86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Landcruiser Coils Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 04:29 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Landcruiser Coils Questions

Had a couple questions about FJ80 coils.

Initially I helped a friend of mine lift his 94 FZJ80 and he handed me his springs for free... And then I went to a swap meet and bought another set of springs for 10 bucks. Little did I know, they had differences? I planned to use both the long springs and get as much lift as possible. but I wasn't sure if it was a good idea since they're different.

Here's some pictures:

So the 94 FZJ80 springs are on the left and the unknowns are on the right. BOTH are landcruiser springs, but the FZJ80 ones LOOK taller... The FZJ80 springs on the left are cut on the last coil and the ones on the right are not. so which springs are better? and is it possible to run the long coils from both sets? or should i just use one set and put the long side on the gas tank side? Also the set on the left have 7 coils, and the set on the right have 6 & 7. its hard to tell which spring is taller on the left set, but the one in the middle, next to the short one is the taller side, but barely.

Here's the 94 FZJ80 coils ( the last coil is cut )

and Here's the ones on the right. ( coils are round )

Which would be a better set to run? My stock springs are cut like the 94 FZJ80 springs, and I know how many miles are on them. ( 280k ) Is it possible that I can run the two long coils? or would I have issues?

I also ordered 4crawler's panhard bracket and LSPV. I should be picking up some brake lines and a set of rancho RS9000 shocks to go along with it.

Lemme know what you guys think

Last edited by MaK92-4RnR; 04-23-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:13 PM

Old 04-23-2012, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's probably just differences between years, maybe for some reason they just changed up the coil design later in production. Run the taller ones, if you feel a problem just put in the other ones.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks to me like the set on the right aren't Cruiser springs possibly. They ones on the left are cut like that so the spring "seats" better/quieter than non cut round springs like on the right. And since they are shorter, I would think they are either 4runner springs or Heep TJ springs. I would run the taller ones....
Old 04-23-2012, 10:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd say just go with the tall pair to start with. In theory as they look very similar wire diameter and similar wind spacing so I'd say they will deliver similar performance - they both appear to be linear springs not progressive which is a good thing from my experience with cruiser coils. The extra turn should really only give a slightly taller stance, and depending on your shock length may help keep the spring captured at full extension so that's a good pair to start with.

With any set of coils start by filling the vehicle up with gas. Then mark what appears to be the tallest of the coil pair with a piece of tape in the middle as a quick visual reference point while they are freestanding before installing. Reality is you may have to do a bit of shuffling side to side no matter what side you start with to compensate for the gas tank and driver, but its nice to be able to visualise the outcome knowing where currently the tallest coil is if one side is lower than the other following the install.

Most importantly once lowered under its own weight you absolutely must line up the front torsion bars equally so that the front height is spot on equal height on both sides. As a rear coil sags over life it can raise the opposing front corner, and over the years people adjust the front torsion bar heights compensating for this sag. So first off after install balance up the front straight away to eliminate any previous compensations. Then see how things are shaping up in the rear with the driver on board, and then with your tape marking you should easily be able to tell if a coil swap to opposing side is going to help level it up better, or will make matters worse. So nows a good time to soak those torsion bar adjusters overnight to make sure they work.

Now I can only hope this ramble helps !

Cheers, Darrie
Old 04-24-2012, 05:55 AM

The pair on the left appear to be the same height & are taller so I'd go w/them!
Old 04-24-2012, 06:53 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, The pair on the left are from my buddies 94 FZJ80. I did a little bit of research last night and I guess Toyota made 3 different types of Landcruiser springs. I believe the set on the right is out of a 91-92 FJ80. the pair on the left is from 93-94 FZJ80. and then theres another set for the 95-97 years. According to what I found out the 93-94 offer the most lift, and the stiffest ride, due to the coils being closer together. So since I know more about the pair on the left, I think im gonna run them and sell the other set.

I've been exchanging emails with Slosurfer and he said his coils like the ones on the right. His didn't have the coil shim, and he said one was definitely taller than the short side and no where near the same height. So both are legitimately FJ80 coil springs, just different years.

Im gonna run the set on the left. They're exactly the same as my stock coils ( they're also cut ) so we'll see what it does and how it sits/rides.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:42 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
a lot of the Cruiser coils come in different length pairs like you have for the rear. the long side goes on gas tank side since you'd always have a load on that side.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by highonpottery
a lot of the Cruiser coils come in different length pairs like you have for the rear. the long side goes on gas tank side since you'd always have a load on that side.
Yeah, I knew that. But I was gonna run BOTH the long sides from each set until I noticed they were both different coils from different years. So now Im just gonna run the coil set to the left. put the longer side on the passenger side since thats where my gas tank, tire, and hi-lift jack sit.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
Yeah, I knew that. But I was gonna run BOTH the long sides from each set until I noticed they were both different coils from different years. So now Im just gonna run the coil set to the left. put the longer side on the passenger side since thats where my gas tank, tire, and hi-lift jack sit.
wondering if u finished this and if u have any pics of the finished product
Old 07-31-2012, 08:05 AM

I sold the truck. never got around to it.