Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Problems by Symptom
Print Wikipost

Major loss of power, truck wont go faster than 30mph

Old 12-06-2008, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Major loss of power, truck wont go faster than 30mph

Let me start this off by saying I've searched and read alot here, but I need specific help as I cant afford to replace a bunch of different things, and I only have 20 days before I drive from Wisconsin to California so I'm kind of in a rush.

The truck is a 1991 pickup, 22re, 5 speed.

It just started snowing here, on the way to work the other day I noticed a slight loss in power, when I parked the truck started shaking and dying. I was almost out of gas so when I left work I filled it up half way. On the way home I had a big power loss, the truck wouldnt go faster than 50mph. It ran smooth, just weak. Except when I stopped at lights, it felt like it was idling really rough.

Now it wont go faster than 30. And it takes a long time to get there. Sort of feels like when I give it full throttle it doesnt accelerate at all, I have to give it 1/4 for it to accelerate.

When I first start it, it feels like it runs ok for the first minute, and then it gets really weak. Sometimes it'll still get up to 50 even after driving for a while. But it never has full power (except when its first started).

Also in the past it has had a rough idle on occasion, I believe on rainy days. But it has never run poorly before now. I replaced the distributor cap and rotor, didnt change anything.

What should I look at first? I'd like to avoid fixing random things and just hope it works.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check the throttle body. It might be gunked up and suffocating your engine. You can clean it for cheap or free if it is all dirty.

Also, how clean is your air filter? Have you changed it at regular intervals?
Old 12-06-2008, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by DupermanDave
Check the throttle body. It might be gunked up and suffocating your engine. You can clean it for cheap or free if it is all dirty.

Also, how clean is your air filter? Have you changed it at regular intervals?
I'll check that out today, dont know about the air filter, I bought this truck in Spring but havent really put any miles on until now since I ride my motorcycle until its too cold.

I assumed it was a mosture related issue with the snow.

Last edited by joshua; 12-06-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's unlikely an air filter would cause that much loss, that quickly.

Check plugs and wires. You may have a split boot or cracked wire that's causing you to ground out the power to your plugs. If it's brought on by moisture, that could be the culprit.

Check any and all ground leads from the block to the frame. Check your fuel filter.

That's where I'd start.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:34 PM

getting a check engine light? pull codes and post them.
otherwise
may be condensation in the distributor
may be fuel filter
may be contaminated fuel: condensation in the tank is more likely to occur when it starts getting cold, and I'm not just talking your fuel tank: the storage tanks at the gas stations as well suffer from this. Maybe try a pint or two of isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) in the tank (cheaper than heet) to emulsify any water and get it out of your fuel tank.
may be coolant temp sensor (the green one on front of the intake manifold, below the thermostat outlet piping)
may be the cold start time switch or injector
may be a failing ignition coil

lot's of things possible. Start with a basic tune up- should do it anyways if it hasn't been done recently... and you're looking at a long trip to California soon too. then the alcohol in the fuel tank. if that don't help, change the fuel filter. then start checking the sensors.

Last edited by abecedarian; 12-06-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:49 PM

just cleaned my throttle body, still no go.

i'll start checking what was listed above.

thanks guys.

its just so wierd that it runs great, i'll stop at a light and my idle will drop and everything turns to .
Old 12-06-2008, 06:45 PM

Well I just pulled my TPS as recommended to someone in another thread, that seems to have fixed it.

Should I replace it, or can I run without it?
Old 12-06-2008, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by joshua
Well I just pulled my TPS as recommended to someone in another thread, that seems to have fixed it.

Should I replace it, or can I run without it?
I'm running without mine. I unplugged it last sunday because I was having some really rough idling and a surging idle. I havent had anything wrong since i've unplugged it. Check engine light is on, but other than that everything still works fine.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by DupermanDave
I'm running without mine. I unplugged it last sunday because I was having some really rough idling and a surging idle. I havent had anything wrong since i've unplugged it. Check engine light is on, but other than that everything still works fine.
my check engine light hasnt turned on. a new sensor at NAPA is $110, i think i'll pass.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:56 PM

running without the throttle position sensor WILL cause other problems.
If you choose to do so, DO NOT expect people here to help you fix the problems.

you CANNOT set timing without the TPS working
you CANNOT set idle speed without the TPS working

the ball is in your court... doesn't mean we have to hit it back.

