Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just did a Zuk Mod...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just ordered the 14 x 100. I'll let you guys know how it goes!
Old 09-03-2010, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hey Sean,.....

I believe it's mainly due to the length-and-strength of the springs in relation to the MUCH higher weight in the rear on the 4runners. My buddy has a pick up with stock springs and it's the same year.... no sag. I believe there are other issues involved with possibly different hardware, but I'll let ZUk answer that, ... and in fact, if you read up a bit?... I think he already did... can't be sure and don't have time to check... check it out though, Sean,...think it's up there^^ lol.

Have a good'n!

Mark

I'll dig through, I was on my phone and scrolling on a blackberry sucks
Old 09-03-2010, 06:26 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Sean88gt
Is the rear squat a factory design or due to the springs slowly dying?
Rear springs is something IMO Toyota has never really gotten right, look as other generations of 4runner, they have a similar squat. My '86 4runner sagged from day 1, bought it new
They even did a rear spring recall for my '05 Tacoma to replace the spring pack with an extra leaf.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:53 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I'll be going through and deciding on shocks for front and rear(more pertinent in this thread to the Zuk side----rear, lol).... Because, as I believe Bigbluepile informed me, much earlier in this thread, "Rancho RS500's are MUCH stiffer than 9000's"... which I CAN FEEL! I have NO bounce in the rear.... but it's a bit stiff on compression, which would make sense of his comment. In the front, I have no bounce, either..... not DRAMATIC enough to notice, anyway... but they're at least 200K old, and possibly original... HOWEVER, I will be doing a special Heim Mod on my Front end soon(Rob2Tech is doing it ahead of me to work out the bugs, etc., .....His buddy is a fab-master and does 100,000$ 'FLYING TRUCKS' suspensions, the mods therein, and the mod will give me far better flex in the front with more travel as well.....)So, I have to figure out the shocks, but I believe he said he's going with a special 'Fox' Shock. (2 X's? hahaha). Eventually, I will be dead even front and rear on the undercarriage with the 14.5" top-2-top in the front and 13" top-2-top in the rear.(I don't mind the differing heights, Zuk.... but I understand why you'd want it level well-to-well.....I just don't like the angle, seems it would effect my high speed treks across the long washboard roads with occasional 'healthy bumps', ...by keeping my front end up a lil and more even with the rear----regarding the frame being level all the way across, especially with more weight up front, no? I'll be doing more learn'n on that, hahaha)

I'M EXCITED, and since I do lots of long roads at 55-60 in the high desert(wash board fro hell), I liked the ride in that stuff on my built 86's IFS(not sure what the PO had done to it, but it was FAR stronger and had dual shocks in the front on each side...????) lol.

LOVE this thread, .....it's not been a waste of time, hopefully as much so for those visiting or curious as for me, the thread writer, lol.(What I mean is, .....I'M STILL learning things.).... I might be switching to a different leaf pack but will probably KEEP the coils, as well as weld them in to a removable plate at some point(shaving off my bump stop tops completely and just welding in a donor-junker at some point if I want to do something different.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 09-03-2010 at 06:56 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:00 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I'll be going through and deciding on shocks for front and rear(more pertinent in this thread to the Zuk side----rear, lol).... Because, as I believe Bigbluepile informed me, much earlier in this thread, "Rancho RS500's are MUCH stiffer than 9000's"... which I CAN FEEL! I have NO bounce in the rear.... but it's a bit stiff on compression, which would make sense of his comment. In the front, I have no bounce, either..... not DRAMATIC enough to notice, anyway... but they're at least 200K old, and possibly original... HOWEVER, I will be doing a special Heim Mod on my Front end soon(Rob2Tech is doing it ahead of me to work out the bugs, etc., .....His buddy is a fab-master and does 100,000$ 'FLYING TRUCKS' suspensions, the mods therein, and the mod will give me far better flex in the front with more travel as well.....)So, I have to figure out the shocks, but I believe he said he's going with a special 'Fox' Shock. (2 X's? hahaha). Eventually, I will be dead even front and rear on the undercarriage with the 14.5" top-2-top in the front and 13" top-2-top in the rear.(I don't mind the differing heights, Zuk.... but I understand why you'd want it level well-to-well.....I just don't like the angle, seems it would effect my high speed treks across the long washboard roads with occasional 'healthy bumps', ...by keeping my front end up a lil and more even with the rear----regarding the frame being level all the way across, especially with more weight up front, no? I'll be doing more learn'n on that, hahaha)

