Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

long block from DOA --22R--

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 10:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i got my parts for my inshop 3vze rebuild from engnbldr.

I talked to him on the phone a number of times and was always really helpfull.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by suprathepeg
A guy in a local 4x4 club here baught a set of heads from DOA or so he thought.
His money order was cashed but no parts were sent, no tracking number given and he was left SOL. Sounds like theft to me. Sad thing is how do you fight it when you are in a different country and the ammount is under $3000? All you can do is work off your Visa and not buy from DOA again.
If you actually know this guy, have him contact with me. Assuming his money order was actually cashed by Tim - and he can track it - I'll be more than happy to explain how to get local law enforcement on the issue. Does he have any tracking of the money order? What did DOA say?

If the money order was not cashed by DOA, I'm still happy to help. Do you know that Tim got the money for a fact or do you just know the money was cashed?
Old 11-30-2006, 02:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll ask him, it was years ago and he moved on to a SB350 so I doubt he still cares. It just came up when we were discussing my engine once to be honest I don't think he cares much anymore he just says "lesson learned". I will let him know though.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:15 PM

Get me a copy of a check that DOA cashed and no items were received, I'm happy to put it up on my website.

If a DOA motor was DOA - and another machine shop diagnosed it as overground cams, incorrectly decked, whatever - Again, I'll post that documentation.

If nothing else, you guys have me convinced that a 3.0 shouldn't be sent to doa!

If there is a BBB report that lists complaints, reference it - and I'll provide a link to it on my website. I can't find anything out of CA that lists complaints.

Maxx's truck.. I think that could have gone either way as he's on engine number 3... That's just my opinion.

I have no relationship with Tim, other than being a customer - he doesn't cut me any breaks on parts. My experience has been good - outside of some minor issues that I've disclosed. I'm not 100% happy with being sold a "turbo" oil pump that wasn't!
Old 11-30-2006, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like DOA sucks
Old 11-30-2006, 08:30 PM

dcg, just an FYI, but these deaths all occurred with DOA parts, including the last one which pretty much ended DOA junk in my truck - broken DOA piston (probably some cheep Chinese junk.) Piston cracked, then burned a hole at the crack.

Why didn't I toss all this way back when? Tim had already drained me of all finances, I had nothing left and needed my truck to run - we used what we had.

I'm utterly convinced that he not only did a crap job of building the motor but gave me a huge fu(king when he 'inspected' it, then charged me over a thousand dollars for the 'inspection' and return of the carcass.

Believe whatever you want, frankly I don't care. I was there, I know what happened and Tim did me way wrong. If you want to get fu(ked too, go right ahead and buy junk from crooked Tim @ DOA. You've been warned.

Last edited by MonsterMaxx; 11-30-2006 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by dcg9381
So what was the problem? If it's the cams, why are you offering to resell them? How do the cams damage the valves if they're shimmed appropriately?

Tim sent me bench flow numbers with my 22RE head:
218cfm @ .425/16" water 103 F
200cfm @ .425/16" water 106 F
That's somewhere between LC Engineerings stage 3 and 4 heads.

Explain to me how being too rich would mess up intake valves? Too rich (signfiicantly) can wash the cylinder walls and damage the bore.. but damage a valve?

What part of the valves were beat?

1) After talking to Several guys I would consider experts on cyl heads (Ted@Engnbuilder,Brian@M+B Cyl heads,Rob@Louthan performance) it seems to be a consensus that the ramps on the intake lobes where ground too steep for 3.0 valve springs to control. The intake valve was trying to close too quickly and causing the valve to free fall shut then bounce.

My motor made a ton of valve train racket but when I called Tim I was told its just valve ring because of the headers allowing more valve noise to exit the head (*caugh*bulls(hit**cough*) and I was assured by Tim everything was fine. 1k miles later I had a significant miss when it was cold so after exhausting all my other possibilities I ran a compression check. I came up with like 40psi in 3 cyls? when the truck was cold. I rigged the compression tester hose by removing the valve in the end and hooking my air compressor to the cyl (much like you would do to keep a valve seated to replace a spring w/out pulling the head) and applied about 30psi to the cyl to check for leakage. I had plenty of air coming out of the intake with both valves closed. I checked the valve clearance and found no clearance on the intakes for those 3 cyls so I bought shims and set it correctly....
About 1k miles later I had the same symptoms again....and again....and again....
To make a long story short I can tell you that I have probably spent $300 on valve shims before I finally ran out of shims as there where no smaller ones available (probably have 35 extra shims in a box in the garage).

