86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Moving to Hawaii, now I have to pass safety

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving to Hawaii, now I have to pass safety

So as the tittle suggest I'm moving from Virginia to Hawaii in January. My 4runner that has been exempt from inspection for the last couple of years will have to pass safety inspections. This should be fun.

One of the requirements is doors must have a primary and secondary latch. I have tube doors with bear catch latches. I'm familiar with the double latch concert for the hood, I'm not even sure how to apply it to the doors.

The second issue is the fenders have to completely cover the tires. Right now I have about 3 inches sticking out. Perfectly legal in VA, but not in Hawaii. I saw a lot of truck like mine with just a flat piece of plastic or sheet metal sticking out to cover the entire tread width. I'm looking for ideas that might look a little less like a hack job. I'm thinking about doing some type of tube fender, but I'm coming up short on ideas of how to make it look decent. If anyone has some suggestions I would love to hear them,

Thanks
Old 11-19-2016, 09:59 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Tires that stick out needs to be covered with a fender of some sort. Don't know about the primary and secondary door latch concern. If not stock, e.g., lifted, etc., you'll also need a "Reconstructed Vehicle Inspection" sticker which is separate from the safety check inspection. There is only 1 place the city does the recon inspection in Kapahulu under the Harding avenue overpass. Exhaust systems are exempt from recon inspection. Good luck and welcome to Hawaii.
Old 11-19-2016, 04:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If the vehicle is currently compliant with all Federal safety requirements applicable to and as established in accordance with its date of manufacture, it is legally able to be registered in any other state in the Union.

Precedence:
California tried something similar a few years back, although a little different. CA was requiring vehicles brought into the state to adapt to and pass its emissions regulations. People filed suit against CA and won. IIRC, the basis was that by denying one from emigrating from some state into CA, and requiring their vehicles be modified, was the equivalent of levying a tax on those emigrants. That is something that, again IIRC, the 14th amendment prohibits.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
If the vehicle is currently compliant with all Federal safety requirements applicable to and as established in accordance with its date of manufacture, it is legally able to be registered in any other state in the Union.

Precedence:
California tried something similar a few years back, although a little different. CA was requiring vehicles brought into the state to adapt to and pass its emissions regulations. People filed suit against CA and won. IIRC, the basis was that by denying one from emigrating from some state into CA, and requiring their vehicles be modified, was the equivalent of levying a tax on those emigrants. That is something that, again IIRC, the 14th amendment prohibits.
This is my second go around in Hawaii. I've doubted Hawaii vehicle law were legal for many years. I'm not going to be a Hawaii resident, but I still have to have all my cars registered and inspected in Hawaii. It is annoying, especially since I have a permanent registration on the 4runner and just paid registration on the other two. I am however not looking to get into a legal argument with the state of Hawaii. Driving around with out of state plates also makes you a target for every cop and thief on the island. 12 years ago things were simple. Call up your best Polynesian friend, buy a case of beer and head north or west. Apparently now it is all high tech, and they have to take pictures and do audits.

Oh well, old doors are going back on, Safelite is replacing the windshield, and Bushwacker fender flares are ordered. I hope the fender flares are big enough to cover the tires.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by gte718p
This is my second go around in Hawaii. I've doubted Hawaii vehicle law were legal for many years. I'm not going to be a Hawaii resident, but I still have to have all my cars registered and inspected in Hawaii. It is annoying, especially since I have a permanent registration on the 4runner and just paid registration on the other two. I am however not looking to get into a legal argument with the state of Hawaii. Driving around with out of state plates also makes you a target for every cop and thief on the island. 12 years ago things were simple. Call up your best Polynesian friend, buy a case of beer and head north or west. Apparently now it is all high tech, and they have to take pictures and do audits.

Oh well, old doors are going back on, Safelite is replacing the windshield, and Bushwacker fender flares are ordered. I hope the fender flares are big enough to cover the tires.
With what you got, looks like you'll pass. I see lifted Jeeps and trucks with wider tires and Bushwhacker flares just covering part of the tires with current safety check stickers. Safety checks are now all electronic and your license plate numbers are printed on the sticker itself as well as the certificate that goes in the glove box. Google Hawaii Safety Check or Motor Vehicle Registration to pull up State or City's website and it'll have information there. Sorry in the field with spotty internet.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:08 AM

Well my truck is almost back to fully legal status. It has real doors, fender flairs, and new glass. Still have to do a tighten up the parking brake and get sum mud flaps.

Anndel, know any good Toyota mechanics in Honolulu. I am going to need to get some work done, but don't have time to do it myself.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by gte718p
Well my truck is almost back to fully legal status. It has real doors, fender flairs, and new glass. Still have to do a tighten up the parking brake and get sum mud flaps.

Anndel, know any good Toyota mechanics in Honolulu. I am going to need to get some work done, but don't have time to do it myself.
Sorry I don't anymore most of them retired or packed up and moved to the mainland. I'll check and let you know.