Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Locking Center Console

Old 08-02-2009, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tuffy 6.5 wide locking console

So I ordered the Tuffy 6.5 inch locking console in camel/light tan. It is a snug fit in my 4Runner; the 8 inch console would have been too big. I also kept the rear window switch in its original location, with the help of a Sawzall, Dremel, and file. Since I could find no helpful photos of the Tuffy box installed in a 4Runner, I'm uploading my own. I also have "before" pics and some comparison pics of the original console and the Tuffy, side-by-side. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails Locking Center Console-console-before2.jpg   Locking Center Console-console-3.jpg   Locking Center Console-console-height.jpg  
Old 08-02-2009, 08:13 PM

More pics.
Attached Thumbnails Locking Center Console-consoles-compared-1.jpg   Locking Center Console-hacked-piece.jpg   Locking Center Console-tuffy-installed-2.jpg  
Old 08-02-2009, 08:18 PM

One more pic. If anyone needs info on the box or the install, let me know.

Thanks to Gerone at Toyota of Dallas for assistance with my order and fast shipping from Tuffy!
Attached Thumbnails Locking Center Console-installed-4.jpg  
Old 09-17-2012, 04:20 PM

I'm looking for a better way to mount my cup holders for quick removal on the rear of my locking Tuffy center storage armrest. They are great for extra large cups or for the use by rear passengers, but when installed, they prevent the rear seats from being folded down for more cargo space. I am currently using the pictured bolts and nuts, but usually have to break out 2 wrenches to loosen them. Any less tight and the cup holder will rattle and sag. I'm looking for a faster and easier hand-tight option. Any ideas?

rear of box

bolts

Old 09-17-2012, 09:38 PM

Here are the rear cupholders installed:

Old 09-18-2012, 06:27 AM
Contributing Member

Could you put nutserts in the box, then use a second nut on the inside to lock the bolt spaced a bit from the box. Keyhole the cupholder, and you should be able to slip it on and down to install, and slide up and out to remove.

Adjust tension as required to hold it while still allowing removal.
I
Without seeing the backside to confirm enough material, I can't guarantee success...but it would be the avenue I would pursue.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would get the Tuffy but I don't want to pay the high dollar for it..
Old 09-18-2012, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Gareth68
Could you put nutserts in the box, then use a second nut on the inside to lock the bolt spaced a bit from the box. Keyhole the cupholder, and you should be able to slip it on and down to install, and slide up and out to remove.

Adjust tension as required to hold it while still allowing removal.
I
Without seeing the backside to confirm enough material, I can't guarantee success...but it would be the avenue I would pursue.
Gareth, that's a good idea. The small tray in the top rear of the box uses the keyhole system you mention, but it's riveted. I guess that's why this method didn't occur to me. I'll see what I can find at Lowe's.

Outsane, it ain't cheap, but it provides peace of mind. I camp alot, so leaving my rig in the middle of nowhere for hours at a time while I kayak, hunt, etc., without a way to secure valuables worried me. It's also cavernous compared to the OEM center console. I missed that large space after I sold my 1977 Chevy K-5 Blazer; you could fit a 17 inch laptop in that center console. The cupholders are a nice feature too; now I can carry vessels bigger than a 20 ounce canned soda.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:52 PM

I know it is a snug fit with the Tuffy 6 1/2 console, but does it seem TOO close at all? like it might rub the material off of your seat or anything?
Old 09-30-2012, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Brandonlow27
I know it is a snug fit with the Tuffy 6 1/2 console, but does it seem TOO close at all? like it might rub the material off of your seat or anything?
Brandon,

It is a tight fit, and it does touch the sides of both seats, but after 3 plus years, the lid has not marked or damaged either seat. See the attached pix.

There is no way to fit a wider Tuffy box without replacing the OEM seats with smaller ones. Note that I have seat covers installed on both seats, increasing their widths.

touching both seats

closeup of touching both seats

open lid touching lumbar dial

unharmed side of driver's seat

Last edited by wiseguymmiv; 09-30-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:19 PM

A pic of the undamaged passenger seat side. The Tuffy lid rubs both seats, but not enough to cause damage.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:25 PM

Hey guys,

Lots of great pics and clean installs for the Tuffy Boxes! I am also in the process of swapping out the bench seat in my 94 Pickup and thinking about going the Tuffy route.

I can see that the 6.5" Tuffy box will work, but will also be a tight fit. I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with the 5.25" Tuffy Box for the Samurai? In my searches, I located one image, but it's hard to tell how well it really fits, along with it's functionality as an arm rest. Any info or pics would be great. I'm also open to different options than the Tuffy, but want a clean look!

Thanks
Old 12-05-2012, 02:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I put in 8 inch tuffy from a bronco... very tight fit with 1st gen MR2 seats..