Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Lift suggestions and ?'s

Old 01-30-2008, 05:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lift suggestions and ?'s

I've been doing alot of research on this forums about lifting my 4runner and I kinda have it narrowed down the only problem is I have done the search function and I have some unanswered questions which I thought you guys on here might be able to answer I've done a breakdown of what I plan to do on the front and the back. Tell me what you think and what I can do to make it better. Currently the ride is a 1995 4runner Sr5 4wd A/T tranny with a 3.0 it has the factory steel wheels some 235/75/15's on there I currently putting a set of 275/70/16's but before I put these wheels on I would like to fix the sagging issue's they have. It currently has tokico trekmaster shocks on there. I would probably put the way I drive my 4runner as 15% off road and 85% on road i just want to do a decent setup that would allow me to go offroading when I need to do it.

The Front suspension set up.

BJ spacers's 1.5"
Shocks like I said I currently have those trekmasters on there, are they going to be adequate enough or are they going to be short will I need to switch to ranchos 5XXX's series or some other type maybe OME's Will I need to change my bumpstops. Since I'm doing this I'm going to be replaceing my tierods and what everelse associated with suspension even some swaybar bushings. Definitely going to get an alignment after this. Do you guys have any alignment specs recomendation to go with this setup.

The Rear suspension setup

This is where it get's confusing I've done the search and kinda confused so here goes what I was planning:

OME901's or
Land Cruiser coils(what year to use and what size I did the search there are specific left and right side with sizes from what I have seen) I've found some at the local wrecking yard and they can get me a set for a reasonable price)
The shocks like I said I have trekmasters on there is that adequate enough or will I need to go to like some Rancho's or OME's
I know I have to get a Pan hard relocation kit with the cruiser coils is that correct and also a LSP bracket what ever you call it relocation kit for the brakes and also extended brakelines in the rear I think that's right(haven't figured out where to get this suff yet been searching around if you have any links I would appreciate it). My question is will this lift cause a change in pinion angle and at the same time won't I be feeling some drive line vibrations with this setup and what do I need to remedy it.

That's pretty much it if you guys can add anything to it I would appreciate. Trying to do this on a budget too!
Old 01-30-2008, 05:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, thats a lot. I will probably not be able to answer all your questions.

The kit looks like it will work. You've picked out small enough tires that they won't rub. Alignment is truck by truck, and most alignment shops don't have a clue. You'll have to hunt for a good one, and then stay with them.

You should not have any driveline issues.

You only need one brake line for the rear.

Not to be picking on you, so please don't take it that way, as I only mean this as advice for the future. 85% on road, 15% offroad is A LOT. If that is what you mean, then cool. From what I read, I'm assuming that you are trying to say that you go wheeling fairly often, but the truck sees mostly road time.

For example, In the summer time, I wheel almost every single weekend, sometimes both days. I would classify my truck as 5% offroad. Why? Because it is my DD, and I do 95% of my seat time on the pavement.

Word of Caution. The BJ spacer front will be fine at the lifted height for mild trail duty. As you start to get on more aggressive trails, you will begin to have steering failure, as the Tie rods do not like the angles that the BJ spacers put on there. Good news is that the solution is easy, and all you do is adjust your torsion bars back down a bit.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok the cruiser coils questions havent been answered so I will go there.... you will want the REAR coils from a 93-97 fj80. the longer one goes on the passenger side since it carries the gas tank... and its not that much longer like maybe 1/2 inch or so. the LSPV braket can be VERY easily made, just take a look at where it is and make it out of a piece of about the size of a playing card 1/8th steel at most. all it has to do is bolt on where the lspv is bolted then drill some more holes about 3.5 inches up for the lspv to rebolt to. DONE.

for the brakes you want about a 20 inch braided SS line make sure its the right thread METRIC . you can also make the pan hard drop bracket or just buy one from allpro or whatever .... if you really want to adjust the pinion angle you cant get adjustable upper control arms but id say dont worry about it so much.

you will want new shocks get some OME ones .... if you can PM strap22 he will get you a good deal.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:48 PM

New Complete 2nd Gen. Lift Kit

We have had several request for a complete 2nd Generation 4Runner Lift Kit.We put together what we feel is a solid set-up that gives
you three options.

Option (1)

3"-4" Lift (approx.)

Sdori 1.5" Ball Joint Spacers (1pair)
Sdori 2" Coil Spacers (pair)
OME N98 Front Shocks (each)
OME N72F Rear Shocks (each)
OME 901HD Coil Springs (each)
OME SD33 Steering Stabilizer
Total $614.04

Option (2)

1.5"-2" Lift (approx.)

OME 901HD Coil Springs (each)
OME N72F Rear Shocks (each)
Total $476.32

Option (3)

1.5"-2" Lift (approx.)

Sdori 2" Coil Spacers (pair)
OME N72FRear Shocks (each)
Total $437.40

Freight additional...Email your zip to info@trdparts4u.com for quote.

