Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Intake question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It aint for a/c i do know that. A vaccum hose goes from throttle body to this valve. Then from that valve to power steering pump & then back to valve. Then to anouther valve thing at back of motor & then here & there, lol.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
dcg9381-
welcome to the state of the union as mandated by the Sierra Club, democrats, Greenpeach... oops... 'peace' and everyone. every step to make it better turns into the next step that makes it worse.

heck... even Al Gore didn't believe in global warmin and terrorists in the early 80's.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:55 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Issues
Geez, this turned into a EPA battle, lol. Well the motor (out of 88 pu) is now in my fourrunner. Its gone rather smooth so far. I checked the hook ups from donor truck engine harness to mine. Didnt see any problems other than i didnt have auto trans connections cause mine being manual. As soon as i get this posted im starting on hooking up harness. Liked to hear her run tonight. But there is one thing though. On my 86 intake there is like a adjustable vaccum valve of some sort on it on drivers side. Donor motor doesnt have it. It just has a plug in it. Do i need to install this? All the vaccum hose are hooked up but a little different do this valve not being on it. Any ideas on this? Thanks for the info so far...
Out of an '88? Well, that makes sense. No real significant changes were made until '89 and on.

The adjustable valve.....where are your power steering vacuum lines routed to? The valve abecedarian is suggesting....those should also be hooked to it...aside from the A/C VSV. Does your donor engine have one of those or not?

Can you get any pics?

Glad everything is working out so far for you. Too bad for us, though. We may have just run out of debating material.....
Old 06-07-2008, 06:58 PM

It aint for a/c i do know that. A vaccum hose goes from throttle body to this valve. Then from that valve to power steering pump & then back to valve. Then to anouther valve thing at back of motor & then here & there, lol.
The other valve thing at the back of the motor...hmmm. On my '86, that's the location for the fuel pressure up VSV.

What you are looking at, though, is the idle up valve for the power steering and A/C.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:00 PM

I need a diagram of these vaccum hoses & valves. Oh, and so far so good on my harness hooking up. Just fighting to get wiring through intake to plug up injectors & etc.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:03 PM

Oh....good luck doing that without pulling the intake.

Would pictures help you at all? I've got a few from my rebuild.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:06 PM

Well looking at it, after the hoses go from that valve to PS then back. Then go to that valve at back of motor you are talking about, then from there to the fuel rail. Trying to up load photos...
Old 06-07-2008, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by thook
<snip>
We may have just run out of debating material.....
we haven't even brought up your pajamas yet...

on the other hand, I'm glad that should I ever need heart bypass surgery the doctors arent running this hose from here to there and then this other line from the front to back and installing a tee...
Old 06-07-2008, 07:09 PM

Yeah pics may help & this harness is working against me. Wasnt easy getting it out. Now its even worse getting ran back through. Grrrrrrrrrrr
Old 06-07-2008, 07:18 PM

[/QUOTE]I'm glad that should I ever need heart bypass surgery the doctors arent running this hose from here to there and then this other line from the front to back and installing a tee... [/QUOTE]

LMFAO, well if you ever do need bypass heart surgery let me know. I'll take care of you. And if i do have any problems while im fixing your heart i'll just get on here and ask these boys, lol.

Last edited by Issues; 06-07-2008 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:23 PM

Well looking at it, after the hoses go from that valve to PS then back. Then go to that valve at back of motor you are talking about, then from there to the fuel rail. Trying to up load photos...
Okay.....that is the fuel press. switching valve. Should it pose any problems in the future....while under heavy load....hook the vacuum line to switching valve directly to a port on the intake and block off the port the line was running from on the adjusting valve. If you're not using A/C, it won't matter.

BTW, you'll need to put the adjusting valve on the new motor with atleast the power steering lines hooked up to it and the one to the TB. That way you can adjust the vacuum load the PS pump will place on the engine on tight turns at low RPM's.

Sorry, I'm having a bit of trouble with my pic program at the moment (PC issues my wife keeps telling me she'll fix). It may have to wait until tomorrow. Again, sorry.

Last edited by thook; 06-07-2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
we haven't even brought up your pajamas yet...

on the other hand, I'm glad that should I ever need heart bypass surgery the doctors arent running this hose from here to there and then this other line from the front to back and installing a tee...
Hey!!! How the hell d'you know about my jammies?! We can just leave those out of this discussion. My plaid's just fine, thank you.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:41 PM

Hey thanks, that is the info i needed. I'll be sure to swap it over. Ive gotten everything hooked up harness wise. But im going to call it a night. It was like 99 degrees here today. But it feels nice out here now. So me & the little woman are going to take a ride on the motorcycle. Again, thanks for the info thook.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:45 PM

Oh, okay. And, I just got the pic thing working....lol. Well, let me know if you need any at any point. Hopefully, I'll have what you can use.

Good luck on the injector harness. Don't forget the plugs on the AAV and the temp sending switch. They tend to hide.....so to speak.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if motor swaps and anything other then "STOCK SAME OR NEWER YEAR AND SAME CAR TYPE AND SIZE"
Old 06-07-2008, 08:06 PM

Have'nt seen any mention of the pilot bearing. Hope there was one in the crank.
Jim
Old 06-07-2008, 08:10 PM

if motor swaps and anything other then "STOCK SAME OR NEWER YEAR AND SAME CAR TYPE AND SIZE" was even a tenth of the truth then why is it just why is it that when all these honda poeple that go out qand get a cheap honda and put a big integra b18 or a b20 in it and when they go out a race and get pulled over the cops dont go ok pop your hood and see that its not stock and far from this "illegalness" that you people speak off how do they get tags on there cars when they go for emissions? oh wait i forgot cause its not true im one of these "honda" guys i used to have a 87 crx si with a b16 dohc vtec and yes i passed emissions even with a test pipe on the car and no cat but wait i though they wpould have took my car from me and said that its illegal yeah ok ill belive that when my turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2008, 08:19 PM

@just a 22re-
just because it is the law, doesn't mean it is enforced.
either report it, or get over it.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:02 AM

thats what im saying lol

get over it if it bolts up bolt it if it dont weld it and if welding dont work theres jb weld a roll of duct tape in the back of the truck ya know lol
Old 06-09-2008, 08:29 PM

Well the motor is in & running. But it does have a miss though. Ive checked everything ignition wise so far. And im going through vaccum hoses & all now. But i havent put a timing light on it yet to check timing. Going to do that next, just gotta find out what that is. Drove it & it did run strong but has that miss still. The miss is constant, just whop whop whop. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, i felt this motor install was going to smooth. When i had it running just a few mins ago i pulled the plug wires one by one & that sure isnt it. Upon pulling wire it really would miss then. And every one effected it. I was hoping to find a bad plug or plug wire, but no luck. It is very responsive & it is strong running like i said, but it wont be 100% untill miss is gone. Any ideas guy's?