Last edited by abecedarian; 12-06-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
were in WI are you im in milwaukee if your close i could help out as i have a 22re to test parts to see whats wrong with yours!!
Old 12-07-2008, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by joshua
my check engine light hasnt turned on. a new sensor at NAPA is $110, i think i'll pass.
I saw some on ebay for $10 to $35. I'd still say replace it. The only reason I have mine unplugged at the moment is because the weather won't allow me to work on the truck, and I also don't have a place (other than my parent's) to work on it, and I have shortened hours at work this month, so I don't have the funds. As soon as January comes and I have the funds, I'm definitely buying a new one, but won't install it until the snow goes away.

It may not be a vital piece for your truck to run, but if this goes bad and causes other things to fail, it will be so much easier in the future to troubleshoot a problem when everyone knows the parts on your truck are 100% functional.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:07 AM

You may want to check some wrecking yards for that throttle position sensor.

Edit If you want one cheaper I would go with one from a wrecking yard.

Last edited by small town BIG TOYS; 12-07-2008 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:57 AM

Well I tried to take one out of my 89 V6 4Runner, but the connectors werent the same. When I tried to reinstall it in the 4runner I couldnt get it running right. It cuts out completely at times.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
running without the throttle position sensor WILL cause other problems.
If you choose to do so, DO NOT expect people here to help you fix the problems.

you CANNOT set timing without the TPS working
you CANNOT set idle speed without the TPS working

the ball is in your court... doesn't mean we have to hit it back.
What kind of other problems can I expect? I'm running out of time, and I'd gladly replace it now but I'm worried about what happened when trying to reinstall the sensor into my other truck.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:02 AM

i have a 92 4runner automatic, v6. i am having the same problems. My truck would go to about 10-15 mph and the rmp's would just stay at around 2000 and wouldnt go pass that. i unplugged mt tps and that sure did make a hell of a difference. I concluded that mine is bad, so a new one is key. Thanks for the post!!
Old 11-30-2014, 07:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Servicing a TPS is easy. See the link in my signature

Chances are, the plastic rotating feeler is gummed up from the cold weather. Fill ithe TPS with WD40 and rotate the feeler back and forth before taking it apart. Then once you have it apart, gently clean the wiper areas with a soft cloth like a t shirt.

I would definitely not recommend running your truck with no TPS. It's one of those crucial sensors that the engine depends upon for proper operation and especially efficiency.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:34 AM

Thank Jenny. I will pull it off and see what i can do. I saw that you said it needs to be calibrated pretty sharply, does this mean i cant just order a new one and install it? Or was that in reference to trying to fix the original one. Thanks!
Old 12-02-2014, 11:41 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 924runner17
Thank Jenny. I will pull it off and see what i can do. I saw that you said it needs to be calibrated pretty sharply, does this mean i cant just order a new one and install it? Or was that in reference to trying to fix the original one. Thanks!
You can definitely order a new one, that is the sure-fire way. Just if you do, only go with Denso. The ones from Autozone etc are usually out of spec. Worthless

By calibration, I mean when you are installing it back on the car- regardless of diy-reman or new. You have to get it set at just the right angle, and it requires a feeler gauge if you wanna do it right the first time
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml
Old 12-04-2014, 12:59 PM

Put the new one on, same thing happening. Here is a link if you would like to see it first hand. (
) In the video that is constant throttle in park, yet it does the same in drive. If the TPS is unplugged it will rev until it red-lines. at this point i am at a loss. If you have even the slighest idea to what it may be, anything helps. Just want to get my baby back on the road!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Major loss of power, truck wont go faster than 30mph