86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

muffler

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
muffler

so do you think a Kawasaki bike muffler would work om my 1986 Toyota 4x4 ext. cab turbo pickup. or do you think i will have problems.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:21 PM

It would probably work, but would be pretty restrictive. I would just get a muffler put on from your local exhaust shop.

Rob
Old 09-07-2006, 12:25 PM

well the guy that i got the truck from put one on there. do you think it would cause the truck to become sluggish?
Old 09-07-2006, 01:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's just a guess, but I would think the last thing you would want to do to a turbocharged engine is restrict the exhaust in any way.

As a matter of fact, you should consider either ditching the cat or going to a high flow version, and getting a bigger exhaust pipe run rather than putting a small motorcycle muffler on the stock pipe.

Turbo's need to flow...
Old 09-07-2006, 02:10 PM

there is no cat just a welded on kawasaki motor cycle muffler.WE plan on re doing the exhuast after the motor is pulled .
Old 09-07-2006, 02:45 PM

Btw, what bike is it off of? Can you tell?

If its off a ZX12 it probably has a bigger hole in it than any aftermarket muffler does...

Anything else though is probably 2 inches or less.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:52 PM

its not off yet maybe ssaturday. want to buy it ill put it up for sale on e bay
Old 09-08-2006, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
really, are you kidding?

By NO means would I EVER put a lower restrictive pipe on my truck thats just plain nonsence, im not flaming anyone, but please dont even entertain the idea, your asking for all sorts of problems, overheating pipes, burnt and carboned valves, a whole lot of stuff.
IMO I would put a higher flow pipe, say a 2-1/4" and a higher flow muffler, to reduce this little thing called "backpressure" which is good, and bad. I changed my 22re from the stock pipe to 2-1/4", and removed the cat(not required here) and noticed a small but definetly noticible gain in power on accelerating and climbing hills. this paired with a performance high flow air filter setup would be a good ideal starting point. NEVER CONSTRICT AIRFLOW!!! bad idea. Just my opinion.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
i agree with everyone here saying u should take it off for sure...BTW do u have any pics of it, i have to see wut this looks like!
Old 09-08-2006, 03:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i would run 2-1/2'' pipe from the turbo back to a 18'' magnaflow muffler
Old 09-08-2006, 04:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tom renzoni
there is no cat just a welded on kawasaki motor cycle muffler.WE plan on re doing the exhuast after the motor is pulled .
Whatever you end up doing please make sure you put a cat back in. Your gains without one are minimal and are not worth the price we pay in bad air.
No more preaching from me
Old 09-08-2006, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by TOYOTATUNER
By NO means would I EVER put a lower restrictive pipe on my truck thats just plain nonsence, im not flaming anyone, but please dont even entertain the idea, your asking for all sorts of problems, overheating pipes, burnt and carboned valves, a whole lot of stuff.
IMO I would put a higher flow pipe, say a 2-1/4" and a higher flow muffler, to reduce this little thing called "backpressure" which is good, and bad. I changed my 22re from the stock pipe to 2-1/4", and removed the cat(not required here) and noticed a small but definetly noticible gain in power on accelerating and climbing hills. this paired with a performance high flow air filter setup would be a good ideal starting point. NEVER CONSTRICT AIRFLOW!!! bad idea. Just my opinion.

Dude... You do know that a "lower restrictive" and a "higher flow" "pipe" are both the same thing right?

I think you meant to say "higher restrictive" or "more restrictive" or "lower flow" to describe the motorcycle muffler...

No matter what you meant to call it, if its an aftermarket motorcycle can it's going to flow 10 times better than a stock toyota muffler. And if by chance it came off of a ZX12 and is an aftermarket pipe, it will flow even better than that. Have you ever seen a motorcycle muffler?

I also don't ever recommend free flow or K+N type air filters. The filter is not the weak link in the air intake system not to mention the K+N type filters let way too much dirt pass to be considered a viable trade-off for 1/2 horsepower...
Old 09-08-2006, 06:06 PM

A moto muffler may or may not flow more than OEM. Post a photo as suggested... A Supertrapp from a bike with no plates on it is like running a glasspack.

K&N does let more dirt in than OEM, but that's why you OIL it.

The turbo truck will do a lot better with an exhaust system.. It's a bigger improvement than the NA 22RE. The thing is, that you need to do the whole system.

An aftermarket 2.5" cat can be had for $50 or so.

Don't run without a cat on a 22RE. You're talking about a .25 hp gain, if that and your emissions will literally go up by a factor of 10.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by dcg9381
A moto muffler may or may not flow more than OEM. Post a photo as suggested... A Supertrapp from a bike with no plates on it is like running a glasspack.

K&N does let more dirt in than OEM, but that's why you OIL it.

No offense, but even OILED the K+N and clone type filters still let too much dirt in for little or abolutely no gains at all...

There really just isn't much room for improvement in the intake system from my experiences and from what I've read.

That is, unles you want to be in the fram commercial and claim your gains are "WWWOWOWOWOW OOOOOH MAN!!!!!"

Old 09-08-2006, 06:59 PM

no photos yet ill try tommorrow. I bought the truck this way and i think it is a stupid idea to do that. Im going to make it right and put a system back on like the original setup.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:17 PM

This might not apply to the 22re, but on my 3.0 I removed the cat and the thing ran like crap when it was cold (rich). I am guessing there was either not enough backpressure to operate EGR valve, AS system, or the o2 sensor was getting funky readings and trying to compensate. I put the cat back on and it made a world of difference. Infact putting the cat back on did not change MPG (if anything it increased MPG slightly). Although the truck ran good when warm, I didn't notice any perfomance gains with the cat removed.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:28 PM

Please put a cat on your truck. The air is bad enough, end of rant.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
lets stop the cat fight .... order it from here http://www.hottexhaust.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=53006 $62 bucks shipped
Old 09-08-2006, 07:48 PM

Summit racing is also reasonable on Toyota exaust systems and converters.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:34 AM

Ditching the cat on my 22re had no adverse effects at all. After looking inside of it there is just no way that you guys can tell me that it isn't a major restriction.

As a matter of fact, when I had the exhaust done it made it run like a different truck. It definitely likes to rev more now than it did before, but I also don't feel the need to shift it because it feels like its going to explode.

The exhaust smells a little worse, but its nothing to get worked up about.

In my opinion the number of people that are actually getting rid of their cats is so small its nothing to get worked up about. Most states require them still so that takes care of most people that consider it, and out of the states that don't test, most people either don't consider doing it or won't do it.

I am not concerned with what my little 22re is doing to the environment. It's only one truck.

To each their own though I suppose... If you believe in them by all means be sure to run one.

Last edited by ovrrdrive; 09-09-2006 at 05:38 AM.

Quick Reply: muffler