I'M EXCITED, and since I do lots of long roads at 55-60 in the high desert(wash board fro hell), I liked the ride in that stuff on my built 86's IFS(not sure what the PO had done to it, but it was FAR stronger and had dual shocks in the front on each side...????) lol.

LOVE this thread, .....it's not been a waste of time, hopefully as much so for those visiting or curious as for me, the thread writer, lol.(What I mean is, .....I'M STILL learning things.).... I might be switching to a different leaf pack but will probably KEEP the coils, as well as weld them in to a removable plate at some point(shaving off my bump stop tops completely and just welding in a donor-junker at some point if I want to do something different.
You got my attention Chef. Need some details on this Heim mod.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:30 AM

Hey Sean,.....

I believe it's mainly due to the length-and-strength of the springs in relation to the MUCH higher weight in the rear on the 4runners. My buddy has a pick up with stock springs and it's the same year.... no sag. I believe there are other issues involved with possibly different hardware, but I'll let ZUk answer that, ... and in fact, if you read up a bit?... I think he already did... can't be sure and don't have time to check... check it out though, Sean,...think it's up there^^ lol.

Have a good'n!

Mark
It would agree with the weight issue. I've got plenty of sag on my '84 pickup. It's almost always had a canopy on it, and I'm usually hauling a pretty good load. My leaf pack is flat as a pancake.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:09 PM

I'm running 33's on a 22r no lift and it's worked out great on all the trails I've been on. My rear leafs are very tired as well!

Last edited by 86bedlesstoy; 09-03-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:58 AM

Let me preface this post by admitting that I know very little about front suspension, and while I realize that I'll probably get chastised for even asking this, I must know....

Why wouldn't this mod work just as easily on the front? Here's a picture of my very tired front leaf stack (not obvious in the picture, but the stack is actually CONCAVE to the ground -middle of the leaf is higher than the ends- , pretty sure that ain't right....)

...it seems like you should be able to fabricate a ZUK-style top mount and slip a 12" spring over the existing rubber bump stop. What obvious oversight am I missing?

Last edited by Dr. Reddog; 09-04-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:21 PM

Zuk might answer, Reddog.... but if you can't wait too long for it, maybe try a PM to him?
Old 09-08-2010, 10:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice write up Chef!

I did 14" 100lb coils on an 86 Extended cab pickup that had a topper on it. The ride was as smooth as the 2000 4runner that I had at the time.

I did 14" 125lb coils on my 89 4runner due to the added weight of the top and the amount of stuff I haul when camping. Again the ride is as good as the 2000 that I just recently sold.

Just some filler information. I had Monroe Sensatracs (spelling?) on the pickup and will be putting some on the 4runner soon. I also did the 1.5" ball joint spacers up front to level both vehicles out.

Keep up the good work!

Last edited by Junkers88; 09-08-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:55 PM

Thanx, Junkers! I appreciate that kind word. Sounds like you like em, eh? lol. I'll check into the shocks and I might be doing a serious front end revamping(new bushings, etc... OR, total Hiem conversion, etc.... MONEY, is the main issue, hahaha). REALLY need to tighten up the front end, regardless, ....it's a LIL rattling now. Not just driving down the road, and it seems fine until you hit a jarring bump, etc. KIDNEY CRACKING! LoL . NOT as much in the rear, ESPECIALLY with some weight in there. Front though? OUCH, lol.

