Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Modification laundry list! Any help is good.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modification laundry list! Any help is good.

I've got a mostly stock 1994 pickup, 4x4 manual 22re on 34" swampers. There are a few things I'd like to do, on a minimal budget.

1) Rally tires. The 34's get looks, but they kill mileage and aren't that great for blasting down dirt roads (75mph top speed sucks). I'd like less profile, but still be able to keep the deep treads. Any suggestions? My wheels are 17x10.5 by the way.

2) Short throw shift. Any good kits?

3) Engine swap. I'd like a Tundra V8 but I'd like to install it without the sawzall. The air conditioning, power steering, radio, wiper fluid, and heater can go though, I don't use them. Anyone have success, difficulties, or know where to get a complete crate Tundra V8?

4) Roof top lights. Preferably pre-runner style. Cheaper to build my own? I could do it. Where can I get cheap lights (Daylighter style), and how can I wire them to my highbeams? (on the little light roller thing on the steering column)

5) Fenders. I need cheap, and high clearance.

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll take a crack at it.

1) You have large rims. Too little profile will expose the rim to damage when you take a hit hard. Also be forewarned, your issue isn't the profile, it's the outer diameter. You need to regear good and low. 5.29's should do it unless you swap in a big engine.

2) I dunno about that one. My 5 speed was fine, short throw would not have improved anything.

3) That's a deep question. When you say "budget", how much we talkin' here? There are so many paths you could take but engine swaps are not really cheap... at all... The 3.4 is popular, you could acquire an older American V8 for cheap... so many ways to go. I'd keep the weight down and go with the 3.4 if I was you.

4) Lights, heck you can get them anywhere. Be advised though, they will make much more drag and slow you down even more. You'd be better to mount some on the bumper but there are advantages to mounting higher up.

5) Fenders? Not sure. Body lifts are cheap and durable. I'm not running tires that large so I have not looked into fenders.

What do you want out of this truck. You are talking about power but not gearing or suspension. Is that important to you?
Old 02-02-2008, 10:22 PM

2) yeah short throw was a creature comfort...

4) I didn't think a couple lights would make that much drag... and the 75 mph top speed probabaly won't be to hurt (like oh snap, 74 mph. loljk) so I wanted to put them up top because I would appreciate seeing a bit further.

5) I don't dig body lifts... they raise the center of gravity, but don't possitively benefit performance like a real lift, or higher clearance fenders, which create clearance without altering physics

mostly I do pre-running and trailblazing. the stock gearing works fine, and all though I could go for a little cushy-er suspension hitting washboards, there is nothing in my league I can afford (think Baja 1000) so I'm content with what I've got. So yes, the gearing and suspension are important, just... somewhat taken care of for the moment.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:34 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
you are asking for mods that are not cheap. And trying to do them cheap. Not a good combination.

1.17" rims, tire of ANY size are going to be spendy. My 99 Dodge Ram currently runs 305-75-16 tires and they are about 33" and SPENDY.

2.4x4's dont need a short throw. Whats the point?

3.Again cheap and engine swap do not go togther. Since no one makes a kit yet, expect to pay well over 5 grand.

4.GOOGLE

5.Toyotafiberglass.com carries them, but not for "cheap"
Old 02-02-2008, 10:45 PM

downey offroad has fenders for ya, keep the four banger, toss the rims and get some 15x8s and thesehttp://treadwright.com/Tires-31x10_50R15_OTR-P15.aspx
got them on my truck some of the best tires i have ever had.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by captain_howdy
2) yeah short throw was a creature comfort...

4) I didn't think a couple lights would make that much drag... and the 75 miles per hour top speed probabaly won't be to hurt (like oh snap, 74 miles per hour. loljk) so I wanted to put them up top because I would appreciate seeing a bit further.

5) I don't dig body lifts... they raise the center of gravity, but don't possitively benefit performance like a real lift, or higher clearance fenders, which create clearance without altering physics

mostly I do pre-running and trailblazing. the stock gearing works fine, and all though I could go for a little cushy-er suspension hitting washboards, there is nothing in my league I can afford (think Baja 1000) so I'm content with what I've got. So yes, the gearing and suspension are important, just... somewhat taken care of for the moment.
the lights wont make much drag, before i put my safari roof rack on i thought i would feel a lot of drag but i dont notice it.

and IMO body lift are good if you need clearence with out cutting wheel fenders, they dont raise the center of gravity nearly as mush as a susp. lift beacase it only lifts the body and not the heavy drivtrain too.

if your doing prerunning you should look into the total chaos lift. and get some 32's youll get some power back, i dont see why you would need 34's for prerunning on a stock truck

Last edited by 88wildrunner; 02-02-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:03 AM
Contributing Member

