Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Looking at a truck what is it worth ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at a truck what is it worth ?

I am interested in a 92 truck with what the seller claims needs only a timing chain and cover. The engine is partially disassembled and it looks like milky looking oil coating the cam and valve train making me think it is more than the timing chain? I have not looked at it in person or been able to receive a reply from him yet so I don't know what the frame is like and the picture looks like body and paint is really good but that could be drastically different when seen in person ?? I know with not knowing more info or seeing the truck in person a exact price is not possible but what would be a ball park value for this truck ? Below is the sellers description

92 Toyota Pickup 4x4 with 22RE engine. It needs a timing chain and new timing cover. I don't have time to fix it. I drove it daily for a year until the chain failed. 5 speed manual transmission 4x4. Has the w56 from Toyota which is hands down the best they ever made from 80s until 1995. Has newer clutch in it. Comes with all parts. Will need to be towed.
Attached Thumbnails Looking at a truck what is it worth ?-00q0q_jbk3lqy0rev_600x450.jpg   Looking at a truck what is it worth ?-00q0q_3yqmd3pm9vn_600x450.jpg  
Old 09-30-2017, 07:26 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
In what part of the country is this truck located? If it's in upstate New York or anywhere in Wisconsin it could be one thing. If it's down in South Carolina or Arizona it could be another thing entirely. That said, if it's a clean, rust-free truck, It could be worth quite a bit to the right buyer. Of course, we all want to be that guy who spots a deal that is too good to believe and scoops it up.

Anytime a vehicle has an engine that's been partly disassembled by the current owner I would want to put a heavy discount on it. Might be a prime candidate for an engine swap though. You seem to like the W56 transmission, so I'm thinking a 3RZ swap is what you should be looking at, even if that were to come later.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:27 PM

Truck is in South East
Old 09-30-2017, 08:03 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Any idea how big those tires are? They look like at least 31s maybe 33s. If that's the case, it would be important to know what gears are in the differentials. If someone just slapped big tires on there without re-gearing it could be even more underpowered then one of these trucks already is. Anyway, it's something you might want to know as part of your process of arriving at the correct value of the truck.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
or you could say hell with it, buy the truck and swap in a early supra turbo motor, 7m-gte turbo and have tons of power tons of torque, plus super fun ride
Old 10-01-2017, 01:18 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

As it is not able to be driven so who knows what other drive train problems it has.

If the antifreeze mixed with the oil the lower end is mostly gone as well so figure the worst case

rebuilding the engine or a used one into the budget on top of all the other areas that need to be caught up

While the W56 is ok it was not the end all of Toyota Transmissions

To me a little over scrap price depending on the tires .

Depends just How bad you think you need this Truck
Old 10-01-2017, 04:31 AM

Seller finally got back with me and it is sold