Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Maintenance questions for 1st Gen (Help please!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 06:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maintenance questions for 1st Gen (Help please!!!)

I know i've been posting a bunch of new threads lately, but I want to make sure I get it right before I dump $500-$600 bucks into something I may or may not need.

Questions:
1) I have a former California 4Runner. Has never thrown a code for the o2 sensor, however going through the PO's receipts I've never came across a receipt for a new O2 sensor. I know there are multiple threads but they are somewhat inconclusive as to whether or not you get a CEL if the sensor is bad. Can you have a bad O2 sensor and not get a code? This is a big one for me as I don't want to drop $100 bucks for something I don't need. I get about 14 mpg mostly in town driving so I'm not sure if it needs replaced.

2) Plugs and Plug wires, and all belts, all have only 20000-25000 miles on them. HOWEVER they are now over 36 months old. Should I replace them?

3) The tranny flush question, this one has me nervous. I can't find anything in the receipts about a Transmission flush in the past. I have NO problems with the transmission currently and I hate to invest $105 in a flush and have my Transmission go bad. What do you think? (again I know there are a multitude of threads on this topic but I'm looking for some personal affirmation here)

4) Repacking wheel bearings. Never seen a receipt for this either from the PO. Is this something most mechanics are capable of doing easily?

5) fuel filter is "supposed" to be lifetime w/out maintenance. I was considering replacing it and was quote $27 for a new one. Should I do this as well?

All this being said I do mostly in town driving which would put me in the severe catagory in terms of maintenance schedule.

Let me know your thoughts. As always I am grateful for your input and suggestions. It helps me out tremendously

Last edited by gohawks; 07-07-2005 at 06:37 AM.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:58 PM

Received 637 Likes on 513 Posts
1) No. If your O2 sensor fails you should get a code for it. They should be replaced every 60k miles in any event. A little money spent now can be a small price to pay for insurance against a costly repair later.
2) YES!! Your plug wires and plugs MAY be ok, but not the belts and hoses. Replace them asap. Same reasoning as in answer #1...The dist cap and rotor too. I change mine every 10k. You chan check your plug wires pretty easliy: Open the hood at night, with the engine running, and all the outside lights off, and look for purple lightning crawling around the wires or jumping from the wires to the engine. Dead giveaway for a bad wire. Plugs can be checked visually. If they are crudded up and or the ground electrode (the one going up and over) or the positive electrode are eroded away, replace them. I use Bosch platinum +4's and get about 100k mi out of them, as well as a noticable power improvement, and they never seem to need cleaning. They're a little pricey, but they cast less per mile run that OEM ones do.
3) Invest the money now. Once again, cheap insurance against an expensive repair cost!
4) You can do it yourself fairly easily, or a mechanic can easily too. The FSM has a excellent how-to on this. There's a scheduled interval for this. I believe it's 30kmi, but may be wrong.
5) No such thing as a "lifetime" fuel filter. My '87 'Runner (22RE) FSM spec's that the fuel filter be replaced every 40k. My p/u (a 22R) get's a new one every 10k. May as well replace it. Not that expensive.

And When was the last time the cooling system was flushed, and the coolant replaced? The thermostat changed? When was the last oil/oil filter change?

Hope all my rambling helps a little bit
Old 07-08-2005, 06:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you. It helped a ton.

I was definately having the coolant flushed no matter what. Also was going to change the differential and transfer fluids for sure as well.

Oil & filter is up to date

I forgot about the hoses..DOH!! Which should I be replacing??

Also hadn't considered the thermostat guess I might want to do that as well.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:39 PM

Received 637 Likes on 513 Posts
The three water hoses are the ones to worry about. There's the top, the bottom, and the one entering the water pump from the jumper tube between the bottom hose and the water pump. As long as you'r having the coolant and hoses done, this is an excellent time to get the t-stat done as well. Why take a chance? Preventative maintennance is a lot cheaper and easier than repair manit.
I do my belts and hoses every other year, and that includes t-stat and coolant. I've got the system drained any way, why not? And down here, the heat and sun destroy rubber fast.

Glad I could help a little. Good luck, and may you drive your Toy a long and easy road