Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

locker on daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
locker on daily driver?

I was thinking about get a locker, just a standard locker. but my truck is going to be driven daily. I still have to drive it to school and stuff. then I was thinking about a LSD. will a LSD perform well off-road? the front will probably be locked at this point also
Old 03-01-2007, 05:14 PM

I would not lock the rear on a daily driver. I have a lifted chevy with a 14ff rear that is locked and it is a PITA to drive on a regular basis. It also sits on 36 inch swampers which also suck for a dd. It all depends on how much you wheel i suppose. If you are off-road every weekend then it might be a good idea but if not I love lsd's. Im sure lots of guys disagree with me but I wouldnt sling a locker in the rear of my dd.

BTW - I'm in the other corner of CT, Torrington. Hows the wheeling down there?

Last edited by mtrdrms; 03-01-2007 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:19 PM

Use a selectable locker, Toyota "E Locker" comes to mind, or an ARB.

Engaged when you need it, disengaged for everyday driving.

A locker will outperform a posi hands down.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i agree w/ mtrdrms. im going w/ the lsd in my daily driver. chek proformance products .com. they have the trd one for a good price. but dont get the install kit, you can get the same parts for less elsewhere.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:24 PM

mtrdrms:

the trails down here(or atleast the ones I've been on) aren't really technical rock wise, but they're tight. you'll rarely see some brave enough to bring their full size truck down the trail. and they're muddy

Last edited by yotakid825; 03-01-2007 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
Use a selectable locker, Toyota "E Locker" comes to mind, or an ARB.

Engaged when you need it, disengaged for everyday driving.

A locker will outperform a posi hands down.
I would get the e locker, but I don't want to spend that much
Old 03-01-2007, 05:29 PM

Yeah, it takes some commitment to run a non-selectable locker in a DD. I have an Aussie Locker in the rear and it is certainly livable but not ideal. If you do a lot of city driving and parking lots expect some tire chirp and bucking. I don't even notice it out on the highway. If you can afford an ARB or E-locker than do that. I couldn't so I went with the Aussie. Like was said, it really depends on how much you wheel and how hard. A locker will definitely get you through a lot more than an LSD would.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:31 PM

Have you a aussie or a lockrite locker one that doesnt lock around turns?

I still have open diffs but I want to upgrade also and this is what I was thinking about for my dd!
Old 03-01-2007, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by chrishf12
Have you a aussie or a lockrite locker one that doesnt lock around turns?

I still have open diffs but I want to upgrade also and this is what I was thinking about for my dd!
Yeah, it unlocks in the turns but it clicks and will chirp the tires when you get back on the gas. My recommendation to anyone considering one would be to find someone who has one and take a ride and see if it is something you can live with.

I guess I should have said that for the money ($260) I have no regrets and I really don't mind it at all.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:13 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Powertrax No-Slip locker http://www.rocky-road.com/noslip.html
Old 03-01-2007, 06:19 PM

how much is it for an e locker or arb selectable??
i am thinkin bout gettin one and i cant find a dealer or anything (i looked on google)
Old 03-01-2007, 06:23 PM
Contributing Member

I ran a full detroit in the rear of mine for some years as a DD... ya, you notice its back there, but it wasnt the end of the world, i didnt think it was all that bad. Actually all 3 of my trucks have some form of rear locker (87 = full detroit; 98 = E-locker; 99 burb = govlock)
Old 03-01-2007, 06:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by norcalyota
how much is it for an e locker or arb selectable??
i am thinkin bout gettin one and i cant find a dealer or anything (i looked on google)
Well, 4wp has the ARB, along with every other 4wd shop around. Most toyota places will sell you a new selectable. You can get them used on Ebay for about 500

As for the original question: i would recomend finding someone in your area who has one, and ask for a ride. Hopefully they let you drive around a bit, or at least in a parking lot, to get a feel for one. They are okay for some, great for some, and completely unacceptable for others. Try it out before you buy.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AxleIke
As for the original question: i would recomend finding someone in your area who has one, and ask for a ride. Hopefully they let you drive around a bit, or at least in a parking lot, to get a feel for one. They are okay for some, great for some, and completely unacceptable for others. Try it out before you buy.
Excellent point, everyone has different tastes.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:51 PM
CJM

The one I linked to is supposedly the softest locker around, no insane ratcheting noises, no grabbing everything and kicking out the rear, etc.

You dont have much to lose, buy one and install it and if you dont like it you can get back 75% or better.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by CJM
The one I linked to is supposedly the softest locker around, no insane ratcheting noises, no grabbing everything and kicking out the rear, etc.

You dont have much to lose, buy one and install it and if you dont like it you can get back 75% or better.

So does this act like a full locker 100 percent torque to each wheel or a trutrac that divides the torque between each wheel?
Old 03-01-2007, 08:02 PM

i'm interested in this locker too.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:12 PM

What Ike said.

Buddy of mine has a Detroit Tru-trac, and I can hardly notice the thing on the road...then again I haven't driven it much, just ridden.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:27 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IMHO, posis are just aggravating off-road. They won't "lock" when you really need them to (wheel in the air), and the brake-biasing thing is tough to pull off and unpredictable.

One other thing to consider is if other people are going to be driving the truck. A LOT of people won't believe you about staying off the throttle in corners until they put it into the guardrail.

Since you definitely need 4WD on winter roads, your ONLY options for the front are LSD or selectable IMHO. When I was pricing it out, ARB's weren't much more than other options if you factor in that you have some (albeit small) degree of on-board air with them too.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:32 PM
CJM

Originally Posted by chrishf12
So does this act like a full locker 100 percent torque to each wheel or a trutrac that divides the torque between each wheel?
It is supposed to be a real locker, just engages really easy so as not to jerk you around when you hit the skinny pedal on road.

http://www.4x4wire.com/reviews/no-slip/

http://www.4x4wire.com/reviews/no-slip/review/?

Any locker besides an e-locker or air driven locker will be totally different than driving with an open diff. But this model seems to be the smoothest touted, no loud clanks and that other junk or so it says.

Last edited by CJM; 03-01-2007 at 08:35 PM.

Quick Reply: locker on daily driver?