Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
MC Front bumper on a 3rd Gen PU

http://www.marlincrawler.com/armor/front-bumper

Anybody got one?

How do you like it?

I'm looking at geting one for my 91, and I can't decide with or without the stinger I don't really need the stinger, and it'll save me some $$$ without it, but I'm kida curious to what it would look like installed without the stinger, cause MC's web site just has a "No Photo Available" on the link for without the stinger...

Anyone have any pics?

Thanks guys and gals!

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 01-03-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:19 PM
BMC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This guy has quite a few pics in his buildup thread with a MC front bumper with stinger.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post50942372
Old 01-03-2009, 03:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I still can't figure out all the gen1 gen2 gen3 things but I have one on my 86, no stinger, and love it. The only thing I didn't like was the mounting. I had to rat hole most of the holes to get it to line up and the tech I called about it told me that my truck has probably been tweaked due to off roading. It hadn't been off the pavement until I bought it..... Other than that it's a great bumper.

I hope that helped a little.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:53 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkers88
I still can't figure out all the gen1 gen2 gen3 things but I have one on my 86, no stinger, and love it.
1st gen pickup is 79-83
2nd gen pickup is 84-88
3rd gen pickup 89-95

1st gen 4runner 84-89
2nd gen 4runner 90-95

You have a 1st gen runner, each generation is a new body style.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BMC
This guy has quite a few pics in his buildup thread with a MC front bumper with stinger.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post50942372
That's pretty much exactly what I was looking for!

Gives me a good size-prospective on the bumper on the truck, and I think I'm going to decide against the stinger. It's just sits up too high for my taste, being it's going to go on a daily driver and all.

Not too sure about the Rhino paint job; gloss black would suffice for me but seeing that he's got the clear corners and turn signals the same as I do, that's pretty darn close to my rig! minus the SAS in the end

I think the only downfall to getting the bumper will be the snowball in spending it'll start... I'll install the bumper, then I'll have to get a rear bumper to match, then I'll have to get some sliders, and then I'll have to get a winch to go on the bumper... oh boy, here we go

Thanks man!

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 01-03-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member

I still can't figure out all the gen1 gen2 gen3 things but I have one on my 86, no stinger, and love it. The only thing I didn't like was the mounting. I had to rat hole most of the holes to get it to line up and the tech I called about it told me that my truck has probably been tweaked due to off roading. It hadn't been off the pavement until I bought it..... Other than that it's a great bumper.

I hope that helped a little.
do you have any good sized pics of yours?

thanks buddy!
Old 01-03-2009, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by toylocost
1st gen pickup is 79-83
2nd gen pickup is 84-88
3rd gen pickup 89-95

1st gen 4runner 84-89
2nd gen 4runner 90-95

You have a 1st gen runner, each generation is a new body style.
Oh sorry, mine is a pickup. So I have a second generation truck. Thank you so much for the update. I had no idea.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
do you have any good sized pics of yours?

thanks buddy!
I'll try to take some thsi weekend. I don't have any right now.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

I'll try to take some thsi weekend. I don't have any right now.
ok, thanks man, that would be awesome!

does yours have the receiver-hitch on it?

the one's I'm finding pictures of have them, but it's not pictured on the bumper on MC's site

I guess I'd also have to figure out a way to mount my lights too... hmmmm...

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 01-03-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:15 PM
Contributing Member

well I stumble accross this little thread

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...bumper-140874/

I must say, I like what I see!

My only is about that bolt hole that doesn't line up. Anyone else have experience with this?

Anyone have any pictures or tips on mounting lights to these bar-syle bumpers like this? The best thing I can think of to do is to just weld some tabs to it before painting it...

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 01-05-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:47 PM
BMC

My only is about that bolt hole that doesn't line up. Anyone else have experience with this?

I have heard a number of people say the holes dont line up at all. I dont want to discourage you from buying it but when i was doing bumper research it sounded like a lot of people had trouble with it.

Now im not against MC as i have their rear bumper and i love it.

I do have a front all-pro bumper and to be honest with you i test fitted that bumper by myself and had it bolted to my truck in about three minutes. It had to be one of the easiest things ive ever indtalled on my truck. The bolt holes all lined up perfectly. Just my .02 cents.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:02 PM

Wow, it feels good to have your build referenced in another persons thread!!

Yeah I have the problem with the bolt holes too, I think I stripped one out, and the other will fit with some tugging!

All in all, Its a good bumper, in the truck you only see about 2-3 inches of the stinger. Have got nothing but compliments on the welds too!!

