Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Limp mode, 93 3VZE

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 09:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Limp mode, 93 3VZE

Does a 93 Toyota pickup with 3VZE V6, automatic have a limp mode in the ECM/computer. Have to ask, I am getting 2 answers on this.
Thanks Jim
Old 05-11-2016, 09:08 AM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
Limp mode for what situation exactly??

For sure there is a limp mode for failure of the knock sensor to communicate.

There may be several other 'limp modes' that pertain to certain tranny sensor failures and coolant temp sensor failures as well.

Generally speaking, any time the engine is running in open loop regime, its a 'limp mode'.

Last edited by millball; 05-11-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't know about the knock sensor limp mode but makes sense to have one. I am familiar with the open loop scenario. A lot of people call it limp mode which suggests that it is running in a derated fashion like what happens when someone ignores a check engine warning in a modern semi truck and the horsepower is drastically reduced in order to make the driver stop somewhere safely and make repairs. The open loop mode in our trucks is how the engine would run without input form specific sensors which dynamically modify certain parameters such as timing. It may "limp" but it's not an actual limp mode.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what are the symptoms?? I had an issue that threw my truck into "limp mode". Turns out it was the ground wire on top of the intake manifold to the fire wall.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:21 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Well for one thing the CEL would be on. Is it?
Old 05-11-2016, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4runner_toy
what are the symptoms?? I had an issue that threw my truck into "limp mode". Turns out it was the ground wire on top of the intake manifold to the fire wall.

I have seen that before too. I don't know what all that wire grounds but I have heard of it being the final solution to a bunch of different problems. Most of which occurred after removing the plenum for whatever repair they were making.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Charchee
I have seen that before too. I don't know what all that wire grounds but I have heard of it being the final solution to a bunch of different problems. Most of which occurred after removing the plenum for whatever repair they were making.
Mine just melt/burned off and I didn't realize it.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:09 AM

I am chasing down a no start, no spark issue following the flo chart in the FSM. I was also able to use a new coil and ignitor for testing and then had to return.

Today I am off to buy a computer safe test light to check the pulse from the ECM as the final step.

I was told that it was unlikely that the ECM was the problem as there is a limp mode and then told the early Toyota's did not have a limp mode. Who to believe?

Check engine light. I took the dash apart yesterday, the CEL bulb is good, but does not light. I tried grounding the purple wire at the ECM but it still does not light?

Thanks for the responses greatly appreciated. Jim
Old 05-12-2016, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by jjrbus
I am chasing down a no start, no spark issue following the flo chart in the FSM. I was also able to use a new coil and ignitor for testing and then had to return.

Today I am off to buy a computer safe test light to check the pulse from the ECM as the final step.

I was told that it was unlikely that the ECM was the problem as there is a limp mode and then told the early Toyota's did not have a limp mode. Who to believe?

Check engine light. I took the dash apart yesterday, the CEL bulb is good, but does not light. I tried grounding the purple wire at the ECM but it still does not light?

Thanks for the responses greatly appreciated. Jim
Where can i pick up a factory service Manuel?
Old 05-13-2016, 01:09 AM

http://www.ether3al.com/93fsm-mobile/

This is what I have for 93
Old 05-13-2016, 07:14 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by jjrbus
... I tried grounding the purple wire at the ECM but it still does not light?

Then you have a wiring problem. The Violet (Purple?) wire on ECM (A-5) goes straight to the W pin of the diagnostic connector, then to the ground side of the CEL. You might as well start by checking for 12v at the Black-Orange wire to the CEL with ign-on. Then check for continuity to ground at V (violet) wire, and if no continuity, at the W pin. (both with ign-on, but I don't think it matters).