These prices for the kits are for your convenience. All above items are available individually.
Inquire at: info@trdparts4u.com

this is off the stickyd thread for lift FAQs on the fab page, hope it helps
Old 01-30-2008, 06:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought ome HD-901's, ome torsion bars, new longer rancho 5000's, panhard bar drop bracket and 1.5" spacers for under $700. I have about 2" lift and still have plenty of travel while still having a smooth ride.

http://www.jamesdeancreations.com/4r...htm#Suspension

Last edited by James Dean; 01-30-2008 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well it looks like no one has taken on the alignment question. Go http://www.sdori.com/SDORI_Alignment.htm.

This will show you how to align your truck.

AxleIke, don't you have a front locker and rear LSD? The reason I ask is I beat on my truck rather hard especially since I have neither (need momentum!) and my front end is holding superbly. If you have an open front differential within 1.5" of lift steering issues are minimal to none. If you run a front locker, it's a whole new ball game.

Frank

Last edited by elripster; 01-30-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Well, thats a lot. I will probably not be able to answer all your questions.

The kit looks like it will work. You've picked out small enough tires that they won't rub. Alignment is truck by truck, and most alignment shops don't have a clue. You'll have to hunt for a good one, and then stay with them.

You should not have any driveline issues.

You only need one brake line for the rear.Any clue on where to get it haven't found that one yet!

Not to be picking on you, so please don't take it that way, as I only mean this as advice for the future. 85% on road, 15% offroad is A LOT. If that is what you mean, then cool. From what I read, I'm assuming that you are trying to say that you go wheeling fairly often, but the truck sees mostly road time.

For example, In the summer time, I wheel almost every single weekend, sometimes both days. I would classify my truck as 5% offroad. Why? Because it is my DD, and I do 95% of my seat time on the pavement.

That would be a better way to put it that is exactly what I probably will be doing! I'm new to this whole 4wd lifted style! Thanks!

Word of Caution. The BJ spacer front will be fine at the lifted height for mild trail duty. As you start to get on more aggressive trails, you will begin to have steering failure, as the Tie rods do not like the angles that the BJ spacers put on there. Good news is that the solution is easy, and all you do is adjust your torsion bars back down a bit.
Will those spacers affect the backspacing of the wheelsi.e.(rubbing with the control arm)or should I be alright
Old 01-31-2008, 05:46 AM

So are the shocks I have adequate or will I have to get rid of those too!
Old 01-31-2008, 06:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by n2o302
Will those spacers affect the backspacing of the wheelsi.e.(rubbing with the control arm)or should I be alright
No, you'll be fine with your back spacing.

Also, you can get the brake line at any 4x4 shop locally, or from MANY toyota vendors, like All Pro, Marlin, Trail Gear, TRDParts4U...

I'm missing a bunch there, but those are some places to start.

Last edited by AxleIke; 01-31-2008 at 06:09 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by elripster
Well it looks like no one has taken on the alignment question. Go http://www.sdori.com/SDORI_Alignment.htm.

This will show you how to align your truck.

AxleIke, don't you have a front locker and rear LSD? The reason I ask is I beat on my truck rather hard especially since I have neither (need momentum!) and my front end is holding superbly. If you have an open front differential within 1.5" of lift steering issues are minimal to none. If you run a front locker, it's a whole new ball game.

Frank
First, I LOVE your alignment page! Its saved me more money than I can even recall.

I run 2 lockers. I admit that it can be a cause of failure, but I've had stuff fail before the locker, and with the locker unlocked, on easy trails. If you've been paying attention to other threads, it seems that I am among the few that this happens for. Most people, it seems, can run enormous tires and have no problems. I guess I just don't know what I'm doing.

Last edited by AxleIke; 01-31-2008 at 06:10 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by n2o302
So are the shocks I have adequate or will I have to get rid of those too!
I checked out Tokico's website but there are no dimensions and a lot of bad links/references. So, here is a way to be sure.

Unbolt one end of one of the shocks and measure the extended length. If the shock is 14.5" or longer you can use it without shimming it. If not, you can slip an oversized nut or stack of washers under the top bushing to make sure it does not limit down travel.

If you chose to get new shocks, the OME's are highly regarded on this forum. Our webpage also lists shocks compatible with the spacers.

One advantage to upgrading to the longer shock is that the increased oil volume and surface area better fight shock fade when you are running them hard on a faster type of trail or desert wash.

Frank
Old 01-31-2008, 02:31 PM

So how much lift do these cruiser coils give you!
Old 01-31-2008, 02:46 PM

Okay I just did a search was talking to a guy on the local wrecking yard he said on the cruiser coils it shows to different sizes for the rear I went with a 97 model!

The left side has a choice of 447mm height or a 476mm, which one?
The right side has a choice of 458.5mm height or a 464mm?

He has access to both it's my choice of which one I want!
Old 01-31-2008, 03:44 PM

I'm afraid I don't know about those coils. You might search or hopefully someone else will post up.

Frank
Old 01-31-2008, 08:22 PM

just make sure you dont get the fronts, I did and they are too small around. they dont fit at all.... as for hights I believe its just that one has an extra turn on it.... make sure you get either get the R/L that is taller ... or R/L that is shorter..... see what Im saying? Im pretty sure that they end up at the same ride height. I'd grab the shorter ones as with my springs and bj spacers i still have a rake goin on