looky looky

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good dude

I cant wait to see this when its finished, make sure and get some burnout pic's
Old 03-20-2007, 11:31 AM

XD Oh ☺☺☺☺ this is funny, not even yotatech is gonna support you all the way in doing this Shoes, just give up on it man and get a real engine for far less.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like someone wasn't careful when they pulled the cam out and lifted one end too far and broke the flange off.

You should replace that cam = $300.

The sucking sound you now hear is the 3.toilet draining your wallet.

FYI: there are numerous people who have built their 3.turds to the hilt, some have turbo'd them, some have put whipple type superchargers on there.
You don't find any around here because NO one was successful except for the one guy on Pirate who micky moused his together.

Boldly going where others have been and failed before is not a thing to be praised. It's just plain stupid. (I don't mean to be cruel or rude, but you are going down a path that has only one end, and it isn't pretty.)

Let's say you spend all this time and money getting a turbo cobbled together on a 3.slow. You are not going to end up with something reliable and performing anywhere in relation to the $ you spend. What you'll have is an overpriced, underpowered, unreliable engine which will leave you stranded when you need it most. It'll still spit out head gaskets (more so with forced induction) spin rod bearings, get lousy mileage and be a big headache.

You are already finding problems with what you got for FREE. Even if you do all the labor yourself you WILL spend $2500 just rebuilding that stock motor (I just did it on the cheep and did the labor myself.) Then you will want to run down the path of adding go fast goodies to it, that's a bunch more $, more headache and NONE of these goodies really give good results.

You should STOP right now. Find a 3.4, do the swap on that for cheep (which can be done if you scrounge and do your research.) Once you have the 3.4 in there you have a platform which will respond to performance mods and survive.

Last edited by MonsterMaxx; 03-20-2007 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyroo
XD Oh ☺☺☺☺ this is funny, not even yotatech is gonna support you all the way in doing this Shoes, just give up on it man and get a real engine for far less.
your just gay! point blank! once i get everything working you ass is gonna be wondering how i did it! so if you aint got nuthin positive to say then keep ur damn mouth shut!

Originally Posted by MonsterMaxx
Looks like someone wasn't careful when they pulled the cam out and lifted one end too far and broke the flange off.

FYI: there are numerous people who have built their 3.turds to the hilt, some have turbo'd them, some have put whipple type superchargers on there.
You don't find any around here because NO one was successful except for the one guy on Pirate who micky moused his together.

Boldly going where others have been and failed before is not a thing to be praised. It's just plain stupid. (I don't mean to be cruel or rude, but you are going down a path that has only one end, and it isn't pretty.)

Let's say you spend all this time and money getting a turbo cobbled together on a 3.slow. You are not going to end up with something reliable and performing anywhere in relation to the $ you spend. What you'll have is an overpriced, underpowered, unreliable engine which will leave you stranded when you need it most. It'll still spit out head gaskets (more so with forced induction) spin rod bearings, get lousy mileage and be a big headache.

You are already finding problems with what you got for FREE. Even if you do all the labor yourself you WILL spend $2500 just rebuilding that stock motor (I just did it on the cheep and did the labor myself.) Then you will want to run down the path of adding go fast goodies to it, that's a bunch more $, more headache and NONE of these goodies really give good results.

You should STOP right now. Find a 3.4, do the swap on that for cheep (which can be done if you scrounge and do your research.) Once you have the 3.4 in there you have a platform which will respond to performance mods and survive.
im still gonna do this motor whether you like it or not if it doesnt turn out then it was a great learning process. N im not gonna be drop a 5vz motor in thats very expensive. And as far as reliablity goes this isnt gonna be my daily driver. Its gonna be a show truck! n by the way cams dont cost 300 dollars! there $75. thank you
Old 03-20-2007, 10:18 PM

Updates:
Today i finally go the heads off, but i need help indentifing where the head gasket blew if anyone could help! but im thinking its cylinder number 6 cuz the gasket is badly warped and the piston seems very clean. please if you guys see anything else wrong or anything that catches you eye please tell me! thanks guys
here are the pics
Passengers side head

Drivers side head

# 6 cylinder

Drivers side

Passenger side
Old 03-21-2007, 06:28 AM

Yeah that's where it is. You can see where the gasket failed by the water channel next to the bolt hole on the lower right of the cylinder. Looks like it had a burnt valve & some contact with the pistons on a couple of cylinders too; but it might just be the way the light is shining on the valves.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by MonsterMaxx

Ahhh...the sound of a virtual 3.0 owner...what a great thing.