I'd stick with the 4 banger also. If you are concerned about power, consider regearing. As for the rims/tires, get yourself some 15, or 16 inch rims(stock Toyota ones can be had for pretty cheap, or just get some black steelys), and some 33's. Get a BODY LIFT. They are cheap, and add plenty of tire clearance in the fender, and they don't raise the center of gravity like a suspension lift will, because the frame, engine, tranny, t-case, and axles are still stock height, and you will have better access to some of the harder to get to locations on your truck(IE the oil filter, esp. on my 3.0) Get your self some lights it and you'll have NO problem finding at least several hundred different sites. if you wanna give your ol 22RE some more pep, get exhaust, and regear, maybe dump your cat(check your local emmissions laws before doing that, just to be sure) maybe add a couple bottles of injector cleaner to your next couple tankfulls, if you haven't done so already.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:20 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by stormin94
Get a BODY LIFT. They are cheap, and add plenty of tire clearance in the fender, and they don't raise the center of gravity like a suspension lift will, because the frame, engine, tranny, t-case, and axles are still stock height, and you will have better access to some of the harder to get to locations on your truck(IE the oil filter, esp. on my 3.0)
This is incorrect. The body lift WILL raise your center of gravity. They are cheap that much is true, but any lift whether suspension or body will raise the center of gravity.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:28 AM
Contributing Member

How old are you?

Stick with the 4banger and use that $$$ for a long travel suspension. If you throw a v8 in there but don't upgrade suspension, you will still only be able to go as fast as you do now on the trails. Faster on the highway, but still the same speed on the trails.

And make good use of the search feature and is your friend.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think what he was implying on the body lift comment is compared to a suspension lift, the weight being lifted with a body lift isn't as much as with a suspension. COG will be effected, but not as much as a suspension lift.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:45 PM

wow, that really took off!

all right, all advice taken.

plan of action:

1) rice the four-popper, maybe look into a re-build and turbo. keep the 34's for now, then go down to 32's next time.

2) long travel suspension.... gotta find one cheap. don't wanna just 'fab one up'.

3) lights will wait until they're in the budget.

clarification on body lift statement: body lift and suspension lifts both raise the C.O.G. but a body lift does not change suspension travel, travel speed, or suspension strength, it merely makes clearance for tires.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:58 PM

keep your 22re and build it up, I really doubt the rest of your drivetrain will hold up to a V8 with what you want to do with it (blast down dirt roads > 75mph???)...you'd open up pandora's box by doing that and end up spending thousands more than expected with upgrades and replacing grenaded parts, which is what it sounds like you'd end up doing. Suspension is way more important than a high hp/torque motor as a first step.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:07 PM

ohhh hahah no!!! no dirt roads over 75 sorry. i need to do 75+ for that "pavement" crap, and i would like to go a little faster for the dirt but noooo not 75! i value my pavement-plagued life.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:19 PM

wow, that really took off!

all right, all advice taken.

plan of action:

1) rice the four-popper, maybe look into a re-build and turbo. keep the 34's for now, then go down to 32's next time.

2) long travel suspension.... gotta find one cheap. don't wanna just 'fab one up'.

3) lights will wait until they're in the budget.

clarification on body lift statement: body lift and suspension lifts both raise the C.O.G. but a body lift does not change suspension travel, travel speed, or suspension strength, it merely makes clearance for tires.
You need to throw new gears into your list. It will make a bigger difference than any of your engine upgrades as far as acceleration is concerned.

Frank
Old 02-03-2008, 07:48 PM

I wouldn't say do the motor up thats in the truck. Drive the motor the way it is. A bunch of upgrades on the 4 banger wont do that much. Believe me I've done it. Header, rebuild did the K&N filter thing exhaust no turbo but by that point its always gonna be a 22R. Not overly fast but will never die. And after all that messing around with that truck and motor I researched for about 6 months and then invested in an imported toyota TD. But I did all my homework on the swap and everything first. Made a budget. Don't just go jumping into things. More than likely wont work out very well. Guess that addresses the first question but don't have the time or energy to talk about the other ones. But my best advice is do your homework on the stuff before you go doing it. That way you will be getting exactly what you want the first time.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:17 PM

Came with a new header and K&N, don't think they really do that much for it. I was mostly just gonna change a few things like taking that big dorky tube off my intake and having a ram-air style filter, and I want a rebuild 'cuz mines leaking oil pretty bad. Very white puff of smoke when she starts.

NOTE: I do not want lower gears. lower gears=lower top speed=not going the speed limit.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by EWAYota
I think what he was implying on the body lift comment is compared to a suspension lift, the weight being lifted with a body lift isn't as much as with a suspension. COG will be effected, but not as much as a suspension lift.
We have a winner. Thank you for clearing that up.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:19 PM

...wait, what? no! i already explained that! guh... never mind. i'll just wheel her till she breaks or 'splodes...that'll show me what I need to change hahahah
Old 02-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Contributing Member

...wait, what? no! i already explained that! guh... never mind. i'll just wheel her till she breaks or 'splodes...that'll show me what I need to change hahahah
So did I..... or so I though. . I'd definitely do a regear of some sort, though.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NOTE: I do not want lower gears. lower gears=lower top speed=not going the speed limit.
Lower gears=lower top speed? I'm willing to be your truck will go faster then 75mph with lower gearing

Quick Reply: Modification laundry list! Any help is good.