This time I pulled the whole motor and rebuilt everything. I had Rob over at Louthan comp rebuild my heads using EB's valves. I had the block bored (.020 to get the cyl wall taper out) and the crank re finished. I also had the whole rotating assembly balanced on a sunnon balancing machine. Once I got her all back together and fired it up. I still had this terrible racket coming from the top end (no one ever suspected the cams). So I drove it over to Robs shop and he had a pretty surprised look on his face when he heard the top end noise. His words where something to the affect of "Take that thing straight home and park it till you find some new cams" Unfortunately I had to drive the truck as my alternate source of transportation was no longer available. So as usual 1k miles later I got more shim swapping to do. I finally managed to get a set of stock cams installed and my top end noise is gone like magic. I still have a few valves I need to get replaced due to the time I had to use the truck but with the stock cams the high rate of deterioration on those valves is all but gone. Rob over at Louthan Performance cyl heads has offered to do the labor on the valve replacement for free once I bring him the heads which is a hell of a lot more than I ever got out of Tim Jenkins. Its really odd how the problems where only with the Intake valves and I never once had to adjust an exhaust valve during this whole ordeal.

If you want to know how running too rich will damage an intake valve you will have to call Tim Jenkins@DOA racing and ask him because thats the biggest line of sh[it I have ever heard.

As far as what part of the valves where beat?
The valve seat was hammered all to hell. the valve seat face was convexed (looked like a little ditch all the way around the valve head). I actually still have the valves so if you would like to PM me your E mail address I can send you photos. There was a post on 4x4wire some where when I posted a few pic's but that was quiet a while back and I have since dumped the image from the host. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

2) The reason I offer the cams for sale is that there is undoubtedly some one out there that thinks maybe I did something wrong and that the cams are perfectly fine. Some one always thinks they have the right answer and for that person I have a set of DOA cams with maybe 6k miles on them for $150.

I personally will never consider buying anything from good ol Tim again. I will also do everything I can to make sure that no one else gets to learn any very expensive lessons from DOA racing. I really hate discussing this topic for 2 reasons.
a) It gets me really pissed off to think about the whole situation and how much farther ahead I would be (dual cases or ARB's) if I had not lost what is probably several thousand dollars. I fix everything myself and only take things like blocks and cyl heads in because its not economically feasible to buy the tools and do it myself. When I'm paying to get something done I want it perfect! I want it done better than I can do it and it really pisses me off when I get screwed because I believed some one was a professionally. Im the kind of guy buys a $600 drill press to build a Air/Hyd 20 ton press just so I can set up my differentials rather than taking them to a shop and having to trust some knuckle head to get them perfect. I'm pondering buying an exhaust tube bender just because I cant find a competent person to build a stinking exhaust the way I want. I'm sure you can see what I'm talking about here so I will quit rambling.

b) I usually end up writing a freaking novel trying to explain the whole situation. Typing is not my strong suit and if it where not for spell checkers you guys would be asking what language I'm speaking.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:39 AM

*Extends Sholder* *Pats Ganoid on the Head* Its OK man we'll get through this together I have guns and a tarp *Evil Look Creeps Over Face* We'll get that bastard and we'll do it for all the little people.

Damn Ganoid its too bad you're so far away with all those tools in your garage, hehe.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:03 PM

MonsterMaxx,
If you fried an engine, sent it back, received your parts back, had someone else you state is "reputable" rebuild using those received parts, killed that engine, then rebuilt and fried a 3rd engine, why are you blaming the builders and not yourself? Seems you have a habit of frying engines............
Old 12-02-2006, 01:07 PM

Maxx IMHO your problem is EFI related and maybe not so much the engine. Could it be you have a bad sensor or ECU? I don't know about the first one but the latest look like running lean to me. Not that I'm there with you or anything.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:17 PM

A guy in a local 4x4 club here baught a set of heads from DOA or so he thought.

His money order was cashed but no parts were sent, no tracking number given and he was left SOL. Sounds like theft to me. Sad thing is how do you fight it when you are in a different country and the ammount is under $3000? All you can do is work off your Visa and not buy from DOA again.
Think you should have more than "hear say" when you write something inflammatory like this. The way you fight fraud from another country is the plantiff hires an attorney, and files a suit. Of course, fraud would have needed to have taken place. Same situation goes for Maxx. I think if he had a leg to stand on a suit would have been filed, cross country or otherwise. Much easier to attack a company on the net, takes no courage, just free time.

