86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

MegaSquirt

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MegaSquirt

Does anyone have any experience with these systems? I'm sure some of you have read about my 3VZ build-up........I am going to be using a MegaSquirt system with a Ford EDIS ignition. I have read almost everything on the MS site and went to order my system tonight but I'm not sure what I need. There is a MS1 and MS2 system and from what I can tell the only difference is processor speed. I doubt that I need to spend the extra money for the faster processor for a simple build-up like this. At most my project will be supercharged in about a year or so running 9psi boost and possibly 1-2 extra injectors.

OK, now it's starting to sound a bit complicatied, but it isn't really. Does anyone have experience with these? Please post ASAP so I can get this thing ordered and working on it. I start school again on 2 Jan
Old 12-29-2006, 02:08 AM

If you have aim you should IM piercedwinky. Tell him Russell with the toyota truck said hit him up. He can build the boards and answer questions.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I highly recommend diyautotune. I've used 2 other vendors/assemblers and neither one got it right. This is a setup that can be really messed up if a single component (out of hundreds) is off.

The hardware difference between MS1 and MS2 is the processor as well as software configuration. Basically MS1 MSnSE (Mega Squirt and Spark Extra) and MS-II do the same basic things. Usage is split pretty evenly between the two, I use MSnSE myself. Right now, I can't think of any huge advantages to going to MS-2.. Eventually there will be some, but right now, I think you're fine with MSnSe.

I got your PM and you're going to be doing EDIS. I think that's the right way to go. Ask for a vendor that can build you MS-I, V3, MSnSE, setup for EDIS... Again, I recommended diyautotune - but if you use someone else make sure they'll give you an *unconditional* guarantee/refund.

I can help you wire it into your existing harness, if that's how you choose to do it. The hard part is spark and EDIS makes that a lot easier.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ummm.. the MS1 is only a fuel controller, the MS2 supports ignition as well. You can add the SE to the MS1, but having it all on the same board is cleaner.

Like DCG says, setting up an MS system can be tricky and TIME CONSUMING as all get-out.

Have fun!
Old 12-29-2006, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by midiwall
Ummm.. the MS1 is only a fuel controller, the MS2 supports ignition as well. You can add the SE to the MS1, but having it all on the same board is cleaner.

Like DCG says, setting up an MS system can be tricky and TIME CONSUMING as all get-out.

Have fun!
MS1 supports spark as well with the MSnSE software.. There's no hardware to upgrade. The latest versions of MS1 and MS2 use the same board, only different processors. You no longer need additional hardware to drive low impedance injectors, etc... Very little difference in functionality between the two. If you ever need to upgrade, it's a simple processor replacement.

You'll have a leg up on the setup if you want to fully integrate it with your existing wiring, as I've done it with the 22RE and the ECU functions are largely the same. I haven't done EDIS, but it's pretty well documented. I can't help you build it, however.. and I don't attempt it myself.

Last edited by dcg9381; 12-29-2006 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dcg9381
MS1 supports spark as well with the MSnSE software.. There's no hardware to upgrade. The latest versions of MS1 and MS2 use the same board, only different processors.
oop... After wandering the forums, I can now say that I was wrong. Something changed when I wasn't looking - thanks for the smack on the chin!
Old 12-29-2006, 06:37 PM

No smack.. It's hard to keep up with all.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:17 AM

The MS II can control some different sensors (GM IAC) and some other slight differences. First figure out what you are going to use for all your sensors and ignition set-up then purchase your system. If you end up with a MS I which CAN control a Ford IAC (pulsewidth motor) or a FIDLE valve which is basically what Toyota uses along with fuel pressure control valves to maintain idle, you would want to stick with a version 3.0 board, which can be upgraded later fairly easy. I don't see why you would need an extra...or two injectors on a 9 PSI supercharger set-up, if using the MS you should be able to maintain a good AFR with fuel pressure increase by boost reference, and opening up the stock injectors with the MS. I personally have seen a 3.0 on the dyno turbocharged that ran up to 7 PSI with stock injectors, fuel pressure increase and stock ECU maintaining a 11.7 AFR. In my opinion, swapping the 6 stock injectors for slightly larger ones would be much easier and less time consuming (obviously) than trying to have the MS fire 8 injectors on a 6 cylinder, it could be done.......but why?

Later
Old 12-30-2006, 05:34 PM

Wow, Alot of responses in the time that I haven't been on here. I am at my parents house for the weekend. I went to the salvage yard today and picked up my EDIS-6 system out of a Mazda Navajo (Same as an Explorer). Someone snagged the ignition coils before I got to it though. I think I might be better off with a new set anyway.

I posted on the MS board and talked to the guy at DIY. I am planning to get the MS1 v.3.0 with the MSnSE. This seems like all I will need to make everything work.

dcg9381- I would actually be very interested in getting some help on the harness. I was thinking that this would be the best and cleanest way to wire everything up. Initially, I was going to rewire everything, but I actually read about your 22R harness and decided to go that way instead.

I'll drop you a line when I get everything at this house. I'll be ordering the MS system this week now that I am 100% confident in what I'm buying.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:57 PM

I know you're going to be using the megasquirt for the 3vz but theres a sticky on supraforums.com under the mkIII section which has a walk-through with pictures on how to set up the megasuirt for the 7mgte. It might give you some insight on your own application. Hope it helps!
Old 01-02-2007, 07:15 PM

[/Hijack on]

Hey Dan, I see you're in Middle TN, maybe when you get your rig together you could get together with the rest of us and do some wheelin'.

[/Hijack off]

Some good tech, BTW!
Old 01-02-2007, 08:13 PM

pics

i would be interested to see some pics of your 4runner because im thinking about running the same suspension set up thanks.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Dan_90SR5

dcg9381- I would actually be very interested in getting some help on the harness. I was thinking that this would be the best and cleanest way to wire everything up. Initially, I was going to rewire everything, but I actually read about your 22R harness and decided to go that way instead.

I'll drop you a line when I get everything at this house. I'll be ordering the MS system this week now that I am 100% confident in what I'm buying.

Dan, who are you ordering MS from?

I'm happy to help you as best I'm able.. I think you'll be fine as you're using EDIS, which makes the ignition side a lot easier.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:30 PM

dcg9381- I am going to be ordering my MS1 v.3.0 MSnSE this week from DIY. I'm still trying to get someone to measure the cam gears on a 3VZ-FE for me. The 2VZ timing cover that I go isn't going to work. It was a gamble. I want to be sure before I order the 3VZ-FE one from Toyota.

mudrunner61- PM me your email address and I'll take some pics to send you. The Runner is in the garage with a mattress on top of it right now....should make for some nice pics, lol. Also, it still has 31" tires on it so they look like skateboard wheel on it.

all_terrain17- I'm actually in E. TN now, but get out to Mid TN alot because my parents still live there. You guys could make a trip up here too. Lots of wheeling out this way. Where do you wheel in Mid TN?

mfxsupervillain- I'll check that out, but I'm hoping between talking to dcg9381 and looking at wiring specs I can figure it out. We have a GM ignition model at school that might help with the EDIS system.....they are very similar.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Contributing Member

dan and AT17- i know its off topic (Sorry) You ever get a ride together give me a shout. Im only 30 miles west of nashville
Old 01-03-2007, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by gilby4runner
dan and AT17- i know its off topic (Sorry) You ever get a ride together give me a shout. Im only 30 miles west of nashville
Where do you live? Dickson? My parents live pretty close to there. We'll definately have to go wheeling sometime. I just need to get this 4Runner done.......though my stock Tacoma has done well for me the few times that I've wheeled it.