Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Katie's 3VZE head gasket job!

Old 03-26-2007, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ewwww
Old 03-26-2007, 11:57 AM

everything is at the machine shop(i mean everything)they are hot tanking everything for me for 50 bucks(brackets, intakes, etc)

the heads are going to run me $350 - that includes, machining them flat, complete disassembly, clean, magnaflux, testing of springs, valve job, installing EB's O/S valves, grinding valve seats, installing Weasy2k's cams and shims, adjusting valves..... so when i get them back they will be ready to bolt on and drop the cams on and seal em up....

they are hot tanking the block and boring it (he's going to call me tommorrow with the overbore size) for $100

if they need to machine the deck it will be $40

He is double-checking the crank for me

he is pressing the wrist pins out of the old pistons and repressing them in the new ones for $50

he said he would call me by tomorrow with the sizes on everything and he is going to let me know which bearings i need as well(not that i can't figure it out on my own, but its nice having a pro give me the numbers)

he couldn't do anything for me with the throttle body, so i will take and clean that up and replace the vacuum hoses.

they have the oil pan and windage tray (i think thats what its called; baffle) and they are cleaning that up for me

I am going to drop the radiator at the radiator shop tom. to have them polish that up. I thought i read on here that the rad shop will clean out the oil cooler too? anybody done this?

I'm sure I missed something, but that's what I have for the moment.

Kat
Old 03-26-2007, 12:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by justinking060310
I thought i read on here that the rad shop will clean out the oil cooler too? anybody done this?

Kat
Oh it's an auto? Or are you talking about the engine oil cooler? I've cleaned out a tranny cooler before. Or you could also bypass the factory tranny cooler and install a big aftermarket cooler. When I flushed a tranny cooler I hooked it up to my parts washer pump line and let it flush for about 5 mins. But I cleaned the parts washer first and put in a new filter and new solvent:

Then after blowing it out good and letting it dry I filled it up with ATF and drained it out again.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
One thing to look at whilst you are under there is the teeny tiny ATF coooler. It's usually hidden from underside inspection courtesy of a welded on skid plate, but its not uncommon for this SMALL (4"x 8") atf cooler to become entirely plugged with dirt.

Mine was!

45 minutes of blasting it at pointblank range with a air nozzle at 120psi + the liquid suction (Its this cool doohickey that will suck a liquid into the air stream and blow it out the nozzle) in gasoline cleared it out.

In retrospect me using gasoline was probably not the best idea. While it's a great organic solvent, when it's aresolized it's HIGHLY explosive, and lemme tell you there was a HUGE cloud of aresolized gasoline around after I got done...
Old 03-26-2007, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
One thing to look at whilst you are under there is the teeny tiny ATF coooler. It's usually hidden from underside inspection courtesy of a welded on skid plate, but its not uncommon for this SMALL (4"x 8") atf cooler to become entirely plugged with dirt.

Mine was!

45 minutes of blasting it at pointblank range with a air nozzle at 120psi + the liquid suction (Its this cool doohickey that will suck a liquid into the air stream and blow it out the nozzle) in gasoline cleared it out.

In retrospect me using gasoline was probably not the best idea. While it's a great organic solvent, when it's aresolized it's HIGHLY explosive, and lemme tell you there was a HUGE cloud of aresolized gasoline around after I got done...
Yeah if shes putting on those headers it will have to be relocated or replaced anyway.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:13 PM

I reckon you guys are talking about the transfer case cooler under the truck? if so, I don't have one of those.

Goat- I am talking about the engine oil cooler -- I am dropping the radiator off to let them do it tomorrow(they will do the ATF side as well. And yes I do have an auto. I want to put an external cooler like yours in however I haven't been satisfied with putting it in front of the radiator and the a/c -- I need to go look at where you put yours....

I would really like to find room under there to mount it under the truck (it would have a fan on it) since i don't take this truck off highway....

