Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

determining if I have a blown head gasket or timing chain 86 22r

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
determining if I have a blown head gasket or timing chain 86 22r

Hey all,
This is my first post, I have an 86 22r pick up and it has a rough idle, started spitting vapor/oil out of the exhaust also there is carbon build up on the muffler and there was a smell. I have recently changed out the fuel and water pump, oil change as well as new spark plugs. At first I thought I might just have to clean the carb. When I added fuel treatment it seemed to clear up but then the issue would come back after about half a tank of gas. After doing some research on here it seems likes it narrowed down to either the head gasket or the timing chain. So I was wondering if there is a way to check to see which one it is, besides fixing both? Thanks
Old 11-17-2016, 06:02 AM

Well If it was me. I would do a compression test first.
Then I would pull the rocker arm cover off and look at the top part of the chain and sprocket. If that looked good I would take a inspection camera and shove it down in the front part and look at that. Fantronics 7mm Android Endoscope OTG Micro USB Endoscope Waterproof Borescopes Inspection Camera with 6 LED and 3.5M Cable its about 15 bucks.
The ruff idle was a symptom pf my bad head gasket. but i did not get oil or a smell. I did have exhaust gasses in the coolant.
The link in my sig line is my head job on a 22re
Old 11-17-2016, 11:17 AM

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
I would be checking timing. Keep it simple. Headgasket not fun stuff. A sniff test of coolant will expose a head gasket. IF coolant smells like exhaust it is your head gasket however best off for a second opinion and have a pro use a electronic sniffer on it for what its worth before changing a head gasket. There is not always visible coolant in oil when head gasket fails.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:07 PM

Just got done with the timing, and it looks like it's retarded, so I will mess with that, and let you guys how it goes! Thanks for the tips
Old 12-01-2016, 08:07 AM

you. an see the massive amount of vapor and water.

not sure if you can see the leak but it's in the center below that plug.
well. I adjusted the timing the rough idle is gone... but tons of vapor is coming out and it looks like i have a water leak at the exhaust now too.I will post up photos
Old 12-01-2016, 09:46 AM

1992 Toyota SR5 4 Runner engine swap

Hello, I have the following vehicle: 1992 Toyota SR5, 4 Runner, 6 cylinder, 3.0 L V6 (3VZ-E) engine. Instead of putting back in the same engine who has a history of blowing head gaskets, do you know of another engine I may replace it with?
Old 12-01-2016, 10:26 AM

As mentioned, do a compression check on each cylinder. if you have a failing head gasket, that will tell you! It would seem that the gasket is allowing coolant to pass into 1 or more cylinders and expelling it in the exhaust. If the exhaust is leaking in the engine compartment, hard to see from your pics, it could be that the moisture has deteriorated your exhaust gasket donut at the connection and thus allowing gases and the problem antifreeze to leak at the joint? Should hear a ticking when reving if an exhaust leak. Be careful, don't want to let this go or it could result in a hydro-locked engine!
Old 12-06-2016, 04:47 PM

Jazz1 suggested having a pro do a sniff test. Another option is to use a block tester. For example, www.blocktester.com/instructions.htm. Same principal, but one is a gas meter and the other is a color changing fluid.

check your local auto parts stores for loaners. I went to buy one at O'Reilly but while standing at the counter trying to explain what I wanted, I happened to look down and noticed the kit on the loaner tools sheet. You pay about $7.00 for the test fluid.

I brief, the concept is the kit allows you to test for exhaust gases in the coolant. Easy to do, and cheap. From every think I read, it is a very reliable test.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could try re torquing your head bolts to factory specs. May or may not work. But if it does, you didn't buy anything. I've seen people post about doing it with fruition. Haven't had to do it personally.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:45 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by bootscootboogie
You could try re torquing your head bolts to factory specs. ...
Not really meaningful on a 3VZE, as they have torque-to-angle head bolts. (unlike the 22re)

I suppose you could back out all of the head bolts and re-run the torquing sequence, but that sounds like it would create a leak for sure.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He has an 86 22R though
Old 12-08-2016, 04:44 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
I thought you were responding to cskysurfer (who, admittedly, was hijacking). On re-reading, I probably got that wrong.

So, yes, retorquing a 22r or 22re is something you can do that probably won't hurt. But it probably is meaningless for a 3VZE.