Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Lowering Front Diff troubles

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lowering Front Diff troubles

I'm trying to lower the front diff enough to get to the oil pan bolts and pull the pan out. I can't get the passenger side to drop at all. I've taken the front mounting bolt for the diff out from the center support bar and removed that as well. I got the 2 mounting bolts above the drivers side out and also the 2 that are up on top on the passenger side. I can lower it down about 2-3 inches but the passenger side won't seperate from the bracket. Am I missing something here?
Old 04-10-2011, 11:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 86yota321
I'm trying to lower the front diff enough to get to the oil pan bolts and pull the pan out. I can't get the passenger side to drop at all. I've taken the front mounting bolt for the diff out from the center support bar and removed that as well. I got the 2 mounting bolts above the drivers side out and also the 2 that are up on top on the passenger side. I can lower it down about 2-3 inches but the passenger side won't seperate from the bracket. Am I missing something here?
Two mounting bolts on each side?? There should be one center mount in the cross brace at the front (you already go that one and the brace) then one on each side of the diff. Also don't forget the dozen or so holding the CV's in place on the shafts.

Best way to do it is pull the nuts holing the CV's, loosen the front one a tad so it'll pivot then pull the two holding the diff up. Oh and the front drive shaft. Then it should pivot down enough to let the drive flange rest on the ground (or jack if you want to use that to lower it).

Last edited by Junkers88; 04-10-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:26 AM

I printed out a thread from here and following that. Yes 2 bolts on drivers side right above where the axle shafts bolt together. I'll lookup that thread and link it so you can look at what I am and maybe it would make more sense than me trying to repeat it.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:28 AM

So here is what I'm following during this adventure
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/o...kup-how-14413/
Old 04-10-2011, 11:39 AM

Ah crap, so I see the 2 you were talking about Junkers. That would have been a heck of alot easier to take those loose than the ones I already did. Back out to the driveway. Hey by the way, saw in another thread you might be heading to Fairchild in the future. If you ever need any info on stuff up here let me know.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:44 AM

Ah crap, so I see the 2 you were talking about Junkers. That would have been a heck of alot easier to take those loose than the ones I already did. Back out to the driveway. Hey by the way, saw in another thread you might be heading to Fairchild in the future. If you ever need any info on stuff up here let me know.
hehe, glad you figured that out, those two longer ones are easy as pie to remove.

Thanks for the offer, I'll keep you in mind. I've got a handful of folks sending me job information and things about the base.

Good luck with the diff!!
Old 04-12-2011, 07:59 PM

So now that got through that and everyting it's time to get this back in. For 3 hours now I've been fighting with the front mount and center support. This is the last thing to get in and it's become a major PITA. I've got the diff up as high as it will go which is against the oil pan, and it's still not giving me enough room to slide the center support into place. I'm trying to do this by myself and I've got 2 jacks with me but just cant get this figured out.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:52 AM

When you say center support do you mean the entire cross piece that the diff bolts up to in the front? If so then take that darn thing off, bolt it in place without the diff attached to it, then using a jack slide the front of the diff up and forward until you can put the retaining bolt in there (kind of a pain with the rubber grommet in there). Once you have the center bolt in there you can push the diff up a little by hand and start the other retaining bolts. Shouldn't take more than about an hour.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:14 AM

Didn't even think to do that. I had alot of trouble getting those bolts lined up for the upper supports and I didn't want to have to take them out again. I guess though once the front support is bolted in, then the upper supports should be lined right up or very close. Once again I'm over-thinking something and get tunnel vision. Thanks Junkers. Hopefully I'll get this done tonight. The wife hates having to share a car with me.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:46 AM

Something else I should have mentioned (my apologies) is that you could knock the studs out of the diff where the CV's bolt up and replace them with some grade 8 bolts, lock washers and nuts. This will do two things for you. One~ It'll make removing and reinstalling the diff a heck of a lot easier and Two~ it makes changing the CV's out on the trail easier (or so I've been told, haven't ever broken one *knock on wood*).

Have fun!

edit~ If you keep this up you'll have to put that facepalm thing in your signature line...... *laugh*

Last edited by Junkers88; 04-13-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:13 PM

Ok, so before I try to get into this tonight I just want to double check things. So I should take the upper mounting bolts, 1 on each side, and let diff drop all the way again.
Put in the center support with the 2 bolts on each side.
Then lift diff up and work into front mount of center support and bolt in.
Then lift diff up to re-hang onto upper supports.

It's going to be cold and rainy tonight and I'll be doing this in the driveway so I just want to get a clear thought process going before I start rolling around on the ground.
Really appreciate the help Junkers and patience.

I think I might have to change my avatar to the facepalm at the rate I'm going lol

Last edited by 86yota321; 04-13-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:44 PM

Ok, so before I try to get into this tonight I just want to double check things. So I should take the upper mounting bolts, 1 on each side, and let diff drop all the way again.
Put in the center support with the 2 bolts on each side.
Then lift diff up and work into front mount of center support and bolt in.
Then lift diff up to re-hang onto upper supports.

It's going to be cold and rainy tonight and I'll be doing this in the driveway so I just want to get a clear thought process going before I start rolling around on the ground.
Really appreciate the help Junkers and patience.

I think I might have to change my avatar to the facepalm at the rate I'm going lol
That's the procedure I use and it works. It does help if you have an extra pair of hands (hint~ get the wife out there to help).

If you need anything call me at 5 oh 5- 5 oh 8- seven 6 0 nine and I'll try to talk you through it.