Overly rich engines kill intake valves by virtue of cylinder temps being too high, same for seats. Intake valves are not tempered to the degree of exhaust valves. High temps cause the valve to overseat due to temper loss. Any good head shop will know this, as does any high quality valve supplier.

Last edited by Mportpower; 12-02-2006 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by MonsterMaxx
Beware of that scammer Tim Jenkins, he's a cheat and a lier. He's scammed a ridiculous number of people. Just check w/ the BBB in CA on his company. There's a report on him a mile long, he finally had to leave Calif to get away from all the angry customers.

Dead on Arrival pretty well describes what your experience will be.

Stay as far away from that crook as you possibly can. You've been warned.
bbb in CA shows a clean record, no mile long reports. If you're lying about something so minor, why would anyone find you credible on anything you've wrote about? At what point do you stand up and take responsibilty for your part? 3 engines....................seems reckless at best.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mportpower
bbb in CA shows a clean record, no mile long reports. If you're lying about something so minor, why would anyone find you credible on anything you've wrote about? At what point do you stand up and take responsibilty for your part? 3 engines....................seems reckless at best.
Your name wouldn't happen to be Tim would it???

Here's the thing. Every yota site I have been on has a long list of loyal EB customers and a list of anti DOA types. Chance happening? I think not. FWIW think about the cost of hiring a lawyer in another country compaired to the cost of the parts. In the end you would lose. Finally the best you could hope for is the guilty party sends you the parts and after all that would YOU want to run those parts? Once again I think not. Once bitten twice shy.

Ganoid can defend himself but the fact that after tossing the DOA cams the problems went away. I find it hard to believe that cams could cause an engine to run rich but even if they could once again we are back to the cams.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:34 PM

Your name wouldn't happen to be Tim would it???

I was wondering the same thing.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ChickenLover

I was wondering the same thing.
same here... new guy with 4 posts defending Tim
Old 12-02-2006, 02:58 PM

So, any opinion that might show the other side of the coin is "defending?"
Old 12-03-2006, 03:46 AM

[QUOTE=suprathepeg;50352263]Your name wouldn't happen to be Tim would it???

Here's the thing. Every yota site I have been on has a long list of loyal EB customers and a list of anti DOA types. Chance happening? I think not. FWIW think about the cost of hiring a lawyer in another country compaired to the cost of the parts. In the end you would lose. Finally the best you could hope for is the guilty party sends you the parts and after all that would YOU want to run those parts? Once again I think not. Once bitten twice shy.

So, you're stating facts based on what? Nothing. Back your script with some proof. If Maxx has such a deep issue with DOA, why is there not only not a "list of complaints a mile long," but not a complaint from Maxx? Show proof a check was cashed, and a customer was screwed over. It's not "defending" when you offer up nonsense, can't prove one word of it, and someone else calls your bluff. I have sued individuals in CAN, you make certain the recoup is listed in the complaint letter filed. It's a very simple task.

Maybe it's just me, but when I go into a site, and there's a group of guys ranting about something they claim was done to them, I want to see proof.
Not just some slanted perception. Back these statements with proof, especially the remark about claiming "Studs are ARP sourced, but really bolts with the tops cut off." That one's a winner.

I think I've adequately made my point here, take care guys.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mportpower

I think I've adequately made my point here

You certainly have. Although, I don't think it was the point you intended to make.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:10 PM

here ya go Mportpower you can go defend This Thread as well. If you quit screwing people there would not be threads like this. People give you there money expecting a professional job by some one who stands behind their work the least you could do is get half of it right.

I guess its like the old phrase says "Some lessons in life just cost more than others"

Last edited by Ganoid; 12-03-2006 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:45 PM

Clearly there are a few people that aren't happy with DOA (slight understatement).

I'm interested in some facts also - I can't find references to BBB complaints out of CA, even though DOA is still listed there.
I've offered help facilitate fraud resolution - which means criminal prosecution - which I do have experience with, but I no one has offered up a cashed check of any sort.. I lost $1k-$2k to an engine builder with a reputation in the community, I'd darn sure keep a copy of my payment.

No beef with anyone that's had an issue - I certainly don't dispute that, but for those asking me to remove DOA references from my website, I'll do that as soon as I can get a list of the BBB complaints or see a cashed check that resulted in outright fraud... Is that fair?

Quick Reply: long block from DOA --22R--