Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Lockright is installed in the front

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lockright is installed in the front

I spent Saturday morning installing my Lockright equipped diff I bought in the classified section here. At many of the manufacturers sites that sell auto-lockers they recommend a front locker before a rear locker although that runs contrary to what everyone here says.

My observations:

1. Steering is different. In 4hi or 4lo the steering feels more centered and takes more effort. Nothing too hard but very noticable. The vehicle will try to self center the wheels now a lot more than before. Also, the vehicle will track towards the crown on any surface.

2. Traction is unbelievable. We ran some of our regular hills/trails on Sunday without airing down. More for the fact that I forgot my air gauge
Even aired up we made it up some very difficult obstacles. Had we been aired down I know that the sandhills would have been even easier.

3. I like the clicking when I turn. Lets me know the locker is there. No unusual bangs or noises in front, just the expected clicking from time to time.

This is a very worthwhile addition. I know a selectable locker is more desirable in the front for steering reasons but this is not a bad alternative. I have the rear Lockright sitting in its box but I did this install first to see why Aussie and others recommend a front locker first.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Victor
I spent Saturday morning installing my Lockright equipped diff I bought in the classified section here. At many of the manufacturers sites that sell auto-lockers they recommend a front locker before a rear locker although that runs contrary to what everyone here says.

My observations:

1. Steering is different. In 4hi or 4lo the steering feels more centered and takes more effort. Nothing too hard but very noticable. The vehicle will try to self center the wheels now a lot more than before. Also, the vehicle will track towards the crown on any surface.

2. Traction is unbelievable. We ran some of our regular hills/trails on Sunday without airing down. More for the fact that I forgot my air gauge
Even aired up we made it up some very difficult obstacles. Had we been aired down I know that the sandhills would have been even easier.

3. I like the clicking when I turn. Lets me know the locker is there. No unusual bangs or noises in front, just the expected clicking from time to time.

This is a very worthwhile addition. I know a selectable locker is more desirable in the front for steering reasons but this is not a bad alternative. I have the rear Lockright sitting in its box but I did this install first to see why Aussie and others recommend a front locker first.

You'll notice another change when you install the rear.
After that the vehicle will want to track to the low side of the road.
Makes it interesting in real off camber areas, driving in the snow or ice, or ran slicked highway, etc. ..

Fred
Old 08-13-2007, 05:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You'll love having the rear locked. It makes a huge difference in everyday low-traction situations. I know I love mine.

I just wish I had either put one in the front or welded it when I had everything apart. Oh well, not like its that big of a deal to take it out.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Fred. I don't think that I would have expected that.