86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Knuckle service

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knuckle service

So I'm moving on to my next big project with the truck. She is an '89 4runner 4x4 v6 5spd. Bought this pile a few years back with around 200k on it, for $1900. A typical "good deal," I have since replaced the clutch, transmission, driveshaft, brake booster, and fan bracket. The brakes were in pretty bad shape, so I posted a while back, asking for tips on replacing the braking system components, and was advised that I should do the front wheel bearings at the same time. So I started putting parts together, and just recieved the last of it.

I got the pads, rotors, shoes, and drums from NAPA. I ordered a knuckle service kit with wheel bearings from WabFab. My PS CV boots are both blown, so I got a used one from Yodajims (these guys kick ASS for used parts, BTW).

So I decided to start with the drums since it took a couple weeks for the parts from Wabfab. When I got in there, one of the wheel cylinders was bad, so I replaced both. The DS backing plate is in pretty bad shape, along with the auto-adjust lever, but I re-installed them, and will just have to re-do that wheel when I order replacements from yodajims.

After installing all the new parts for the rearbrakes, adjusting the shoes, and bleeding the brakes, I still had a really low pedal. So I bled the brakes about 4 more times, including the fronts, and still have a low pedal. There was a "woosh" sound coming from under the dash when I would depress the brake pedal, so I figured there was an air leak from brake booster, or the master cylinder. Well, I was also getting a "whistle" from under the dash while the truck was running and light pressure was applied to the pedal, so I started out by replacing the booster. I havn't heard the whistling since, but it didn't resolve my low pedal, so I have to assume it's the master cylinder. I ordered a replacement MC from autozone, and it got here today, so I'm going to grab it after work and throw it in. Hopefully that will get me the pedal feel.

From there, it's time to do the front brakes, knuckle service, and PS CV.

Disc brakes are easy, but I've never done a knuckle service, and I'm wondering what to expect. It seems pretty self explanitory, but I'm wondering if you guys have and tips or suggestions, or feed back on the issues I've had so far, or work I've done.

Are all of the bearings press fit?
Old 01-17-2012, 02:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You spent so much time talking about your brakes, I'm not going to comment on the knuckles.

Bleeding the brakes - the procedure is bleed (in order): left/rear, right/rear, left/front, right/front then LSP/BV (the proportioning valve above the rear axle).

One step at a time.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian
You spent so much time talking about your brakes, I'm not going to comment on the knuckles.

Bleeding the brakes - the procedure is bleed (in order): left/rear, right/rear, left/front, right/front then LSP/BV (the proportioning valve above the rear axle).

One step at a time.
Yeah, sorry about that, I tend to be an over-explainer.

Good info man, thanks! I definitely bled the left rear first, then right rear, but I think I moved to the right front, then left front, and did not know about that proportioning valve.

Maybe one more bleed is in order before I swap out the MC, it would be nice to save some money there.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:41 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Knuckle service is straighforward.
www.ncttora.com/fsm

Numerous write ups online as well.

:wabbit2: