells like gas and oil and that its hard for her to get in it. BUT when i go to pick her up she always says "can you bring monsyer truck?" So she loves it Nothing better than ahot girl who likes big trucks HAHA. I want a nice sound, and i just dont know if the cherry bombs will do that or not. I guess for $20 a peice..it worth a shot.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:17 PM

Hell, thats all you can do is try it out to know for sure. With a vehicle as unigue as yours, it'll be hard to get an idea of what itll sound like otherwise. Regardless of sound, you should get some more power by running true duals
Old 11-11-2007, 01:17 PM

I've heard good feedback on Cherry Bomb Vortex, but thats not the $20 one.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:22 PM

These are for tight space apps. I know your not realistically going to buy 2 $130+ mufflers, but listen to the sound clip just for grins and giggles.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...53272_-1_10265

Quick Reply: Muffler advice