Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

LCE Headers, Magnaflow exhaust installed...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 05:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LCE Headers, Magnaflow exhaust installed...

Well, I finally had everything installed. LCE Headers, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, Magnaflow Stainless steel muffler, Magnaflow tip. 2.25" all the way back...kinda.

Had a shop install and weld everything up for a total of $400 (yikes). They initially quoted me $873 for it and I eventually negotiated it down to $400. Still think that was a lot though.

I love the quality of the headers and I really like the Magnaflow stuff. I guess I'm not 100% satisfied with it though.

Initially i didn't have a catalytic converter on there and it actually sounded really good. When I decided to re-do everything I made a decision to go with a cat this time. I know it's only a 22RE (4cyl) motor and I shouldn't expect it to sound like a V8 but man it sounds like a Honda civic in my opinion.

They initially installed it without the Cat because they were saying it wasn't going to fit to good. Without the Cat installed the guy said it didn't sound too good. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to hear it. So I told him to just put the Cat on there if at all poosible then. He was able to get it in there but I'm not too happy with how they did it. Looks like they came off my intermediate pipe and inserted what looks to be a smaller pipe into the front of the Cat. Not sure how much that's going to affect anything, but I also don't care for the angle in which they did it.

I'm also not too impressed with the welds they did either. Here are some pics...

They also had to use my old tailpipe because they're pipe bending machine was broken and couldn't make one for me. Fortunately the pipe is still in really good condition since I don't drive the truck in the winter and it's not rusted out. I also don't care for the tack welds they did for the tip.

When I get a chance I'll take some video so you guys can hear the sound of it. maybe I'm being too critical but I spent a crap ton of money on the system and I'm not 100% happy with it. I may make some tweaks to it, we'll see.

Thoughts?

This weekend though I'm installing this in it, Silla, all aluminum radiator...
Old 05-11-2012, 05:16 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Were they welding with a coat hanger? That is pathetic work. And i stress pathetic. I'd take that back and demand a refund and/or make it be redone.

:wabbit2:

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 05-11-2012 at 05:18 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:32 AM

yup, i spoke to the shop this morning and told him I wasn't too pleased with it and I was coming back.

Problem is I'm not sure I want them to touch it anymore. We'll see what they want to do.

It was really late yesterday when I picked it up so I didn't really have a chance to inspect everything until I got it home late yesterday.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow you paid 400 bucks for that? That is terriable work, the catalytic converter is way to far away from the engine for it to even work. The welds look horrid. You could of done a better job yourself with a saw and a stick welder or a cheap mig!
Old 05-11-2012, 06:55 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Lol THIS is why I told you to do it yourself....
Old 05-11-2012, 07:01 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Wow, I did do better than that when I was 19, second time welding anything, with my dad's old stick welder! And I'm still a crappy welder!
$400 and they re-used your exhaust? You got ripped off.
Sorry man, that sucks. Good luck on the refund.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:40 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
You should've done ATLEAST the header yourself. I did them on my 3vz ( WAY HARDER TO DO ) and then drove it to the shop. and paid $180 to get the rest welded up. It came out fantastic. The shop you took it to bent you over and you took it, for sure.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:46 AM

I welded for a living for about 2 years and those are HORRIBLE welds. I would wager a guess that maybe it was somebody's second time welding, maybe even first?

Make sure they fix that, those welds don't even look like they'll hold up, especially the one holding your old exhaust on in the back. Using your old exhaust is BS too, that should be all new fresh pipe in there.

Also I don't think they should have even done the job without the bender, that looks like hell and might even hurt the flow a little bit.

Unfortunately the sound it makes though, is just the sound a 22re makes with a high flow exhaust. Like a honda with a fart can.

Last edited by Luvmeye22re; 05-11-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:59 AM

Thats why its good to learn how to weld. Not that hard to do and after a little practice u would be surprised. And for price u paid u could have gotten a decent intro welder. Food for thought.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:10 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Looks to me like the guy didn't clean the metal before hitting it with the rods. And/or had the heat turned up to darn high. I could be wrong though, I don't know the first thing about welding, just some general ideas from what I have picked up on here and some friends.

Oh yeah and nice rad. I did get some flack on here for getting that one.
We will see this weekend at the first mud bog of the season how well it holds up.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 05-11-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:20 PM

Wow, that's bloody awful. Get them to fix it or, better yet, get them to refund you and take it elsewhere... I'd be pissed if they did if for free. Can't believe any outfit calling themselves a muffler shop would mount the cat at the rear axle.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah that's crap - and the cat should be mounted rigth near the header - right after the O2 bung - that's how it's set up on my LCE exhaust - I have the Pro Flow kit and header from them.

I had a shop weld the slip joints and they did a slightly better job. $50

For $200 or less you can get a MIG welder at Harbor Freight and try yourself!

Last edited by Philbert; 05-12-2012 at 08:29 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-12-2012, 08:38 AM

i did better welds with my 115 volt horse˟˟˟˟ welder(i am a certified welded thought). to be honest id raise holy hell about it.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:02 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Was this done at a muffler shop.? They just glommed on the wire until they sealed it. I bet there is leaks all over. That's to bad. Nice looking headers, though someone needs to re-do the welding and I wouldn't let these guys do it. Sorry this happend.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:09 AM

How about posting what shop did the work so fellow member can avoid them in the future. That is the worst welding job I have ever seen. Next time listen to these guys when they give advice to do it yourself.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:23 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Mak and a few others are right..... here's my set up(I've pulled it for now for smog reasons/experimentation), where I put on the header, and they welded in the pipe to CAT, welded in the CAT and welded the back pipe to the Muffler.......... Including a brand new CALIF> 3way CAT(WAY more expensive), 250$(which means about 75$ for all the work they did..........

The last pic is before I brought my Borla back to them(a knob like your guy, before THIS^^^ shop, had put in my muffler that way!)... They had included my trip back there for the Borla install in the price. And, mine sounded NO where near as 'ricey' as many I've heard.

I feel terrible for you, man! Been ripped by a couple guys, including my first rebuilt motor's machinist... Which, as Mak pointed out, pushed me to start doing everything I could(within reason) myself... Welding in exhaust on my own to save 75? Yeah, wasn't worth it to me, but you DEFINITELY got ripped off, I'm sorry for ya bud
Old 05-12-2012, 01:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Skip the pee-ons at the front desk and ask to talk to the manager first.

They aren't gonna refund you any money but they'll sure a heck redo that entire exhaust. New pipe, front to back.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:52 PM

Well, it looks like everyone here pretty much summed it up. Sorry friend, you were ripped. I did a better job with pre-bent tubing from the auto store and my mediocre weld skills.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:31 PM

Received 222 Likes on 163 Posts
Well I'm gonna ditto everyone's response here, sorry man take it back that is utter garbage.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:05 PM

Yea i agree with everyone those welds are horrible. I would make sure the manager's see the welds.

Quick Reply: LCE Headers, Magnaflow exhaust installed...