Listen, If you think that a 3.4 swap will cost less than a 3.0 you are full of it. Unless you boosted the motor somewhere that thing is going to cost at least $1000 more than a solid 3.0.

Good on you for doing 3.4 swap, everyone is very impressed...just let somebody do what they want and roll with it. Your suggestion thata 3.0absolutely cannot be buily into a reliable machine only shows me that you don't really know what you are doing when it comes to these engines.

I get sick and tired of people jumping on the band wagon about how bad the 3.0 is...if you have one and it has done you wrong fine, but if you don't and you are just shooting you soup cooler off because it is the cool thing to do...˟˟˟˟ and back off.

Jon

keep it up shoes, i am interested to see how it all turns out.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by jriebe
Ahhh...the sound of a virtual 3.0 owner...what a great thing.

Listen, If you think that a 3.4 swap will cost less than a 3.0 you are full of it. Unless you boosted the motor somewhere that thing is going to cost at least $1000 more than a solid 3.0.

Good on you for doing 3.4 swap, everyone is very impressed...just let somebody do what they want and roll with it. Your suggestion thata 3.0absolutely cannot be buily into a reliable machine only shows me that you don't really know what you are doing when it comes to these engines.

I get sick and tired of people jumping on the band wagon about how bad the 3.0 is...if you have one and it has done you wrong fine, but if you don't and you are just shooting you soup cooler off because it is the cool thing to do...˟˟˟˟ and back off.

Jon

keep it up shoes, i am interested to see how it all turns out.
Your Funny!

Have you performed your own 3.4l swap?

From my 2 3.4l swaps and soon to be 3rd.

The first truck i swaped was a total cost of $3800. The engine was 2k the tranny and tcase was $500(swaped to a manual) the super charger was $700 after the rebuild, the rest was swap parts that I built and sourced. This was swaped over 3 years ago when 5vz were spendy.

The second truck i swaped cost me $2200. The engine was $1400 (rolled 4runner) and the rest was small parts. This swap would have been cheaper if the donor truck I purchased whole would have been a manual. After the fact I sold more parts off of the donor truck for $600 back in my pocket. So the real cost of the swap was $1600.

Shoes, you know what I would do in your situation but you don't want to hear it soo...

On your fuel system I would reuse the stock manifold but build a custom plenum and throttle body. To duplicate the mount for the t-belt idler would be way tough. You will also need a standalone fuel management system, eliminate the factory ECU, and build yourself some custom fuel/timing maps to be more boost friendly.

Expect to spend 2k on the build and machine work on your engine (fat cams, new OS valves, new pistions, bearings, rings, oil pump, water pump, timing bearings, and other crap). I would bet 2 turbos from a junk yard would be $500 or so plus a rebuild. Stand alone fuel systems are $1500 for cheap ones. Custom manifolds and exhaust work$$$ You'll be into this thing for 6k easy.

You love your 3.slow and only want it, rebuild it stock and get a big NOS bottle with a fat wet shot. This will be cheaper and look sweet with some polishing and hose work(for your show truck).
Old 04-27-2007, 10:05 PM

Sweet fell-pro gaskets, the failure point is normal for the most part. Make sure your deck surface is less then .003", might just want to get the block decked to be sure. The cam looks to be oil starved also, a very small amount(notice the aluminum transfer)check the head for galling, replace as needed.

DO NOT forget to get a new/change the knock sensor wire, your 89 is different then the 92, that would suck to have to pull the manifold again.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:29 PM

haha ,god damn ,im really enjoying this thread , every body making there point and juging everybody. but guys .... GET IT TOGETHER!!! were supose to help eachother .
Old 04-27-2007, 10:42 PM

time for a 4x4 LOL
Old 04-29-2007, 10:41 PM

well i once i get the funds this is my plan
o/s valves n weazys cams
PnP heads
forged connecting rods
forged n low compresion pistons
twin turbos out of a 300zx
redoing the intake plenum
custom fuel rail
ted's head bolts with multi layer steel head gaskets

thanks for guys inputs, if anyone else has suggestion let me know. ill most likely run a megasquirt on this system. i also had a question if i should have the block bored over or not?? thanks again guys!