86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

"Locked" Front diff

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Locked" Front diff

I've discovered an interesting predicament with my front diff.

I opened up the front diff to re-seat on teh the stud axle shafts. And figured while it was apart I may as well ply with it to see how it works, including the ADD.

I opened it up, and put the ADD in the ...makes both shafts spin...position. I was a bit shocked to find that both axle shats spun the same direction, both when I turned a single axle shaft, and when I turned the yoke.

Is this normal? I only ask because all the experiance I've had with diffs is that under no load from the engine, and both tires off the ground, spinning one tire results in the opposite tire turning the opposite direction. So what's the deal? Nothing is torn apart, or damaged, and all the pieces are there. Speculations?
Old 10-01-2006, 12:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know exactly what happened!

If you shift in 4wd, and then engage the ADD, the wheels will spin in opposite directions when you spin one of them; however the way you did it was in 2wd, so the drivesahft didn't have anything to stop it from spinning. If the driveshaft is allowed to spin, your wheels will spin as if they are being driven because the driveshaft is spinning as well. This is the same for when you manually spin he driveshaft, or if you're driving in 4wd.

Last edited by mastacox; 10-01-2006 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by mastacox
I know exactly what happened!

If you shift in 4wd, and then engage the ADD, the wheels will spin in opposite directions when you spin one of them; however the way you did it was in 2wd, so the drivesahft didn't have anything to stop it from spinning. If the driveshaft is allowed to spin, your wheels will spin as if they are being driven because the driveshaft is spinning as well. This is the same for when you manually spin he driveshaft, or if you're driving in 4wd.
Yes, but I think thats is what he is getting at, its not happening. His is acting like its locked. His tires were off the ground. So when he spins the axleshaft the other one should go in the opposite direction sice the CV shaft is easier to spin than the driveshaft. When he spins the driveshaft (yolk I am assuming) one shoud spin one way, the one the other... but his werent. Has nothing to do with 2/4wd.... Somthing is sticking.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:21 AM

Ya but like what Mastacox says is that there is no resistance to the carrier to force the spiders to turn therfor the carrier turns and both wheels spin the same. If you hold the pinion (driveshaft) you cause resistance to the carrier and the spiders spin in opposite directions.
Unless I am missing something..........
Old 10-02-2006, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AH64ID
Yes, but I think thats is what he is getting at, its not happening. His is acting like its locked. His tires were off the ground. So when he spins the axleshaft the other one should go in the opposite direction sice the CV shaft is easier to spin than the driveshaft. When he spins the driveshaft (yolk I am assuming) one shoud spin one way, the one the other... but his werent. Has nothing to do with 2/4wd.... Somthing is sticking.
If he shifts into 4WD (so that the T-case in engaged) or holds the driveshaft to prevent it from spinning, the wheels will spin in opposite directions. If the driveshaft is allowed to spin, the wheels will spin in the same direction.

Case closed
Old 10-02-2006, 09:25 AM

I agree, but whats throwing me off is my front shaft doesnt spin if i do that, even in 2wd, it just spins the other tire the opposite direction... maybe thats just my rig...