Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

just purchased a 1990 sr5 v6 =)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 01:56 PM
OMX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just purchased a 1990 sr5 v6 =)

well im not technically new to the board as i had a 91 truck with a 22re about 3 years ago with 266k on it that i sold. but i just decided to rejoin the toyota family again as my bmw is lacking in the reliability department and i remembered that my good ol truck would actually have to jump start the bmw at times haha.

anyway i just got a 1990 sr5 pickup with the v6. it has 166k on it. the repair records indicate that the hg was replaced 30k miles ago which kinda makes me feel good thats out of the way, and its had most major maintenance work done in the last 30k. doesnt leak a drop of oil and the engine seems solid.

looks like the truck has some sort of lift kit on it which is kind of cool (ive never been a truck person before, usually stick with sports cars)

anyway i have a few questions on i think what are probably usual things that go wrong.
1. i already did a search and it looks like i have to replace one of the axle bearings/needle bearing/thrust bushing to get rid of an horrible noise when its cold.
2. the cruise control doesnt work. i havent looked into detail what exactly is wrong with it (not really a big concern for me) but i was wondering how hard is this to fix?
3. the ebrake doesnt work. this happened on my other truck i had too. not a major thing, but also how hard is this to replace?
4. a/c doesnt work. im guessing ill have to probably replace the a/c compressor. hard to do in this vehicle and expensive? not a big concern as it is winter in MN right now.
5. i have the "rear anti lock" light on. not sure if maybe its because the brake doesnt work, but if its not because of that, what are some typical things of why this light would turn on, and some solutions for this. im fine with out abs for the time being.
6. and this is more of a current concern because it has to do with the coolant system. ultimately i will be replacing the radiator, but for a temporary solution can i take some jb weld to it? it looks like it has already had some patch work done on it. seems to have A or a few tiny pinhole leaks in it. from what ive read about the v6's is that the coolant system can be sensitive and temperamental in relation to the hg failing. so i want to take the necessary precautions on extending the life of this vehicle/motor.

thats all i can really think of. is there anything else i need to be cautious about and continually check on other than the usual? anything i can do to improve/enhance on the quality of the vehicle that will add to its life? im pretty happy with my purchase. the truck is getting a little rusty, but i feel i got a pretty good deal, and i love how i finally have something with 4wd!!! no more getting fricken stuck or plowed in so it takes me forever to wiggle my way out of my parking job!

anyway, ill continue to use the search function as much as i can to figure out my probs, but if anyone has any words of advice or how too's and know how on my current issues and feel like responding i would be super grateful and appreciative!

feels good to own one of these trucks again!!!
Old 02-19-2009, 02:39 PM

For the e-brake - did you check under the truck to see if the cable was tightening? I just recent bought my third 4Runner and the brake did not work at all. I got under there and loosened the rearmost bolt and tightened the front bolt so that when the brake is engaged it is able to hold the read brakes much tighter now; fixed that issue.

On the radiator - as a temporary fix you can use JB Weld, but you will need something to embed in it because JB Weld its self will not hold under extreme pressure. I used a dremel and ground all the way down to bare metal then scuffed it up with high grit sandpaper, put down a layer of JB Weld and then cut an old piece of window screen and lay it on top, pushing it into the JB weld. Then apply another another layer of JB weld on top and you should be set.

Its kind of off topic but I've always wanted a late 90's 8 series BMW, and just sold a heavily modded 97 328is and picked up my current 4Runner. What's wrong with your 840ic?
Old 02-19-2009, 02:49 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 02-19-2009, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by toylocost
Damn, you beat me too it
Old 02-21-2009, 04:51 AM
OMX

hey dont have any pics quite yet...ill see about getting some this weekend. last night we had a lot of snow and i finally got to experience some 4wd! i was thrilled with the results and had a lot of fun!

as for the 840, well i love the car, but im having some serious electrical issues. they are as follows: speed sensor, abs/traction control, rear tailights, multiple shorts causing the both batteries to drain prematurely, and some electric seat probs. then the other problems are mainly cosmetic due to me not having a garage anymore and people not knowing how to parallel park on the streets around me. needless to say, i need to get rid of it to spare it anymore problems. the engine is 100% rock solid tho and at least never had a problem with that by itself. ill prob get another 8 series,but ill do that once i have a garage again to put the car in.