Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Ls1

Old 08-01-2017, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ls1

Is it a straight swap to drop a LS1/5.3L engine with an automatic 5 or 6 speed trans into a '95 forerunner(w/a blown 3.0 V6,5 speed manual)
Old 08-01-2017, 05:22 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Dynakev
Is it a straight swap to drop a LS1/5.3L engine with an automatic 5 or 6 speed trans into a '95 forerunner(w/a blown 3.0 V6,5 speed manual)
yep. As straight swapping any kinda motor into a vehicle it never came in. It's a simple as making motor mounts, cross members, driveshafts, modifying the firewall and core support, wiring it plumbing it cooling it adding clutch hydraulics. It's pretty straight forward stuff.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kolton5543
yep. As straight swapping any kinda motor into a vehicle it never came in. It's a simple as making motor mounts, cross members, driveshafts, modifying the firewall and core support, wiring it plumbing it cooling it adding clutch hydraulics. It's pretty straight forward stuff.
^^^^^ LOL

the OP noted Auto Trans, so no clutch hydraulics drama.
Actually - since the Toyota is already a hydraulic clutch, that MIGHT be sort of straight forward?

Getting a motor to fit with the IFS up front will be a huge challenge.
Either go 2WD (the cheapest / OEMish way - there are OEM block off parts for the front spindle if I recall)
or SAS

I think there are more FORD V8 components available - check to see what advanced adapters has.

Easier way to deal with 4WD is to go with an ATLAS case (not cheapest by a long shot)
Old 08-01-2017, 09:20 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Not an ls1 but I always liked this one https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...pdated-149841/ guy has some awesome fabrication skills.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:28 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
You got me. I misunderstood it as an automatic or a 5 or 6 speed manual.

Still though, any engine and transmission conversion will never be straight forward and plain simple. Sure it can be done but good luck on finding off the shelf parts and make it bolt in. V8s are hard to fit in these trucks. Most guys either cut out the firewall and set it back or cut out the radiator support and move the rad forward. The ls1 is a pretty compact v8 and can be fitted without retaining one of those two things but it's still gunna be tight. I don't know of any 5speed autos from GM but they do have the 6l80e. It should go in bit it's a bit of a physically large transmission so mods to the firewall or floor pan may still be necessary. I don't know if any adapters are available for it to mat to a toy t-case and I don't believe there are any passenger drip cases ever available with it. As mentioned, oil pan clearance will be tough especially with ifs. The ls1 has an aluminum pan with some important things casted into it. It won't be as simple as denting it to clear the diff or just fab your own from some sheet metal lying around. Almost all of them now days are drive by wire so be prepared to either find a cable throttle body and make a cable linkage or find away to make a drive by wire pedal. Of firewall mods are made brake line changes may be needed. Gotta get a radiator that will fit with what you got and you have to figure out how to plumb it. Fuel is usually pretty simple especially for return less. Just figure out a way to plumb it to the stock toy lines which are usually big enough for stockish v8s. Just use a gm pump in the toy sending unit. Electrical is going to be a difficult one. Most cars that came with ls1s and 6l80s have their electrical system pretty integrated with everything and removing one simple thing like the stereo not being there could make it not run right or set codes. Unless you run aftermarket harness/injection system it may be tricky.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:48 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It bet it will be interesting the merging of the 2 wiring harnesses .