Katie's 3VZE head gasket job!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 10:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Crap, my wife doesn't even cook. :-(
Old 03-20-2007, 12:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
DO NOT use a FRAM oil filter!!! I use Mobil One oil & Mobil One filter exclusively, unless I'm stuck with using OEM filter. FRAM is the crappiest filter on the market, made like $h!t.

AND...I would really not recommend using a clamp on stainless hose...

...I hope your hubby knows he's one lucky effer with a chick who'll do this stuff & looks great, too! *jealous*
Old 03-20-2007, 02:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TNR - I usually use WIX or an International filter -- don't worry about me, i have read the reports as well

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2007, 02:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is the pulley that comes on the GM alternator. Its made for a much wider belt but the Toyota one fits fine. You can buy dual rectifier cs144's wound as high as 250 amps for about $500 but I don't think the Toyota belt width is good for much over 140-160amps unless you really want to get carried away with the tension.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:37 AM
Contributing Member

Sorry, you had mentioned Fram filter in your last post: permacool 1711 (right side ported) 1/2 NPT ports use with Fram PH8a or equiv filters"
Old 03-20-2007, 12:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wow, Im glad im not the only one who ponies up 8-10 bux for an oil filter in my PureOne Oil Filter!

Im mirroring TNR's commets, and this is only meant as a compliment, but you are beautiful! Your hubby is a lucky lucky dude!!!

Is the stainless hose rubber lined? Also can ya post pics of what you end up with on that filter relocation too?

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 03-20-2007 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
DO NOT use a FRAM oil filter!!! I use Mobil One oil & Mobil One filter exclusively, unless I'm stuck with using OEM filter. FRAM is the crappiest filter on the market, made like $h!t.

AND...I would really not recommend using a clamp on stainless hose...

...I hope your hubby knows he's one lucky effer with a chick who'll do this stuff & looks great, too! *jealous*

Its funny you say that, RIGHT after my HG rebuild was done I needed some cheapy filter to last about 10 minutes, I was withing walking distance to WalMart (500 yards) and I STILL didnt buy a Fram! Grabbed a SuperTech or some such thing. lol
Old 03-20-2007, 02:04 PM
Contributing Member

If you haven't ordered your stuff from Ted at engnbldr yet, they're having a SPRING SALE right now! I just got an entire Master Engine Kit for my 3veezee for $378.00 DELIVERED! WOOHOO!

Ted was supernice & VERY helpful; we chatted about engine stuff for about 15 minutes before I finally placed my order.

I also called Boyle Future Technology (see previous post) about rewiring my alternator; they'll give me back a rewire unit with upgraded diodes/cooling that puts out 80 amps at idle, 125 max, for $145.00. I'm sending my old one off this week!
Old 03-20-2007, 03:47 PM

OK guys thanks for the compliments~~

I need to get on the horn with EB - i was trying to figure out what size pistons and rings i need first - but i suppose i should shoot him a call and let him know what i am up to.

TNR- I am interested to get your opinion on that alternator - I would like to put the new one in when this motor goes in and I would like to figure out which option i like better -- The GM with lifetime warranty sounds like a good deal(however those dang alternators with lifetime warrantys seem to always break shortly after being installed )

bumpin - heres a link to the S/S hose - but yes it is woven together
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

So i didnt think the fuel filter was going to come out without breaking but it did (only broke one unimportant bolt) EDIT *** that is surely not my pretty little hand*** EDIT

Anyone see an issue with not using preformed hoses to replace these(i could order the formed ones if nec.) just trying to use some heater hose?

parts i already have:

I asked for a fuel filter and this is what i got:

I think this truck has stock shocks and steering stabilizer still - what do you think? I am going to work on finding part numbers for bilstiens tonight

and my new torque wrenchs - Bumpin - I couldnt justify the craftsmans with the plastic handles

big one is a snap on beam type
little one is a proto
caliper is a 6 inch from chipsfly.com (reads fractions, mm, and inches)

Well that should keep the picture police happy
I also removed the stock airbox, and the 2wd crossmember(under oil pan) to clean them. I dont think the airbox is going back in.

I think i am going to get a couple rolls or paper towels, 2 bottles of 409 and goto town cleaning my engine bay tomorrow

Kat

Last edited by justinking060310; 03-20-2007 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:57 PM
Contributing Member

Try castrol super clean. It is purple engine cleaning stuff. It might be a little priecy compared to 409, but it works great. Wear gloves though, it trashed my hands the first time.

I use the PLASTIC green brillo pads and wd40 for parts cleaning also.

I think before you get the pistons, should the block be decked and the cylinder walls checked? Just in case you have to get oversize pistons.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:58 PM
Contributing Member

That Snap-On torque wrench is gorgeous! My God, that must have cost you an arm & a leg!
Old 03-20-2007, 04:06 PM

185 on egay for the torque wrench( more than i wanted to pay but those damn people using bid snipe) - I wanted to buy it once and cry about it once for this lifetime

thanks for the tips on cleaning -- I have been following an electrolysis thread on another forum i am going to try on the parts - that and sandblasting and lots of brake cleaner and wd40

Thats why i havent ordered the pistons and rings, i dont want to but em twice - I am waiting for my indicator gauge to get here so i can check the rods and diss. the short block

Kat
Old 03-20-2007, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

"TNR- I am interested to get your opinion on that alternator - I would like to put the new one in when this motor goes in and I would like to figure out which option i like better -- The GM with lifetime warranty sounds like a good deal(however those dang alternators with lifetime warrantys seem to always break shortly after being installed )"

I decided to go with factory because of fitment issues and I KNOW the Denso has a reputation for lasting. I was all ready to buy a $300+ GM w/dual rectifiers & 170 amp output, but I just couldn't justify the expense. That's almost what I paid for the entire engnbldr kit! The larger alternators also pull the engine down & you can run into issues with the belts slipping, having to overtighten them, the related issues with bearing wear, belt wear, etc., etc., etc. NAPA, Autozone, & a few other parts retailers give lifetime warranties on pieces of crap because they know MOST folks will never collect on it so they pocket the cash & pay out whenever they have to. The thing you have to remember is the replacement is also a PIECE OF CRAP!
Old 03-20-2007, 05:54 PM

i here what your saying, thats why i am stuck deciding -- trying to decide how much i need to upgrade --

I am going to run 1 amp with 200x2 in the front and about 800 watts on the sub --

not to change topic or anything
Old 03-20-2007, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

With the 125 amp and you should be golden...but I defer to Bumpin' Yota on all issues electronic/audio...
Old 03-20-2007, 09:41 PM

when it comes to alternators, buy the biggest you can afford! Thats how we do it in the car audio world!
Old 03-21-2007, 08:45 PM

With all due respect and kudo's...
there is something about a HOT girl asking about how to measure rod thrust clearence. All the best to you
Old 03-22-2007, 02:03 AM

hmmm... you know i never looked at it that way

Kat
Old 03-22-2007, 03:29 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by justinking060310
hmmm... you know i never looked at it that way

Kat
I call BS....
Old 03-22-2007, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
I call BS....
LMFAO!!!!!

(You made me snort my mountain dew damn it!!)

Quick Reply: Katie's 3VZE head gasket job!