Bumpin - that sounds like something i would do with the gas....

kat
Old 03-26-2007, 03:25 PM
Contributing Member

Oh it's 2wd, yeah no t-case cooler on those hehe.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:33 PM
Contributing Member

I want to put an external cooler like yours in however I haven't been satisfied with putting it in front of the radiator and the a/c -- I need to go look at where you put yours....
kat
Here's where I put mine:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...2&postcount=74
Old 03-26-2007, 03:51 PM

Goat -- I like that -- 2 questions - do you have part numbers and I can't see how they are mounted in there - looks like bolts ?

i really like that actually -- you arent having any heat issues in the water temp or with the a/c? do you have that through the factory cooler as well or just straight back to the tranny from there?

**maybe self tappers?**
Old 03-26-2007, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

Goat -- I like that -- 2 questions - do you have part numbers and I can't see how they are mounted in there - looks like bolts ?

i really like that actually -- you arent having any heat issues in the water temp or with the a/c? do you have that through the factory cooler as well or just straight back to the tranny from there?

**maybe self tappers?**
I went with Long Tru-Cool LPD 4454 http://www.importperformancetrans.co...ers.shtml#main

They come with some really nice mounting hardware that you can just cut to any length you need and bolt them in place. Having the engine out made it possible to get in there and mount them. The jury is still out on the water temp, I'll let you know after the first good hot day, but right now I'm running about 185-190 water temp (even with some full throttle tuning runs). I am still using the rad cooler too. The trans temp is about 160 max so far. They are mounted behind the AC condensor so it sees no heat from them to speak of.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:17 PM

Goat - You don't have that concept patented or something do ya, because I very well may copy it

**edit** any reason you didn't go straight across between the two filters and have the input/output at the top? flow direction doesn't matter on those i thought?
I would like to find something that accepts AN fittings thou....

Congrats on your truck BTW, I just got done perusing your thread. If you run into cooling issues I can recommend a fix(not a solution) for ya; I have personally used Red Line's water wetter with great results(only a problem in the winter if you live in a cold climate). I have seen normal 10-15 degree temp drops on v8's and it would drop even more dramatically on our crotch rocket when we put it in there(problem was that it would never warm up in the cold). Im sure you already know of this product, just throwing my .02 cents in there.

Kat

Last edited by justinking060310; 03-26-2007 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:44 PM
Contributing Member

No patent lol, if I was to plan it out better I probably would have just put in one big one rather than 2. Also you probably don't need as much cooling as my setup does anyway. The reason for the hose routing was to have the input at the top and the output at the bottom. That way gravity is helping the flow through the small passages of the cooler.

Oh yeah I should have said earlier, I'm already running water wetter.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:54 PM

very well! thanks for all the help --- I might look for one that is like 16-20 wide by 8 high ---

Kat
Old 03-26-2007, 06:26 PM
Contributing Member

You can probably find them cheaper on ebay. Good luck
Old 03-26-2007, 06:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lysmachia - Hell yea! I concur, the worst is sandblasting - that crap took forever to get out of my hair!
I still had a bunch of crap in my hair today while I was taking a second shower. "You know you are a chick who wrenches when...."

* You have Fast orannge in your shower
* You have to tie your hair up to keep it outta the creaper(with zip ties none-the-less)
* You wear carharts, a g-string and a pocket knife to wrench.

I know the pink hairdo is hot but I still want to remain a chick somehow...

Katie, everything is coming together. I love reading your re-build!
Old 03-26-2007, 07:12 PM

Tieing back your hair with a zip tie? OMG I am in LOVE!! LMAO!!

We have a love affair with zip ties in car audio....LOL
Old 03-26-2007, 07:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have in fact done this a few times out of necescity. But getting the danged thing out is another story!
Old 03-27-2007, 02:39 PM

Talked to the machinist today and he verified my findings on the numbers above and he said to go with "standard" bearings. He said he could probably do 20 over but would feel better if we go 30 just to be sure. The crank was cleaned and checked for cracks and everything and it looks good. Now i am in the process of talking to EB and getting the rest of that master engine kit on its way here so we can put her back together! YAY -

Good news from the machine shop as far as I am concerned...

Now to check on the tracking progress of my cams from Weasy2k
Old 03-28-2007, 06:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
How can you be using standard bearings if he's grinding .30 over? Unless you're talking about the cylinder walls?
Old 03-28-2007, 09:46 AM

cylinder walls my man cyl walls. I just wish my compression wasnt all over the freakin board on my 3vze...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Katie's 3VZE head gasket job!