Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Methanol Injection on 3VZ-E?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Methanol Injection on 3VZ-E?

Was checking out Texas Ace's DIY methanol and water injection kit that's outlined here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/t...-150-a-222254/. I've also been reading up on the benefits. I might be able to buy a pump for under $50. But before I think about it, has anyone ever done this on the 3VZ-E? Our engines aren't power plants by any means but the lower engine temperatures sounds great, especially due to the HG problems we get.

If you have done it, could you share your experience and results?
Old 08-09-2013, 04:05 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
In all my days on this forum, I've only ever heard it mentioned once. IIRC the guy said he was running a Devil's Own Kit on his 3VZ-E. And he claimed he was making +90 HP with it. Like I said...IIRC.

I'm sure I could dig that thread up...if I had to. But those are the pertinent details...supposedly. Who really knows for sure if he was/is talking out of his ass or not though...this is the internet after all.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by MudHippy
In all my days on this forum, I've only ever heard it mentioned once. IIRC the guy said he was running a Devil's Own Kit on his 3VZ-E. And he claimed he was making +90 HP with it. Like I said...IIRC.

I'm sure I could dig that thread up...if I had to. But those are the pertinent details...supposedly. Who really knows for sure if he was/is talking out of his ass or not though...this is the internet after all.
+90 HP is obviously not true. How can a 150 HP tops engine increase by 60%? But, even a 10 HP gain would be great, when my truck is probably running at about 140 or so. If nothing else though, the lower temps and knock resistance would allow me to advance timing. If you could find that that would be awesome... I'll try looking as well.

And yeah, the Devil's Own is what Texas Ace over in the newer trucks & 4Runners said was the best for your money. I think I would use their nozzles if I did it.

Last edited by Gamefreakgc; 08-09-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The more you read about it, the more it makes sense that ANY vehicle can benefit from it. HP gains aside there seem to be some proactive maintenance and longevity benefits from it.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:12 PM

Anyone have any experience with meth on a 3VZE? All my leads have struck out, looks like those users aren't on Yotatech anymore.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:38 PM

Bueller? Bueller?

I've talked to a few people I know that have worked on trucks for a while and I've only heard good things so far (on a Naturally Aspirated engine that is). Any input is appreciated!
Old 08-17-2013, 04:03 PM

Pretty sure he's NOT the guy I was talking about. IF I even remember any of that correctly. But he's definitely still around...sometimes. And he does claim to have done this on his 3VZ-E.

aa1911

Last Activity: 07-06-2013 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by aa1911
I love 'em, I have 3 x 'stage II universal kits' that include 2 injector nozzles, sureflo pump, connections/check valve, tubing, progressive controller, fuse and for a little more I got a 2.5 gal tank to go with it.

I run 50/50 mix of dH2O and methanol. I seriously don't know why more people don't use water/alcohol injection, it has nothing but advantages. I get MUCH better gas mileage and a really good dose of extra power (like 15% more). plus on my forced induction, I reduce the chances of detonation although not an issue at 8psi really since I have the fuel mods.

total, each kit costs less than $400 and for the cost of methanol ($6/gal), I more than pay for it in extra fuel economy so other than the initial setup, it's not hard on the wallet. maintenance is pretty easy too

there are something like 20 plus companies selling injection kits, aquamist is very popular as is AEM and a few others. Devil's Own (alcoholinjection.com) has the best bang for your buck in my opinion. many kits run upwards of $1k and offer very few extras over Devil's owns' kits. you can buy vehicle specific kits but the universals will fit on any vehicle.

did I mention I love these kits?? BUY ONE! you'll love it, I promise. if not, come over and beat me up, they really do work well. cleans your engine too (the water)

as for the EGR, I know a lot of folks delete it without any issues but after reading around on it convinced I should do it, I finally decided that it stays. I HATE EGR with a passion, so glad I don't have it on my taco; I cleaned my intake plenum at 150k and it was DISGUSTING!!! full of about a pound of carbon, blahh... what a worthless system.
Originally Posted by aa1911
http://www.alcohol-injection.com/vol...age-2-352.html

this is what I have in my taco and my 4runner. I have another kit NIB for my buddy who I suckered in

I run a 5gph nozzle in my taco and a 2gph in the 3.slow, about 3" pre-TB

yeah baby...
Again, IIRC, the guy who chimed in with the +90 HP claim was a rather unknown/unpopular/highly infrequent/innumerous poster. I kinda remember thinking "who the hell is this guy?", and "where the hell did he come from all the sudden?", and "can he possibly be serious?".

EDIT: I think I meant to say unnumerous. If that's even a word? If not, substitute adjective of your choice. So long as it means "not very many", or "very few".

Last edited by MudHippy; 08-17-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:22 PM

Yeah, I tried PM'ing him with no response, seems like he's not on anymore. Thanks for checking though.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've tried meth injection on naturally aspirated engines and have only lost power with it.

Problem is, to inject enough to see much cooling your air fuel ratio becomes extremely rich.

If you could somehow lean out the main fueling then make up for it with the meth injection, ending up at the original air/fuel ratio, you -might- pick up a slight amount of power.

90hp? Maybe with enough nitrous but certainly not methanol.

IMO this is only worth pursuing if you have forced induction.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:14 PM

Hmmmm....

Seems to me that, in NA engines particularly, you'd be more apt to see beneficial results due to the increase in octane. Rather than any potential decrease in intake air/fuel temps. Since most engines(NA or not), can and will perform better when fed higher octane(than pump gas) fuel. With, or without, additional tuning.

In comparison to N2O? What comparison is there really? A 100 shot of nitrous will net you ~ +100 HP(at the flywheel). Pretty much a given. Not a whole lot of "maybe" to it...so far as I know. Unless by "maybe" you mean "maybe a 100 shot of nitrous will cause my engine to self-destruct". Because, that indeed, MAY BE the case.

Last edited by MudHippy; 08-17-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:31 PM

I think the point of whether or not it'll work depends on whether the ECU will compensate for the increase octane through the water and methanol. If it does, then it'll be great! If it doesn't... well...

I'm planning on doing an IAT mod as well. Because it can't tell there's cooler air entering, it won't compensate and think it's hot. I'll increase the ohms enough for it to read about 70 degrees, hoping that'll do the trick.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
resurrecting this old thread I missed long ago!

I for sure don't believe anyone who claims 90hp on the VZee with just alky injection but it does help out, mostly with mpg's, a little with power, a lot with keeping the engine clean.

Still a huge fan of methanol injection all around, running it still on a 3vz and a SC'd 5vz and both getting me improved MPG's and although it's not much more power on the veezee, it was very noticeable on the 5vz even pre-SC, I couldn't get off the throttle it was that fun.
(10% or whatever gains on next to nothing is still next to nothing but anything helps the 3.slow)

Stock ECU can certainly handle the average methanol kit with reasonable sized nozzles (and probably bigger nozzles as well.)

TexasAce on here is the resident alky injection expert I believe, he's done some excellent write ups and DIY systems, etc etc, delving much deeper on this than I. Alky injection is a great addition for all the many reasons, just cracked open my second 55 gallon drum of methanol; I don't even play around with 10 gal at a time anymore, my Toyotas are addicted to meth by the drum!!!

At almost $10/gal at the shops now, I can still get a drum for about $3.50/gal all day long at the local racetrack.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I spray 100% methanol as the added fuel in a turbocharged application. 2 nozzles totaling 22gpm, progressively sprayed when in boost. Yeah I use a fair bit as well. $5/gal here or $2.50/gal drum.