86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

long crank time when cold

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
long crank time when cold

title says it all, I am having issues with extended crank time when started first thing in the morning or after sitting for a few hours. My first thought is fuel pump not holding pressure KOEO but found thats not the case. what else can cause this? regulator?

oh and its an 86 22re.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:36 AM

sounds like you are on the right track. You have a fuel leak somewhere causing air to get in. I had the same thing and it was a leaking injector seal.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could also be your cold start injector/switch.

Rob
Old 06-28-2007, 08:04 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rdlsz24
Could also be your cold start injector/switch.

Rob
X2

Or more precisely, the cold start injector "timing" switch. (Just for reference)
Old 07-02-2007, 08:46 AM

I check the timer(thermo) whatever switch and it was ok. the cold start injector also tested out ok. I did a base engine compression check and was a little on the low side around 140s but everything was even. today it decided to fix itself the past couple starts so we will see. I am not going to be tossing parts at it since we all know they are not cheap. I also checked fuel pressure and its all ok and does not leak down at all so that rules out a sticking injector.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:28 PM

I actually have that problem with my truck as well. It actually has a check engine light for that (forgot which exact code number, but it DOES NOT leave the check engine light on). It has something to do with the computer not sensing that the engine is rotating fast enough to fire or start. I have not actually solved that problem, but mine seems to do it more when cold, though not necessarily all the time when it's cold. Have or do a diagnosis on your check engine light, it might show itself.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:49 PM

start here: http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker
Old 07-02-2007, 10:52 PM

OK, well link is inop. try www.autozone.com then, diy etc.......sounds like....hard to start etc....
Old 10-14-2007, 02:52 PM

I am having a similar problem. When cold it takes up to 6-10 seconds of cranking before it starts. Everything else works after that. I just had most of my fuel system replaced, and my O2 sensor, that helped but it still is hard to start.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this will be a good thread. mine does the same thing, except, its super hard to start. some mornings it will start on the first crank, others it will crank for about a minute- a minute and a half before starting. no idea, but i do know its always done this in the cold mornings, even before i flipped it.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:45 PM

well you don't have a fuel leak as you said your did a fuel pressure test and it held... If i was gonna make a suggestion i might say a dieing fuel pump... or an evap issue.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:54 PM

I had a very similar problem a few weeks back and I relized it was because I had very low fuel pressure, it ended up being the fuel dampner underneath the upper plenim at the back of the fuel rail, the little screw somehow backed itself out and caused a leak. this was on the 3.0
Old 10-16-2007, 06:43 AM

I just had most of my fuel system replaced (big leak) about a month ago. It helped but it still takes awhile. I will check that fuel damper screw...
Old 10-16-2007, 08:12 AM

Hard Starting

Intermittent fuel pump operation could cause , had that problem on a pump once , it would start after you cranked the motor a bit , had a bad spot in the motor , wouldn't do it all the time but enough to aggravate you , I will follow this thread to hear the results
Old 11-11-2007, 02:52 AM

Had the same issue with my '94. I took out the Cold Start Injector, hit it with carb cleaner, ensure it's clean as a whistle. I still had the problem, I then replaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator ($70 at Autozone) (...figured I was losing the fuel "pre-charge"). I was considering replacing the Cold Start Injector TIMER (which is located on the coolant line behind the intake manifold), but I did notice I had some "bubbling noise" issues when I turned on my heater. I did as this site suggested, placed the truck in a nose high attitude, let it run until thermostat opened, topped off the radiator, and I haven't had the problem since... Could it be the Cold Start Injector Timer wasn't submerged in coolant, that an air pocket wasn't allowing it to do it's job. What I do know is my truck is starting sweeeet, and I don't have that bubbling noise in my heater anymore. This site rocks.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:04 PM

I would like to try what you did. What do you mean let it run until the thermostat opened? Do you mean until it heats up?
Old 11-12-2007, 03:17 AM

...it's not until the thermostat opens that you have circulation throughout your cooling system, just remember, the first thing you want to try is the Cold Start Injector, extremely easy to get to, one electrical connector and two bolts... you can have it out and cleaned and reinstalled in less than 15 minutes. If never cleaned, you will find it skanky looking... good luck.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:06 AM

What do you recommend cleaning it with? I have throttle body cleaner and some electric cleaner.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:17 AM

Injector cleaner

...just your run of the mill carb cleaner, I wouldn't use the electrical cleaner, it may not have the gummy built up cleaning properties a carb cleaner would have.

In response to the fuel pump possibilities, I considered them, however that would entail dropping the tank, not fun on a 13 year old vehicle (there's even a check valve inside the pump itself, could that be bad thus allowing the fuel to go back in the tank). Like I said my fix posted earlier totally fixed my truck, it's starting better than it ever has, especially now that it's getting cold outside and even after it's sat for weeks.

Let me know what your cold start injector looked like before you clean it up. Good luck.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:41 PM

hi,
am having the same problem...problem is that i do know where teh cold start injector is...can someone post a pci for me? thanks a lot, guys...

Quick Reply: long crank time when cold