Mine has the reciever hitch by the way!

Last edited by 1989toy4wd; 01-04-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 1989toy4wd
Wow, it feels good to have your build referenced in another persons thread!!

Yeah I have the problem with the bolt holes too, I think I stripped one out, and the other will fit with some tugging!

All in all, Its a good bumper, in the truck you only see about 2-3 inches of the stinger. Have got nothing but compliments on the welds too!!

Mine has the reciever hitch by the way!
haha, why yes it does, though I think I've only had it happen once before (to my knowlege)

Sence you've chimed in, I have a question for ya

in this pic here:

What I've circled, is that just a portion of the inner fender that becomes visable once you remove the bumper?

If so, that's a quick and easy fix; I'll just snip that off there
Old 01-05-2009, 01:34 PM

These are the only two I have that show the bumper, and of course it's on a 2nd gen....... HTH. Oh and just an FYI the front is a complete PITA to get on. Only one of the bolts lined up and the tech guy I called was an @$$.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:39 PM
Contributing Member

Only one of the bolts lined up...
so your bumper is held on by one bolt haha, jk. How did you fix that, just drill new holes, or was there an easier fix?

Looks really good though man, thanks!

I have an off-topic question for you too. Is this your daily driver? How do the Tread-Write's treat you on the road?

Thanks buddy!
Old 01-05-2009, 01:49 PM

so your bumper is held on by one bolt haha, jk. How did you fix that, just drill new holes, or was there an easier fix?

Looks really good though man, thanks!

I have an off-topic question for you too. Is this your daily driver? How do the Tread-Write's treat you on the road?

Thanks buddy!
*laugh* No all the bolts are there and in retrospect I think like three of them actually went in with no mods. The rest of them had the holes enlarged via a rat tailed file and some elbow grease.

Yes it is my DD. The TR's are great on the road, wonderfull in shallow mud, OUTSTANDING on rocks with a little air down and TERRIBLE in the ice. Once they get packed full of ice and snow offroad they turn into slicks. I did a run yesterday up into the mountains and got stopped on a little hill climb twice once the tires were full, even with the locker I wasn't going anywhere.

Here is a linky to the run that Robb and I made.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f15/...an-4th-162952/

The first picture of my truck is when I was backing down after being stopped a second time. In that picture there is a tree to the left of my rig that I had slid backwards into. That was a fun time getting back up the trail far enough to get around the tree and then back down past it.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Contributing Member

*laugh* No all the bolts are there and in retrospect I think like three of them actually went in with no mods. The rest of them had the holes enlarged via a rat tailed file and some elbow grease.

Yes it is my DD. The TR's are great on the road, wonderfull in shallow mud, OUTSTANDING on rocks with a little air down and TERRIBLE in the ice. Once they get packed full of ice and snow offroad they turn into slicks. I did a run yesterday up into the mountains and got stopped on a little hill climb twice once the tires were full, even with the locker I wasn't going anywhere.

Here is a linky to the run that Robb and I made.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f15/...an-4th-162952/

The first picture of my truck is when I was backing down after being stopped a second time. In that picture there is a tree to the left of my rig that I had slid backwards into. That was a fun time getting back up the trail far enough to get around the tree and then back down past it.
Oh well that's cool; I don't mind that little bit off work. Afterall, it is aftermarket, so I wouldn't entirely expect it to be a complete bolt on. A little filing is no problem for me.

And here in Fl, well I don't have to worry about snow and ice too much . I've been considering their Wrangler MTR molded re-treads. There a ton cheaper than new ones, lol.

Yeah I stumbled onto your thread there after posting about out local New-Year's thing and I posted an event in the same section.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:11 PM

Yeah I stumbled onto your thread there after posting about out local New-Year's thing and I posted an event in the same section.
Yeah I read that and looked at the pictures. WAY too many people for my liking. I love mud and REALLY REALLY like to drink but have learned that beer and off road don't go hand in hand, usually with that many folks there are a few "dingbats" that drink and wheel. I prefer smaller groups. Looks like it was a blast though.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah I read that and looked at the pictures. WAY too many people for my liking. I love mud and REALLY REALLY like to drink but have learned that beer and off road don't go hand in hand, usually with that many folks there are a few "dingbats" that drink and wheel. I prefer smaller groups. Looks like it was a blast though.
yeah, that's why I didn't stay too long. I got out there at about 10am, and left at about 3pm. It was WAY too crowded for me. I don't drink when I go wheeling either (I rarely drink at all), so I just had a cooler of ice and an 8 pack of Gatorade