86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

LoadWarrior on a 1st Gen 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LoadWarrior on a 1st Gen 4Runner

I scored a used Yakima LoadWarrior the other day. I had been kicking around my options of how to mount it (rails, gutter mounts, etc.). I wanted to keep it as low as possible and ended up just drilling holes in the top for the mounts (the ones that normally clamp to stock rack bars. I think it turned out pretty good.. What do you all think? BTW- the straps are temporary until I can find a tire mount and that will be temporary until I build a rear tire carrier.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks good to me. Who made your front bumper?
Old 01-16-2007, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by 4runnerx3
Looks good to me. Who made your front bumper?
TJM. It's a tough bumper man!
Old 01-17-2007, 01:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
i really like how you mounted this. Do you have any pics of how it goes thru the top, like the outside going in. Also what all did you purchase for this to be completed, besided the loadwarrior and extension what other yakima products did you buy just to mount it to the top? Looks dang good tho!!
Old 01-17-2007, 03:02 PM

man, that looks so good and I am jealous!!!!
Old 01-17-2007, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by 881stGenRunner
i really like how you mounted this. Do you have any pics of how it goes thru the top, like the outside going in. Also what all did you purchase for this to be completed, besided the loadwarrior and extension what other yakima products did you buy just to mount it to the top? Looks dang good tho!!
It is the same mounts that come with it I guess.. They are designed to clamp to factory rack crossbars (if you look at the interior pic you can see how the straps are bowed). I just set it up there, measured it so it was straight, eyeballed it, then drilled the 8 holes and just stuck the bolts up through the top and bolted it down. I put some silicone on the bolts so hopefully it won't leak. It took me 20 mins to do all that from start to finish (good thing because it was getting cold ). It came with the accessories too.. Extension, shovel mount, Hi-Lift mount (I need to find a missing bolt to mount that though). My truck is currently in the shop for an alignment but I will take some pics of the outside of the mounts when I get it back and post them up hopefully tomorrow night.

Thanks for the comments guys!
Old 01-17-2007, 03:52 PM

cool. Where did you buy it from and how much did it cost if you dont mind me asking? I REALLY want to do something just like yours for my spare and everything else. Thanks for the answers!
Old 01-17-2007, 04:02 PM

cool. Where did you buy it from and how much did it cost if you dont mind me asking? I REALLY want to do something just like yours for my spare and everything else. Thanks for the answers!
A friend of mine that I wheel with had it on his Xterra. He decided to go with the Thule M.O.A.B. basket (it fits a little better on the X and is deeper). I paid $230 for everything (Loadwarrior, extension, mounts, hi-lift brackets, shovel brackets, light brackets, lights, and fairing). That is a killer deal though as that's over $500 in stuff new. As far as the spare goes, I want to get the mount Yakima sells so I can lock it but I'm trying to find a used one or make one (it's wayy too simple to pay $70 for). A friend of mine is gonna let me look at his this weekend to see if I can make a knockoff . That will also be temporary as I will be building a rear tire carrier/bumper in the (hopefully) near future.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:07 PM

O ok i was wondering when you said everything it came with, b/c usually you have to pay for all that seperately. Thanks again for the help and great job on the mounting.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:10 PM

No problem.. I'll still get some pics of the mounts.

BTW- When I was researching the T-17 getting ready to buy a bumper I ran across your photobucket.. Your truck was the reason I ended up with that bumper because I thought it looked the best out of the options. I just checked it again and I like the new wheels and tires.. Good looking truck man!
Old 01-17-2007, 04:14 PM

Thanks a lot man its great to hear about that kind of thing! Ya if it looks a lil different its b/c im a dumba$$ teen that had a fatal attraction to other cars and it waffled the passenger side. You can tell in the pics, but we took a 50 ton hydraulic DAKE press to and got it a lot straighter, we just have to order a new turn signal b/c the other is broke.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:17 PM

Yeah, I've bounced mine off a bunch of trees.. Just tell everyone it's trail damage . (Check out the bumper and the fender ):

Old 01-17-2007, 04:19 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Sweet rig!

Where did you score the BFG stickers??
Old 01-17-2007, 04:21 PM

ya but it happened to be in the High School parking lot when it happened, so that option is out. That hat looks good that your wearing, that is where i purchased my wheels and tires from today.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by RustBucket
Sweet rig!

Where did you score the BFG stickers??
I emailed BFG and kissed up to them. Said I like and use their product and wanted to advertise and could they please send me some stickers. They sent the big ones and the ones on the quarters (in both black and white). I put them on to take away from the dented hood .
Old 01-17-2007, 04:44 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Nice... I may do the same

Can you PM me the email addy that you sent your message to?

(I'm actually about to buy some BFGs soon anyhow, 33x9.5's)
Old 01-17-2007, 04:45 PM

ya but it happened to be in the High School parking lot when it happened, so that option is out. That hat looks good that your wearing, that is where i purchased my wheels and tires from today.
Ouch, that sucks. Well, just learn and roll on then! I knocked the front bumper off of my Pathfinder back in the day too (wasn't technically my fault but whatever).

Yeah, I got the hat when I ordered my AALs and spring bushings. How do you like your suspension setup? I'm thinking about some new rear springs and BJ spacers until I can do the LT and Chevys
Old 01-17-2007, 04:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I email BFG and told them about my 31s and my plans for 33s and they only sent me 4 of the little ones. They are two tone red and black. I was lookin forward to some of the big ones but free stickers and free stickers!!

Your 4runner looks great!! Love the roof rack. Also love the 3rd gen wheels, just bought a set for my 4runner!

Last edited by Kyle95sr5; 01-17-2007 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:48 PM

if you go with BJ Spacers dont get the 26MM Downey T-Bars like others have said it kills flex, but i really like it, the rear downey 3" springs and hte Heavy duty 2 1/4" longer than stock shackles give it a nice stance. The only thing i need to do to the rear is maybe add a small 1" block for more clearance. Im bout to post up some pics of the flex in my lift thread wiht my old tires on there in a minute.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:49 PM

kyle why dont you just make yourself a bigger BFG sticker?

Quick Reply: LoadWarrior on a 1st Gen 4Runner