Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Knock sensor issue..

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knock sensor issue..

Hey folks. So ive got a 88 pickup 22re and I am throwing a code 52. But it only comes on after 1100-1200 rpm. Then when I turn the truck off it goes away. Only until next time a drive it and it goes past 1100-1200 rpm. But the thing about it is that it doesnt effect performance at all. Nothing is effected by the check engine light comming on. So my question is: Should I really worry about it? I mean I know its comming on for a reason but nothing seems to be effected by it. Maybe its telling the engine something so it might detonate?? Haha I dont know what to think. I know its just the pigtail that Ill need to replace but I dont want to take off the Intake mani if I dont have too. does the pigtail run all the way to the ECU? How long is it exactly?
Hah Thanks yotatech!!
Old 09-25-2009, 10:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it is throwing a code, it is affecting something. The Toyota engineers did not have those codes for the fun of it. It is only going to get worse.

The pigtail on a 3VZE is only 1 foot long. It goes from the wiring harness on the drivers side down under the intake manifold to the knock sensor.

Yes, it is a bear to replace. You have to pull the plenum off the top and the intake manifold out. While you are in there you might as well do the valve cover gaskets and adjust the valves. It kind of snowballs.

Good luck.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:08 AM

Thats what I was thinking. Theres a reason Its on. It just dosent come on for no reason. Its a freshly rebuilt engine with a little under 500 miles on it. So adjusting the valves is a greatly encouraged right? Ill prob just replace the pigtail for 10$.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:29 AM

Ok so a little hiccup. I called the toyota dealership and they said they dont sell the knocksensor pigtail for the 22re, only for the v6. So I told him the part number I found #82219-35010 and thats the v6 pigtail. So theres no pigtail for the 22re? I could have sworn Ive heard people taking about it. HELP!
Old 09-25-2009, 09:08 PM

Bump TTT
Old 09-26-2009, 11:43 AM

try a better dealer or look up part number on toyodiy.com{great source of info so the toyota parts counter people dont get pissed off about looking up parts for 15 year old trucks!}.I scoured every junkyard trying to find knock sensor wire for my 22re with no luck,finally went to dealer and 14 dollars later it was mine.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:20 PM

So you did find one. Would you be willing to go get me one at your local dealership and Ill pay you for it then extra for your troubles
Old 09-26-2009, 02:52 PM

I took my old connector in to the dealer and she matched it up.It had to be common because it was on the shelf,but I think some have different connectors. I would hate to send you the wrong thing.Take yours down and see if its the same as the v6{maybe} or if they can find 22re specific.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:15 PM

Have you checked the oil pressure? Did you check bearing clearance on the crank when your rebuilt it. Had the same problem on a "new" rebuild were I just assumed everyting was correct. And everyone knows that when the engine goes it is pretty much #2 cylinder rod coming out of the block right at the engine mount, right near the knock sensor. Maybe not your problem but thats what happened to me.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:25 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I was having issues with the knock sensor on mine a while back. Replaced with one on ebay and it was fine for a bit then acted up again. Then went back to ebay got another and still had an issue. Turned out to be a bad splice in the wire harness. Check where the wire comes out of the harness and maybe cut it back a wee bit. Might find the same thing.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:57 PM

I think with mine though its the clip itself maybe? Cause when I got the truck the knock sensor plug was on the sensor but there was no wire in the plug. The wire was just blowing in the breeze. So I tried to put the wire in as best I could by sticking it in the back, then like dripping sodder in it to hold it down. Thats the most possible culprit?
Old 09-28-2009, 12:23 PM

Thats what it looks like if anyone wants to help me out and go to there dealer and try and find one for me. Cause the ones here must be grumpy cause of all the heat or something ha
Old 09-28-2009, 02:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ohyeahcrx
I think with mine though its the clip itself maybe? Cause when I got the truck the knock sensor plug was on the sensor but there was no wire in the plug. The wire was just blowing in the breeze. So I tried to put the wire in as best I could by sticking it in the back, then like dripping sodder in it to hold it down. Thats the most possible culprit?
That would be my #1 suspect. I've also heard of people having luck running a shielded wire (like coax) from the ecu to the sensor. Ground the shield braid. You can try that if fixing the connector doesn't work.

The other factor is that there is only one signal wire to the sensor - the circuit is completed by ground, so if the sensor's ground to the block or the block's ground to the ecu (E01/E02) were not completely clean and solid, that could also cause trouble.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by sb5walker
That would be my #1 suspect. I've also heard of people having luck running a shielded wire (like coax) from the ecu to the sensor. Ground the shield braid. You can try that if fixing the connector doesn't work.
I too believe thats whats causing my issue. So I am going to need a new pigtail. But my dealership is odd. So anyone wanna go to theres and get one for me
Old 09-30-2009, 06:32 PM

The offer still stands help a brother out!!
Old 09-30-2009, 06:35 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Can't find one at a junk yard??? I don't have one for ya sorry man.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:53 PM

Everything out here is scavenged in like milliseconds. Does your dealer offer the pigtail? Because people have bought 22re pigtails from the dealer. So this offer goes out to them. To go to there dealer and get me one then I will pay whoever does it for me. PLEASEEEE
Old 09-30-2009, 08:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.car-part.com

Portal to hundreds of junkyards.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:03 PM

That is a pretty sweet site. But will they Cut the engine harness for me? Or will I have to buy a complete engine harness for 1 clip?
Old 01-21-2010, 09:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey did u ever figure out your problem man? im having the same issue as you.

Quick Reply: Knock sensor issue..