86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

MAF Troubles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAF Troubles?

Hello, this is my first post on this forum after lurking for months, but i've finally run into an issue with my 94' V6 4runner.

Basically, I decided to take apart my airbox and MAF and decided to clean it. Well, I got a little carried away and stupidly unscrewed the part on my Airflow meter and pulled apart the cheap tin solder from the circuit board....while my ignition was still turned on. Now my 4runner will not stay running. It will basically start, then promptly die a second or two later.

After lots of strenuous research on the part, I resoldered the connectors back on, since I have lots of experience soldering from fixing computers. Unfortunately, that seems to have not fixed anything, which leads me to believe that I may have blown a relay or something. Makes sense, since I learned that the engine will cut itself off when there is a "malfunction" with the electrical system.

When I turn my ignition on, it makes three clicking noises, which I know for a fact didn't occur before i ˟˟˟˟˟ed with the MAF.

Any ideas on what my problem may be? I really don't want to have to take this to a mechanic.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:43 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

First Welcome to Yoto Tech!!

Lets hope this is a fairly cheap lesson learned if poking into the electrical system blind disconnect your negative battery cables.

Lets us indeed hope your lucky!!

First check for open fuses if you have not all ready done so.

Since you were in the AFM because your engine should not have a MAF sensor but being a Toyota Who can say.

when you pulled this apart while it was energized it can cause system voltage to go to either the Circuit Opening Relay or the ECM lets hope your luck was good.

Time to break out the meter and do some trouble shooting!!!

Unless what ever mechanic you use lives and breathes These vehicles it will be so very expensive .

Good Luck!!!
Old 01-12-2015, 06:32 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Lots of experience fixing computers, and you pulled the connector right out of the printed circuit board? Well, let's all be a little more careful now ....

Start with the manual. http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...33volumeai.pdf You have a "VAF" (Vane Airflow Meter); it is "an" AFM but it helps everyone if you use the right names (it is NOT an MAF; that's a different technology).

You've broken the Fc circuit. That tells the COR that the engine is pulling air, and keeps the fuel pump running (the fuel pump starts with the STA signal, the VAF keeps it running). The purpose of that circuit is to assure the fuel pump shuts off if you get into an accident that breaks a fuel line.

Good luck, and use a lighter touch in the future.