Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Motocrossaddict's complete auto to manual swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea i woulda just jumped my wires but just in case some else drives it and doesnt realize its in gear an accident could happen plus it took maybe a total of 5 minutes so its no big deal.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by motocrossaddict223
yea the guy had a 2in body lift so i cut the extension off and just rewelded it, now when i out the knobs on it hits the tcase shifter in reverse. fml. so im gunna heat it up and bend it a little and keep my tcase knob off for a while til i get my new shifter. On a side note where did you hide your ect?
I just unplugged it. Everything still works without it, so it is gone. I still have to tuck the wires up out of the way and I'm not going to toss it just yet but everything except the back up lights are working and I don't think I will need the ECT to figure them out.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:51 PM

woah really i can just unplug it awesome i was afraid id have to keep it. Thanks man! So does anyone have some pics of the wires you need for the reverse lights and how you plugged them into the reverse light switch on the tranny. Im still a little confused on my reverse lights im not sure why this just confuses the hell out of me for some reason.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:31 PM

I tried to figure out the reverse lights before I pulled the auto but didn't want to spend too much time on it at that point. If it comes to it I will go to the rear light housings and figure out the wiring from the back forward and then hook it up direct with an inline fuse and run a couple of wires to the switch plug on the side of the transmission. (worst case scenario) I am going to work on it this weekend when/if I figure it out I will let you know. Let me know if you figure out a simple solution.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
It would be awesome if you guys could post up pictures of the wires and what colors to cut and splice together for the neutral safety switch and the reverse lights as well. I have had my 5 spd swap done for 4 years and I have never had the correct wires. It has been out of service for the past 2 years, but im bout to get her going again. I finally have the funds to put into her again and would like to address this now. Thanks
Old 04-24-2012, 03:18 PM

My issue now is i have astumble at around 2k rpms then itll shoot up to normal, ive read this is because of the neutral start switch but i tried with it with the wires looped, with the ect without the ect so whats my issue? And as far as wiring i have pics of neutral start switch but if you want better ones ill go get some more.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:49 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
subscribed
Old 04-26-2012, 03:06 AM

Man i cant believe no one has chimed in to help geeze....well bump
Old 04-26-2012, 04:17 PM

well i worked on my stumble issue and was wondering if it because my driveshafts arent attached idk what do you guys think? Im waiting on my adapter from marlin to actually drive it.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:38 PM

Hey, sorry, thought I had replied but its not there. I don't know what happended to my post? I thought you were up and running, didn't know you didn't have your drive shafts installed. Just sitting there reving it in neutral it could be there isn't anything realy wrong and it will be fine once you are actualy driving it. I don't know why the neutral start conection would effect it since it is only for starting once it is running it can be disconected. I sugjested you check around in your engine compartment for loose wires and vacuum hoses. Something might have gotten knocked a little bit loose while you were installing your clutch hydraulic line or something.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:52 PM

Yea haha not quite, I've been cycling through the gears seeing how they feel because earlier I had an issue with the clutch not pushing the clutch fork enough but I've checked all my lines already. I read on another post someone had a stumble and the neutral start switch was the issue but we'll see when I drive it.

Originally Posted by Tellurider
Hey, sorry, thought I had replied but its not there. I don't know what happended to my post? I thought you were up and running, didn't know you didn't have your drive shafts installed. Just sitting there reving it in neutral it could be there isn't anything realy wrong and it will be fine once you are actualy driving it. I don't know why the neutral start conection would effect it since it is only for starting once it is running it can be disconected. I sugjested you check around in your engine compartment for loose wires and vacuum hoses. Something might have gotten knocked a little bit loose while you were installing your clutch hydraulic line or something.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:04 PM

Reverse Lights Working

Hey, I just finished getting my reverse lights figured out and hooked up!
I had it partly figured out before I pulled the automatic. I had the shifter in reverse and unpluged the conections to the tranny one at a time checking each time to see if the reverse lights go out. I also did the same with the neutral/park wires I unplugged conectors one at a time until it wouldn't start.
It came down to one conector for the park neutral and there were two plugs that disconected the reverse light. One of the conectors that disconected the reverse light was also the park/neutral plug it only had three conductors and two of them were the park/neutral. I figured the other one was for the reverse lights and it was. The wire for reverse light in this plug was red/w blue stripe on the wireing harness side and was light blue comming out the other side of the plug going to the transmission. The other plug had three wires red, blue, and green, same colors on both sides of the plug. I tried the obvious first and connected the blue wire and nothing. The second choice red (since the wire comming into the plug was red/blue) and it worked the reverse lights came on. So I took the other side of the plug that connects to the 5 speed transmission and hooked it up to the two wires and taped them up.

Last edited by Tellurider; 04-27-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:47 PM

hmm ook so red/blue and red thats what my manual said too i just couldnt find it. got a pic?
Old 04-28-2012, 06:27 AM

They're the plugs just above the starter. On my 86 the red/blue wire went to a round plug with three wires. The other two in the plug were white/black and black, and they were the two wires for the neutral/park. The other plug was rectangular shaped and had spaces for six wires but it only had three wires, red, blue, and green. The red wire is just a switched positive you coud use any switched positive I'm pretty sure. You wouldn't want to use unswitched power because if you left your truck in reverse when parked the reverse lights would stay on and run your battery down.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:24 AM

Are you still needing to get the reverse lights working? On my auto the nss had a round plug with three wires. the one smaller wire is the reverse lights. I bought an inline fuse and wired it up and checked it. It worked fine. I still need the plug that matches my w56c.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:46 PM

wow so i just finished everything up and drove it..oo my its awesome, it really brings the 3.0 to life. I still need to do my reverse lights but ill be gome all this week so theyll have to wait till thursday.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:25 PM

so i havent got the reverse lights yet because ive been working on my front drive shaft and turns out i need another adapter yaay. So can anyone tell me which wires to use from the plugs. My schematic says red and-or red/blue well my neutral start plug thing from the auto has those but that doesnt work sooo anyone actually hooked up the reverse lights on their 3vze?
Old 07-09-2012, 09:55 PM

I'm putting in manual into my 89 runner also, did you get the rev lights working...I'm at the point of doing the clutch, parts are from my 87 pickup which is getting a 4.3 v6 and a th 350. Thanks for posting the info...Bill
Old 07-10-2012, 05:28 AM

Well if you're going to be swapping a 4.3 in, I dont know if the wiring will be the same but i dont think any of the reverse light wiring goes to the ecu, so you should be ok. My reverse light switch was bad on my tranny which is why i couldnt get them to work originally. I took out my fsm and looked at the wiring diagrams then found what color wires went to the reverse lights, then i cut those wires and jammed the ends into the switch. This worked for awhile but i went to a junkyard and found a reverse light pigtail and spliced the wires together so i now have a plug. I also have some auxiliary reverse lights mounted onto my receiver that i spliced into the reverse light wires. If this is confusing let me know and ill try to elaborate more.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:49 AM

Thanks, sorry my 89 4runner is the transmission swap from auto to manual and the 4.3 is automatic going into my 87 pickup...two projects...lol

By the way, your runner looks great

Quick Reply: Motocrossaddict's complete auto to manual swap