Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

KYB shocks

Old 10-23-2008, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KYB shocks

ok well guys im runing IFS 2wd truck, and i wnated to know if u guys have any experience with KYB shocks and what was it like, and if so what shocks from them, just wondering if its worth getting some new shocks, currently i am using monroes and they just arent doing the job, on the little bumps they are very harsh and on things little bigger they just bottem out, i got the torsion bars set up tight too. basically im doing more of prerunner truck for the sand dunes, so somethign good for woops, just wnat to make my truck a little better, thanks. any advice appreciated here.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:21 PM

KYB are a decent shock, and a great bang for the buck. They are quite a bit better than Monroe IME. If you want REAL bang for your buck, get a set of Bilsteins....those suckers will last forever + a day.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:24 PM

lol my billies are in dire need of a replacement
Old 10-23-2008, 10:51 PM

"...on things little bigger they just bottem out..."

Either you just need new shocks; ANY new shocks, will do...
Or, you're in a different league.

ALL shocks wear out; expensive shocks may last longer, or not. You might be paying for the color of the paint.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had stock length KYB Monomax shocks on my 2nd gen 4wd 4runner for about 3000 miles and they do a great job on and off road. They are definitely stiff though. Best shocks I've had so far.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by anotherjeff
"...on things little bigger they just bottem out..."

Either you just need new shocks; ANY new shocks, will do...
Or, you're in a different league.

ALL shocks wear out; expensive shocks may last longer, or not. You might be paying for the color of the paint.
IME it's not a matter of cheaper shocks slowly wearing out over time. They tend to wear out to a certain point and then blow a seal.

The better shocks last longer because their seals are more resilient, they are designed better, and they are built to tighter tolerances. A friend of a friend had a set of bilsteins that he drove for 5 years. He replaced them with some CO's, and had the bilsteins load tested. They still had 98% life left...
Old 10-24-2008, 05:48 AM

I've used KYBs, they are good shocks, especially if you need to "stiffen up" your suspension. The tradeoff is that they produce a harsher ride than oil/air shocks. I used KYBs on the rear of a truck and oil/air in front for a stiffer rear end without the kidney belt ride.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:53 AM

alright thanks i think ill try and get my hands on some of them, plus for what im doing its more of larger woops so definatly a stiffer shock will help out theres not much of the small chattery stuff if u know what i mean out in the california sand dunes.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:22 AM

KYB makes great shocks. I would reconmend going with the regular KYB Mono's for your rig. The KYB MonoMax would probably be a bit stiff for a 2wd truck.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:45 PM

well they got the gr2, the gas-a-just, and the monomax, but they also said it was for a 1 ton truck , i didnt think my truck would be one ton, what one would u guys recomment i dont know the difference much between the 3 shocks. heres a pic of my ride and the terrian i drive in
notice this picture no woops tho, so its fin on that stuff but when u start hiting like 2-3 foot woops it bottoms out very easy
Old 10-25-2008, 08:48 PM

o ya i forgot to mention i said i had the monroe shocks, well there the cheaper yellow ones. i just need 2 new shocks in the rear and i dont want to spend over 50ish bucks per shock so anything like $100 and lower for 2, what u guys recommend now?
Old 10-29-2008, 04:41 AM

KYB are definitely stiff. Makes for rough highway rides. I would like to trade out for something softer. I already have HD springs in the back. These shocks make it almost unbearable.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:22 AM

I run doestch tech super soft MV 12 on the rear and OME N98 of the front. I like the combo very well. I have only got to run iot for a few days so far and no hard wheeling, but it is such an improvement over the stock stuff. You might also look at the doestch tech prerunner stuff I think it was designed for your type of driving. The DT's are priced similar to Procomp. And TRD has great prices on OME.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i run rancho shocks, they arent too bad.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:31 PM

Hi,
I also have a 2wd that I drive daily and a little on forest roads. I replaced the original shocks with Bilsteins and the truck handles much, much better. As for the bigger 'whoops' it seems that this is what the Bilsteins are made for. While they are just a little chattery on dirt roads with holes, I can't get my truck to bottom on bigger stuff (not trying THAT hard...!). And driving on paved roads in the mountains is MUCH MUCH improved. Ever since I had a GTi, I'm a fan of the Bilsteins...
Old 10-29-2008, 03:45 PM

i run KYB on my sandrail, they are great shocks for the price. I dont know about for toyotas, but i assume they are comparable quality wise.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
another option when you find otherwise good shocks bottoming out would be to install jounce bumpers. you typically find them on the good aftermarket shocks and struts for lowered vehicles but their use is just as valid on our trucks.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:37 PM

my back is fine i messed with some leafs and its good back there, its the front im having problems with bottoming out, so looks like the OME N98, the kyb monos, but everyone favors the Bilsteins. what exact bilstein u talking about the 5100s???
Old 10-29-2008, 06:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if you've got good shocks bottoming out, and the jounce bumpers I mentioned don't help... maybe it's time to up-rate the torsion bars or contemplate coil-overs.

looks like you're going dune raider on us so the comparatively heavy front end will tax the best shocks out there without some extra spring rate to back them up.

on the other hand, proper front tires for the dunes would do a lot too.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:02 PM

well coil over 2.0 shocks look to be nice but to pricy, i was thinking torsion bars but still $600 for the sway away 27 mm ones,

as for u saying im going dune raider, well i guess i am thers not much rock crawlin in the desert if u know what i mean lol, is there a different forum to go that u know of then? i just stick to here and toyotanation. i like what u guys do just not much of it here were im located

and u said proper front tires would help to i got 31 in tires, thats plenty of sidewall if thats what u mean.

thanks again for any advice

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: KYB shocks