86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just Seafoamed

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just Seafoamed

i was pretty impressed. My throttle response was bad, before when I tapped the throttle it would stumble/bog before revving up.... no longer!

1/3 can into crankcase, 1/3 sucked into brake booster vacuum line (in 1.5 sec increments, every 10 seconds or so), then the rest into a <1/4 full tank of gas.

Very nice improvement, I will be doing this monthly.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
its a good thing :]
Old 12-21-2007, 03:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll use it in my intake and fuel, but a team of wild horses led by Eva Longoria couldn't get me to put it in my crankcase... More power to you.

It does do ok in the intake though, which reminds me it's probably time for another can.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok so i hear about seafoam every DAY on here, and ive seen it at pepboys(along with everclear at LEEs Discount Liquor last night.. hehe moms here and she was tryin to get bombed) , but am kind of worried about using it. it seems like it would be almost the same as an engine flush, and if there are any leaks, it would make those VERY apparant. i have 255,000 miles on original engine, no rebuild/head gasket work done. would seafoam help me, or should i steer clear of it until i do a rebuild? thanks, and sry to hijak
Old 12-21-2007, 05:25 AM

I'll repeat what I said above... It's fine for the gas and intake, but I wouldn't ever put anything in the crankcase personally but oil. Especially on a high mileage engine like yours. You'll be breaking loose chunks of sludge and clogging oil passages.

Some people feed the stuff to their kids but I remain a little skeptical about it. It works at least as well as STP gas treatment IMO but is a little more trendy.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
I'll repeat what I said above... It's fine for the gas and intake, but I wouldn't ever put anything in the crankcase personally but oil. Especially on a high mileage engine like yours. You'll be breaking loose chunks of sludge and clogging oil passages.

Some people feed the stuff to their kids but I remain a little skeptical about it. It works at least as well as STP gas treatment IMO but is a little more trendy.
I agree with ovrrdrive.
I'd never use it in my oil. All the sludge it breaks loose has got to go somewhere. Passages, oil pickup screen, filter etc.
I use it all the time in my fuel. Works great.
Good luck
Old 12-21-2007, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by gonzo
I agree with ovrrdrive.
I'd never use it in my oil. All the sludge it breaks loose has got to go somewhere. Passages, oil pickup screen, filter etc.
I use it all the time in my fuel. Works great.
Good luck
x2, but....if you put it in your crankcase, do so right before you change your oil so you can get rid of that crap. i put it in my oil regularly since i rebuilt my engine to keep sludge from building
Old 12-21-2007, 06:32 AM

i also put it in the crankcase before every other oil change and have had no ill effects. im a fan of the brake booster line and fuel tank as well. seafoam kicks ass.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:47 AM
Contributing Member

Hmmm...I had kinda forgot about this. Might have to try it over the long wknd. I'll probably do the fuel tank, intake & brake booster. Do you guys just do it at home? When all that crazy white smoke comes out, is it because it went into the crankcase? My neighbors would be pissed if I had white smoke all over the neighborhood!
Old 12-21-2007, 07:52 AM

It's not really as much smoke as everyone makes it out to be and that's just the carbon deposits burning off which is why they say to do it outside or a very well ventilated garage.... I doubt you'd smoke up teh whole neighborhood, but I have seen it happen..

Once I finish what I'm doing on my yota I'm gonna give her a can.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:01 AM
CJM

I put it in the tank and the pcv valve inline hose. No issues and it def helped my T100. I also cleaned the throttle body and adjusted and the MAF it as well but hey thats all part of the same idea to clean it all up.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:26 AM

Seafoam sounds awesome. But what is it, what does it do?
I'm thinking of doing an oil change this week end, maybe ill throw some in before i change it.

Last edited by Chrisnxl185; 12-21-2007 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:42 AM

yeah, i have added it to the brake booster and the tank, and my mileage got better the tank after i used it.

crankcase, ive heard up to 500 miles before your change add some in there...
Old 12-21-2007, 08:55 AM

So would it be worth it to give my truck a little Seafoam? I don't think she's running bad but maybe there's hidden powers that the seafoam will bring to life (a guy can dream can't he) but seriously should I?
Old 12-21-2007, 09:21 AM

here we go again.......ya, its on here everyday. so i may finally have to do it. ah, peer pressure. so whats the best way of adding it to a 22re? i prolly won't want to ad it to the crank case/oil. can someone tell me the "holes", tubes, or whatever other exact entry points for adding it? thanks
Old 12-21-2007, 09:58 AM

people are avoiding putting it in the oil, has any one had a problem with this.
Im think about just putting it in the oil and changing it maybe 50 miles later
Old 12-21-2007, 10:04 AM

i did exactly that and put it in the gas. what is it cleaning when put in the brake booster?
Old 12-21-2007, 10:43 AM

Through the brake booster, it gets into the manifold and valves and cleans up any deposits.

The process seems complicated, but only takes like 5min. All you have to do is slide the clamp off the brake booster line and pop off the hose (it is all right there easily accessible) and let it slurp a little at a time.

The smoke is dense for about 30sec after your last slurp, just climb in the cab and hit the gas to about 3500rpm and it will clear it up in another 10-15sec. Instantly you will notice better throttle response and smoother reving.

My truck has 230k mi and its just what the doctor ordered. I put it in the crankcase too, it may loosen sludge....but do I really want sludge in there? As long as you change the oil within the next few hundred it should be fine. Mine is working great.

Side note, I dumped a half can into my motorcycle tank and it is also loving it.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:12 AM

has anyone ever tried adding acetone to their fuel?
Old 12-21-2007, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seafoam appears to be petroleum based. I have tried it and it didn't wow me. I use the old school methods. For example, water breaks away carbon. When there were carburetors, I watered my parents buick statonwagon and it did fog the neighborhood with white carbon. It was unbelievable what came out of that motor. It did get rid of the carbon knock it had when hot. On FI engines, I use a small vacuum port. Also, I personally put a pint of diesel fuel in a hot crankcase just before an oil change. Let it run about 10 minutes then soak overnight. Next day, reheat engine and then drain it for an hour. Never had any problems and motors always ran great with no unusual oil consumption.

My $0.02

Quick Reply: Just Seafoamed