86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

loose steering box

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
loose steering box

Hi there. Have a question; is it normal for there to be a little bit of play between the input and output shafts in a steering box? I have a 1993 4Runner with unacceptably loose steering and when I look at the steering box I can see that there is definitely some slack between the input and output shafts of the box. I've tried tightening the adjustment nut but all that seemed to do was add 'resistance' to the steering wheel. thanks!
Old 08-27-2017, 01:51 PM

Sorry if this posted in the wrong thread. There was a question box that popped up and I asked a question. It's not my fault, I swear!
Old 08-27-2017, 05:20 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Unacceptable loose steering?
What do you mean?, is it clunking, does the steering wheel have excessive play from left to right?
Did you also check oil level in steering box?

Did you check all your steering components, tie rods, sleeves, center link PS pump and hoses and so on?
If your now getting more resistance after messing with the adjustment of the box, then you probably adjusted it wrong (too tight)
It sounds like it's binding now. adjusting a steering box requires small increments each time and re-checking to make sure it's not binding.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:02 PM

Received 284 Likes on 212 Posts
Like Ksti said, check your steering components first. Idler arm, pitman arm, tie rod ends, wheel bearings, ball joints. There is supposed to be some play in the steering box, but you could have someone wiggle the steering wheel and check to see if there is play in the output shaft, like moving side to side before it rotates. you should give some more information because there is a fine line between "play in the steering" and "my truck wanders all over the road".
Old 08-27-2017, 10:05 PM

It's excessive play. not very bad, but it doesn't drive straight any more and I'm worried something might break if I'm out on a trail.

That's just what I did; I had my brother slowly turn the steering wheel left to right while I watched the shafts in the steering box and it seems like all the play in the steering is coming from right between the input and output shafts of the steering box. It wasn't always this bad. I do have to top off my power steering fluid about once a month at the most. I'm not sure how to check the fluid level inside the steering box. I'm just wondering if there's a steering gear or something inside the box that I can easily replace, or if I'm better off just buying a new box.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:07 PM

There is definitely play between the input and output shafts, I just wish I could show you just how much.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:55 AM

Received 834 Likes on 559 Posts
I know exactly what you are referring to. I just swapped out my box for the same reason. I made a post asking the same question. Did not get any answers. unfortunately, i can't tell you why it is doing it without taking apart my box. There are several good videos on rebuilding boxes on youtube but none that i saw addressed this directly. I suspect the fluid pressure should mitigate some of the sloppiness on the input side, but how much?
It seems that if you tighten the adjuster screw too far, the problem becomes more apparent due to the extra drag. Try backing it off and see what happens. Used boxes seem to go about $100. Find a good one and swap it.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:23 AM

a red 4runer, that avatar is creepy.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:02 PM

when you say "It's excessive play. not very bad, but it doesn't drive straight any more" I'm not convinced you have excessive play in your steering box. As an alignment tech for many years I had to learn to read between the lines and the only explanation that would lead me to look at the steering box would be "I move the steering wheel a long way before anything happens" and I would still check all of the joints in the front end first. You could also look at the steering column for any slop, I can't remember if there is a slip joint, u-joints or a rag joint on the shaft. If you over tighten the steering gear it will usually be the tightest at straight ahead and it will cause it to "cam over" kind of like "pop past" 12 o'clock and make you wander all over the road because your truck "will not drive straight". So, there must ALWAYS be a little bit of play in your steering box
Old 08-28-2017, 05:13 PM

^^^ Agree

Get a buddy and have him turn the steering wheel and video your rig to show us what your talking about.
"Excessiive play, not very bad" sounds kinda goofy.

Last edited by ksti; 08-28-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-18-2020, 12:22 AM

Sorry for the slight delay
It doesn't klunk or make any noises but there's definitely noticeable sloppiness. It's not actually "unacceptable," I just wish it was nice and tight again. I haven't noticed any significant play anywhere else in the steering linkage except for a tie rod end which I replaced not too long ago. But there is definitely play in the steering box between the input and output shaft. I haven't checked the oil level in the box and I'm not really sure how (I though it was just power steering fluid), but when I loosened the lock nut on the adjuster a little bit of fluid did start to seep out.

Edit - Wow I just noticed the whole rest of the comments I didn't see before. I'll get a video going of what I'm talking about.

Last edited by 4runner4days; 04-18-2020 at 12:36 AM.
Old 04-18-2020, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by 4runner4days
Sorry for the slight delay
It doesn't klunk or make any noises but there's definitely noticeable sloppiness. It's not actually "unacceptable," I just wish it was nice and tight again. I haven't noticed any significant play anywhere else in the steering linkage except for a tie rod end which I replaced not too long ago. But there is definitely play in the steering box between the input and output shaft. I haven't checked the oil level in the box and I'm not really sure how (I though it was just power steering fluid), but when I loosened the lock nut on the adjuster a little bit of fluid did start to seep out.

Edit - Wow I just noticed the whole rest of the comments I didn't see before. I'll get a video going of what I'm talking about.
If you have power steering the fluid level is checked/maintained at the power steering pump reservoir, not at the steering box.
Old 04-20-2020, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by akwheeler
If you have power steering the fluid level is checked/maintained at the power steering pump reservoir, not at the steering box.
Yep, I know. I just thought the steering box fluid was part of the same system, but from what I'm hearing it sounds like it's not.
Old 04-20-2020, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by 4runner4days
Yep, I know. I just thought the steering box fluid was part of the same system, but from what I'm hearing it sounds like it's not.
It is all part of the same system and it is filled by the power steering pump which is filled by the power steering reservoir, some vehicles that is attached to the pump some it is not.
The following users liked this post:
4runner4days (04-21-2020)