Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

lost in Africa with a LJ73 - does not crank

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 03:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lost in Africa with a LJ73 - does not crank

Hi,
First of all I'm a frenchie lost in Africa in the middle of nowhere, and there's nothing here (eh... I've got internet anyway). Here it's a real nightmare with my LJ73. No parts available closeby (120kms), and the people are used to fix things for 1 or 2 days, if they can fix things...
My LJ73 doest not start. checked glow plugs, they're fine, and they're powered, no problem.

Checked diesel pipes, fine, after the filter no problem. But after the pump, nothing, when I try to start the engine. Ok that's it.

I thought "maybe the fuel solenoid". Yes maybe, but I can't check it, unless first I remove the pump! arrrrhhh.

What is really strange is that when I insist on the starter, after a while, 20 seconds, it starts.
I'm afraid that the pump could be dead. What do you think? How do we know the pump is dead?
Or is that possible that when I insist, insist, on the starter, finally the fuel solenoid moves out a little bit and then it's fine?
when I succeeded to start the engine, I can stop it an restart immediately... So I'm so puzzled...
Please could you give an idea, whatever it is, it's creepy to be stuck in the middle of Africa.
Thank you.
Alain
Old 02-07-2014, 06:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
any chance your getting a little bit of air in the line it sounds like its loosing prime. is that a rotary style bosch type pump? most likely ve style. if thats the case i would say solenoid first then perhaps the fuel vane is buggered up inside the pump but that rarly happens. if your getting return flow when cranking the vane is fine. have you tried powering the stop solenoid directly to hear or feel a click? also are there 2 or 3 wires off your stop solenoid. if there are 3 then it is important you get the pull back and hold coil wired correctly and not backwards or it will fail. mechanical diesels are fairly easy to troubleshoot. i would hazard a guess that your pump is not shot since once it runs it runs. also check the fuel inlet screen in the pump itself if you have one it can clog up with crappy fuel and bacteria. my guess would be that its losing prime or leaking in air somewhere. and a really easy check is the stop solenoid dual avtivated by the start position as well as run. perhaps a bad relay?
Old 02-07-2014, 06:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not too familiar with your model, but definately sounds like you have a fuel flow issue. Possibly it is taking that long to re-prime the fuel line from the tank to the engine and after shut down, the line drains back to the tank.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks guys. Now the night is coming here. I'll try soon.
I don't really know how to "force" the fuel solenoid,
anything else welcomed.
As as possible I'll give you feedback.