Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Leaf spring center bolt - where's the head?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaf spring center bolt - where's the head?

Hey all, trying to put an add-a-leaf in and I can't seem to access the head of the center bolt. I can't figure out if it's just jammed into the mounting bracket on the axle or if I'm supposed to be able to access it from the side where the little plates are welded in. When I have the axle up on the jack the bolt will spin freely when I turn on the nut, though I'm probably 1-2 threads from having the nut off but just can't get that last little bit.

Here I have this side of the axle's weight just hanging from the spring with the jack on the spring. I started by referencing Toddski's guide over in the tech write-ups section.

Leaf spring center bolt - where's the head?-m7u0t0f.jpg
Old 12-31-2014, 04:28 PM

Year? 4Runner or truck? They are different IIRC. My 86 4Runner head bolt was right on top of the spring pack above the perch after I pulled my u bolts and bump stop.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
In your above pic, it looks like all you have to do is jack it up a little more and the head of the spring bolt will come out of the axel perch. The head of the bolt is round, you should be able to use some vice grips to hold it and get the nut off.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by mountainbrew
Year? 4Runner or truck? They are different IIRC. My 86 4Runner head bolt was right on top of the spring pack above the perch after I pulled my u bolts and bump stop.
88 4Runner. The nut is right under the bump stop but I can't get the leafs to come off the perch to get to the head.

Originally Posted by rustED
In your above pic, it looks like all you have to do is jack it up a little more and the head of the spring bolt will come out of the axel perch. The head of the bolt is round, you should be able to use some vice grips to hold it and get the nut off.
In that picture the weight of the axle is hanging down from the leaf. The jack stand is just there to catch it. I tried beating it with my dead blow and it won't come out. I guess I can cut the nut off?
Old 01-01-2015, 11:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, never had that problem before. Did you try a pry bar between the spring perch and the leaf spring? Id be afraid of cutting the nut off becsuse the head of thr bolt is still stuck, might create more problems. It seems like with the u bolts removed, the weight of the axel hanging down, that sucker should pop loose, must be pretty rusty!
Another option, maybe stick the jack between the upper bump stop or the frame and the axel? (Youll probably have to put thst jack at an angle, but might be just enough to pop it loose) Just make sure to leave the jack stand in place to catch the axel when it's free.

Last edited by rustED; 01-01-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:48 AM

I realize now why it was "stuck". I had a jack stand on the axle on the other side of the diff. I think the other leaf springs were pushing down and that jack stand was like a fulcrum, so most of the weight was supported anyway. Good little physics lesson for me haha.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You have to release all the pressure on the spring pack for it to pop out. Your jack is pinching everything. Jack it up by the frame just in front of the front frame mount.