86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

LSD front - steering at higher speeds

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LSD front - steering at higher speeds

i currently have a LockRight front in my '89 Rnr.
E-locked rear (that is wort hevery penny FTW)
Love teh traction offroad, but steering can be tricky for sure at any speed.

i'm now using thsi vehicle for not just regular trail-riding but also offroad racing (ECORS). It was clear after the last race that the Lockright has to go - making a quick, tight turn is pretty much impossible unless you can power-slide the rear around or are well-prepared enough to coast through it. Lots of fighting teh steering, found myself popping into 2wd just to get it back.

Anyway, I'd like to hear feedback from those of you w/ LSD fronts on how it affects your steering, NOT street driving (b/c it's be off anyway) or crawling, but if you were driving at some speed offroad. Or did it at all?
The option here is (1) LSD or (2) open.

(Oh and this means of course there will be a 5.29 IFS w/ LR and extended breather chunk up for grabs soon...)
Old 02-11-2010, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
really, man?!

ugh, go with the LSD front. I'd think for racing you'd want all the traction you could get. TrueTrac would be a good one to use. I also have a link in my sig that will help you...
Old 02-11-2010, 06:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You might look into a TruTrak.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member

TrueTrac...
Old 02-11-2010, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
really, man?!

ugh, go with the LSD front. I'd think for racing you'd want all the traction you could get. TrueTrac would be a good one to use. I also have a link in my sig that will help you...
um, yes, really...?

Traction = important.
Steering = critical.

If i get one, will likely be TruTrac, I had a rear unit before the E-locker and loved it.
I just want to know if there is any effect on steering.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Contributing Member

steering, um not really...I did search BEFORE I posted that opinion though...
Old 02-12-2010, 07:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
hes not worried just about traction hes also worried about steering control, if you could fund it i would get either an E locker or ARB and either you (or if you have partner) can switch it on and off through the turns off right b4 and on half way through, seen it done and it works...especially if you have a high HP motor, with all 4 wheels digin it just goes, i cant speak for a LSD like tru track or aussie, i would think it would end up poping out at the wrong time, at least with crawling/ trail riding not so critical back up a couple times and it locks back in...also...lets see some pics of this here trail rig
Old 02-12-2010, 08:42 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
I have a TrueTrac front and rear and have noticed that steering control is fine in 4WD at higher speeds (meaning up to 25mph on windy dirt roads).

Since you're asking about the feel of an LSD the best information will come from driving one. Used ones pop up on occasion too and aren't that pricey ($200 - $400 for entire front diff).
Old 02-12-2010, 09:04 AM
Contributing Member

I had a Tru-trac in the front of my 90 4Runner. As soon as I locked the hubs, the steering became a two handed mandatory adventure as it wanted to go straight. Slow trail riding was fine, but cruising down a dirt road or snow covered highway was not fun at all.

Like another post else said, if you can drive one with an LSD that'd be the best thing.

Good luck and enjoy racing!
Old 02-12-2010, 09:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was thinking about the trutrac in the front as well- that's out, thank you dusty98, is there a electric locker made for that app- 1990 4runner....
Old 02-12-2010, 11:37 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by yoterr
hes not worried just about traction hes also worried about steering control,

Yes, and that's SPECIFICALLY mentioned every time a Detroit turetrac is...
Old 02-12-2010, 11:39 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dfarr67
is there a electric locker made for that app- 1990 4runner....
Are you serious?
Old 02-12-2010, 08:15 PM

hes not worried just about traction hes also worried about steering control
Exactly, actually i'm much MORE worried about steering than traction, that's why I want to give up the LockRight I have in the front now.
Having to stop and back up b/c you overshot a turn, and fighting the steering the whole way (these are not straight trails) brings the suckage in a race.
if you could fund it i would get either an E locker or ARB and either you (or if you have partner) can switch it on and off through the turns off right b4 and on half way through, seen it done and it works...especially if you have a high HP motor, with all 4 wheels digin it just goes...also...lets see some pics of this here trail rig
Well, I'm running A-class ("stocker") so only allowed 1 locker max, I'd much rather have that in the rear; since I have the E-locker I'll just lock before starting and forget about it. That should provide more than enough traction for the course set up for this class.
ARB would be fly, I'd just leave it open for the races... but for the hefty price (>$1k installed) that $$ needs to be spent on a long arm kit instead, which will benefit me directly for that use.
Imagine a black runner on 33s, a few inches of lift, and a big "3.14d" logo on teh side. Nothin' fancy (yet).

I have searched on thsi quite a bit, besides many "I love it for my moderate wheeling" it seems the commonl complaints are traction, tire lifting etc - no shock there. Again, not my worry (esp once I get long-arms). The trails are not technically difficult, many run open-open.
Originally Posted by tried4x2signN
Yes, and that's SPECIFICALLY mentioned every time a Detroit turetrac is...
Never any comment about control at higher trail-riding speeds that I could find.
Originally Posted by BigBluePile
steering, um not really...I did search BEFORE I posted that opinion though...
Originally Posted by RustBucket
I have a TrueTrac front and rear and have noticed that steering control is fine in 4WD at higher speeds (meaning up to 25mph on windy dirt roads).

Since you're asking about the feel of an LSD the best information will come from driving one. Used ones pop up on occasion too and aren't that pricey ($200 - $400 for entire front diff).
So there's 2 votes for 'no problem"?
Unf, since I have 5.29s it's pretty rare to find that f/s already setup. But I'll keep looking!

Originally Posted by dusty98
I had a Tru-trac in the front of my 90 4Runner. As soon as I locked the hubs, the steering became a two handed mandatory adventure as it wanted to go straight. Slow trail riding was fine, but cruising down a dirt road or snow covered highway was not fun at all.
!
So, THAT sounds alot like my LockRight now. Actually w/ all the snow we just had here in MD, the traction was great but the main roads were aweful as soon as I had a slight turn. my rear TT didn't cause problems like that, but obviously that's alot less different action.
I wonder what the discrepancy is w/ the above?
Old 02-13-2010, 06:53 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
I just drove it last night up to 40mph in 4WD in the slush and snow. Definitely different than open up front, but not bad. The interesting thing is that it tends to pull you straight more with more throttle.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well here there is a ton of snow and ice- I live about 1hr out of town on a unimproved road- for the front- open diff most of the time- lock it when I need it. The rear TruTrac made a giant leap forward in traction, what's there to be serious about, this is everyday driving for me.