Take care, Junkers,

mark
Old 09-09-2010, 02:00 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. Reddog
Let me preface this post by admitting that I know very little about front suspension, and while I realize that I'll probably get chastised for even asking this, I must know....

Why wouldn't this mod work just as easily on the front? Here's a picture of my very tired front leaf stack (not obvious in the picture, but the stack is actually CONCAVE to the ground -middle of the leaf is higher than the ends- , pretty sure that ain't right....)

...it seems like you should be able to fabricate a ZUK-style top mount and slip a 12" spring over the existing rubber bump stop. What obvious oversight am I missing?
hmmmm...seems like it could work....the 12 inchers will probably give about 5" lift though. 10 inch coils might work even better.
If you have 12 inch coils laying around why don't you give it a shot? Just put them in place and let the weight down on it....they shouldn't pop out if you don't drive it and you could measure the actual lift.

Here's the part number for the 10" coils(~~~4" lift) .....125 pounds per inch is a good rate...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-R...Q5fCarQ5fParts

Last edited by ZUK; 09-09-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:37 PM

Thanks for the response ZUK. I have the 14" coils which I'm going to install in the rear on Saturday, but these would be too big to test in the front. After looking into it I will probably end up doing AAL for the front, as I don't have access to a welder for the mount fabrication and install.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:44 PM

Just did it today!! I can't believe how easy that was. Had a buddy of mine help me out, it took about 1 hour on the right, and literally only 20 minutes on the left!

(BTW, Chef- forgive me for hi-jacking your tread; there's already a ton of ZUK mod threads, didn't feel the need to add another one).

Before: Distance rim to fender 10.5"

After: Distance rim to fender 14"

Here's a cool shot; did the right side and lowered it of the jack stand before doing the left. That's quiet a difference!

I have pictures of each step if anyone is interested I can send you the link to my picasa albums. I am very impressed with this mod; now I understand why Chef was raving about it so much! It was quick too, I even had extra time this afternoon to chop my full couch into thirds and convert it into a love seat and chair.... no joke!

Before:

After:

Ha!
Old 09-11-2010, 06:54 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
cool reddog 3.5" lift....gotta ride alot softer.....to me, it looks perfect...not too high at all. So how do the shocks like it? Do they wanna top out too easy?

That requires some good skills....how the heck did you do that couch mod??? Were you in the couch restoration business at one time?

You know what we need now....is a smilie icon hopping on some 100 pound coils with a sign that says "I did the ZUK mod".....na, not a good idea. It's a stupid idea....never mind I even said it

Last edited by ZUK; 09-11-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:43 PM

ZUK, your mod is getting so popular you need to make stickers for yota's that say "This Toy's been ZUK'd"
Old 09-11-2010, 08:32 PM

Orrrrrrr, how about,

"Got Zuk?" hahaha

"I've just been Zuk'd"

"Quit Saggin!... ZUK IT!" lol
Old 09-11-2010, 09:55 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Nice job on the couch! HA! trucks looks good to.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by chefyota4x4
orrrrrrr, how about,

"got zuk?" hahaha

"i've just been zuk'd"

"quit saggin!... Zuk it!" lol

^^^nice lol
Old 09-12-2010, 07:14 AM

I like "Got ZUK?", I would totally wear one on my yota.

Funny story about the couch... It's always been a little too big for our living room. My wife has been wanting to get rid of it and replace it with a love seat and chair. There's nothing actually wrong with the couch, it was just too big, and I couldn't stand the idea of throwing it out just to buy two more! So while she was out yesterday I swung into action and started chopping... had it reassembled and reconfigured before she got home. She loves it, and I saved myself a ton of money on a new living room set. I've never done any furniture work before or anything; I just figured worst case scenario she wants to throw it away anyway, so if I ruined it no big deal. Turned out great though!

Quick Reply: Just did a Zuk Mod...